Status: Complete

Merlin

Riddles And Walks

We waited till late at night when everyone but the guards would be asleep. My heart raced and I felt the hairs on my arms and neck stand on end with nerves at being caught - it was a great adrenaline rush though. We had to go down to the dungeon's to get to the underground cave where the The Great Dragon was held captive. We stopped on the stairs above the dungeon's and looked down to the guards sitting at a table. I looked at Merlin to figure out what he would do. Merlin's eyes lit up as he stared at one of the spare torches on the floor. Merlin muttered something I'mnot sure what it was, but the torch went flying into the cell area and rattled on a door. This got the guards up and running to inspect, and we ran down taking another spare torch, lighting it and then going in the opposite direction of the guards. Merlin led me down a large stare case, it was cold and drafty on our way down and I all of a sudden felt terrified!

"Don't worry, he's a bit annoying but he's actually a nice Dragon" Merlin smiled at me.

"Annoying?" I asked.

"All he ever says is riddles" Merlin rolled his eyes.

I giggled then went straight faced as we reached the bottom of the stairs and I could see an opening to the cave. Merlin had told me there was only one dragon left and Uther kept him chained up in a secret cave below the castle. I thought it was shocking. We walked onto a small platform of rock and I looked into the massive cave, amazed at the size of it and the shape of the rocks. There was a large perch of rock in the centre just in front of the platform.

"Hello!" Merlin shouted.

There was suddenly a rattling of chains and the sound of gushing air, I clung to Merlin's arm and he chuckled at me causing me to blush a little. As I looked up I saw one of the most majestic creatures I'd ever laid eyes on! He was a rough yellow - brown colour with green eyes. He was massive! He perched on the rock in front of the platform.

"And what do I owe the pleasure of your visit?" The Great Dragon asked.

"I've come for your help" Merlin started.

"Of course you have" The Great Dragon snidded.

"This is Sarah...she's from the future" Merlin said.

"The future you say?" The Great Dragon asked bewildered.

Merlin nodded and The Great Dragon thought. I gulped feeling so out of place here and so nervous.

"How did you get here?" The Great Dragon asked.

"I'm not sure..."I said in a small voice.

"Do not be frightened my dear, I will not harm you" The Great Dragon assured me.

"I-it's not that...I've just never saw a dragon before" I said.

I was still clung to Merlin and had no intention of letting go.

"Are there no dragon's in your time?" The Great Dragon asked.

"I'm afraid not Sir" I said.

Merlin snorted with laughter.

"Sir?" He asked.

I blushed and tried to him my face in my chest.

"Let her be...this is distressing news" The Great Dragon said.

"But I knew it would happen some day" He added.

Silence befell us again for a short time, and I couldn't stop staring at the dragon, I couldn't believe it! there was a real dragon right in front of me!

"How do we send her back?" Merlin asked eventually.

"It is not how it is when. She would not have been sent here if she did not hold some purpose. We her task is done, then shall she return home" The Great Dragon concluded.

"That's it? Well, what does she have to do? It's not fair that she's stuck here, especially since we have no idea what it is she has to do" Merlin said.

"You will see in time what she has to do...for now, enjoy some history" The Great Dragon chuckled and started to flap his wings.

The noise was extremely loud and I could feel the power in his wings as he beat the air and it hit us in cool gusts. We then left and made our way back up the stairs. We doused the torch and Merlin made it fly into the cell area again, this time only one guard went to check it out. We started to worry, how would we get out of here?

"Oh! Throw another one in and hit the first guard" I whispered.

Merlin winked at me and done as I suggested. As the first guard cried out and fell on his front, the second guard ran in sword sheathed; we ran up the stairs. When we got back to Gaius's room we sat down at the table, thinking.

"What could you possibly do here? There's nothing to do here" Merlin said.

"Yeah..." I half heartidly agreed.

As we thought long and hard about what The Great Dragon meant, there was a knock on the door. Merlin opened it to see Arthur standing there.

"Merlin...I wanted to talk to you about your cousin" Aruthur said.

I blushed instantly - he must not have saw me sitting at the table!

"What about her?" Merlin asked.

"I was well...wondering if she..." Arthur stopped and looked over Merlin's shoulder.

Arthur's eyes went a little wide and he coughed and cleared his throat.

"Evening Lady Sarah" He smiled politely.

"Evening Sire" I nodded to him.

Smiling Arthur turned to Merlin and glared slightly. I bit my lip to stop me from grinning.

"Yes Sire...what were you wondering about me?" I asked.

Arthur coughed again and Merlin let him in. Arthur stood with his hands behind his back.

"I was wondering...if you'd like to go for a ride out to the forest tomorrow morning, before breakfast" Arthur said.

On the inside I totally fell apart, I hated getting up so early! But my manners and the fact I had to pretend to be a Lady I smiled and nodded.

"That would be lovely" I smiled.

"Great. Well, I'll see you in the morning...good night" Arthur said and left.

"Good night" Merlin and I called after him.

Once Merlin shut the door we started to laugh and grin.

"I think he likes you" Merlin grinned.

"Nah, he's just being nice" I smiled.

"Trust me, he likes you" Merlin said.

I shook my head then shot round at the sound of disapproving grunting. We had woken Gaius.

"Sorry" We appologised.

Merlin then walked me to my room and bid me good night. I wondered how I was going to get up in time for my walk with the Prince?