Ruby Rooms

Chapter Two

She had walked through the city streets for what felt like hours, searching for a bar that a) wasn't full of Los Angeles 'Barbie Dolls,' and b) was playing decent music. She was about to give up all hope and head back to her apartment, when out of her peripherals, she caught sight of a bar who's name made her breath catch in her chest.

"No fucking way," she breathed as she headed towards the flashing neon sign. "This is just too weird."

Standing at the entrance of The Ruby Room bar, she gazed in and half expected to see yet another room full of 'Plastic Fantastics.' But the surprise was on her when she noticed that the bar's inhabitants were---well---normal. And she thought she would actually cry with relief when over the sound system she heard---drums, bass and guitar chords.

"Hey---you in or out?" The gruff voice of the surly doorman snapped her out of her reverie.

"In," she hastily replied as she shoved the five dollar entrance fee into his hand. "Totally in."

The exposed rock walls and red lighting, gave the bar a cool 1950's feel. But as her eyes adjusted to the dimness of the light, she saw graffiti on the walls and cigarette burns in the 'pleather' seats. She had a trained eye in spotting scars from a punk rock past; they were always the hardest to cover up.

At the far corner of the room she noticed a small raised platform that could only be described as a---stage?! "Hey," she grabbed the bartender's attention. "Do bands play here?" She inclined her head over to the square stand.

"Every Wednesday night. It's the most notorious night in LA---you must be new here to not have heard of it?!"

Adrienne laughed. Transparent again. "Yeah---I just got here today. I'm originally from Minnesota."

"Damn! I bet this heat is killing you!"

"Like you wouldn't believe."

They both laughed then the bartender handed her another bottle of beer. "On the house---" he winked at her. "It'll cool you right down."

"Your shitty assed beer couldn't cool an Eskimo down," a third voice interrupted.

She watched as the bartender laughed and high fived the culprit; a thirty-something man in brown pants and a polka dot waistcoat. He had a mess of bright blonde hair with dirty brown roots. And resting upon the bridge of his nose were the most ridiculous pair of white sunglasses she had ever seen.

"Two shots of the usual," he informed the barkeep.

She watched as two shot glasses were filled with a clear liquid. The stranger nodded over at her and she was shocked when one of the glasses was placed next to her beer.

"Being a messenger of God and all---I give you this holy water to baptize you into the Church of Lushtology---" the stranger grinned as he made his way next to her, then necked his shot without so much as a flinch. "What's your name sweet cheeks?"

His whole persona annoyed her. "I'm Adrienne Nesser. Who the fuck are you?"

She watched as he reached up and slowly pulled his glasses down to rest on the tip of his nose. Adrienne saw he had green eyes. They were so bright, she was mesmerised by them.

"They call me The Reverend. And I'm here to make your existence that little bit sexier---now drink up---" he nodded at the shot. "Tonight I'm gonna save your soul."

One half of her wanted to punch him. The other half wanted to see where his charade would take her. So against her better judgement, she downed the liquid, never taking her eyes off him for a second.

"Good babydoll," his grin spread wider across his stubbled face, "Now if you follow me into the light---we shall begin your transformation."

She hoped the ridiculousness of his attitude was just a façade. But as he held one hand out to her, while the other hand reached into the top of his open white shirt and pulled out a set of rosary beads, she doubted it very much so.
♠ ♠ ♠
All hail The Reverend!