Ruby Rooms

Chapter Four

The dance floor was the epicentre of the bar. The wall of bodies generated a stifling heat as they pulsed and swayed in time to the music. It made Adrienne nervous.

"I don't dance," she yelled over the loud thrum of the bass.

He chuckled. "You mean you don't dance yet. I think more drinks are in order---" He took hold of her shoulders and swiftly pushed her towards the bar.

Adrienne pushed her drinking capacity to the limit that night, for lack of better phrasing. She and the Reverend pounded shot after shot of tequila and between them, they gave the old nursery rhyme, 100 Green Bottles, a whole new scope.

So it was no surprise that when the Reverend took hold of her hand to lead her once more onto the dance floor, she didn't put up resistance. The music had somewhat chilled and Adrienne was relieved that she had enough of her own personal space.

Well---that was until the Reverend fastened his arms around her waist and pulled her body close to his.

"What are you doing?!"

"Believe me honey---with the amount of alcohol I've had---this is necessary. Either you help prop me up like this, or I pull you down on to the floor? And I swear that AIDS grow on the floor in here, so this is really the lesser of two evils."

Before she could argue back, he pushed her head so her cheek was resting on his shoulder and held it in place with a firm hand. It was at that moment that any desire she previously possessed to fight back, evaporated. The smell of cigarette smoke mingled with cologne was surprisingly familiar to her and she felt comforted by it. There was also a fresh, coconut-type scent to his skin which made her think of the nearby beach.

When he felt her relax into him, he released his grip from her head and moved his hand down to join the other one that softly rested at her waist. He inhaled deeply when he felt her hands run up his arms to rest on his shoulders---he hadn't been touched like that in so long---it felt good.

"This sounds like The Kinks."

Her voice distracted him from his musing and when he realised what song was playing, he grinned broadly.

"You're not the first person to think that. And I'm flattered every time someone tells me."

She lifted her head up so she could look into his eyes, confused. "Flattered? Why?"

"The song that's playing is called Red Tide. And the band who wrote it---is my band."

There was a couple of seconds silence and then Adrienne let out a peal of laughter.

"What's so funny?"

"You expect me to believe someone as audacious as you can write something that sounds so beautiful as this?!"

"You better believe it baby girl---it's all me."

There was something in the way that he solidly gripped her hips and in the set of his stature that made Adrienne's laughter trail off. And even though he was wearing sunglasses, she knew that he was staring fixedly at her. But she still wouldn't believe it. The psychedelic rhythm of the guitar and sinewy bass lines; coupled with the sweet, yet slightly erotic, singing voice; made her breath hitch in her chest. And she refused to believe that the ridiculous man stood in front of her was responsible for making her feel that way.

So she let him know. "Nuh uh---there is no way that this is you---"

The Reverend bowed his head in what Adrienne assumed to be shame at being caught out, but the next thing she knew, his lips were at her earlobe; gently singing along with the song.

"Is this passion or---or your red tide---"

She found herself clinging onto his shoulders for support. His voice was so melodious that she found it hard to even think straight. It was surprising.

He left his lips at her ear for the remainder of the song, and with each seductive breath that he took between breaks of lyrics, she found herself pulling him closer and closer into her body. His delicate register hypnotised her and she felt like she wanted the song to last forever. It was beautiful.

She was so transfixed by him that when he took her earlobe and began to nibble on it gently, she didn't stop him. Nor did she protest when he moved his lips from her ear and along her jaw line. And finally, when his kisses reached her own mouth, she wasn't surprised by the way that she responded with willing eagerness.
♠ ♠ ♠
Much love to everyone who reads this :)