Ruby Rooms

Chapter Six

As soon as Adrienne opened her eyes the next morning, her head screamed in protest at being subjected to the light. Gingerly opening one eye, she ever so slowly glanced around her bedroom.

It looked like a bomb had hit it. She couldn’t quite remember how or when she returned to her small studio apartment, but by the mess that she had made, it was clear that her coming home had been a chaotic one.
 
With the way that her shoes were at different ends of the room, she could only imagine the haphazard manner in which she had flung them off. Her purse was in the middle of the floor; its contents spilling forth from it as if it had vomited. She couldn’t remember making food, but there was a plate with a half eaten sandwich resting on it by the side of her bed and numerous cupboards and drawers had been left open over in the tiny kitchen area.
 
And it was then that she realised that she had fallen asleep still in the previous night’s attire.
 
She groaned. As a woman over thirty she thought that such messy, drunken behaviour would have died as out as soon as her college days were over. But apparently not. Ever so slowly, she inched herself up to a sitting position in an attempt to kick start her day.
 
As she sat up, a soreness between her thighs caused her to gasp audibly; much to the dismay of her headache that deemed even her own voice to be too loud for its liking. She launched herself off the bed and over to the kitchen sink just in time for her stomach to empty itself of its contents, much like her purse on the floor had done.
 
The memory of her sexual encounter was too much to bear. The vomit burned her throat and nose, and shame burned every nerve inside her body. Just when she thought that one bout of nausea had passed, she was quickly hit by another when she remembered that they hadn't used protection.

'Great,' she thought to herself. 'A kid or an STD is JUST what I need in my life right now. Way to go Adrienne---what a responsible adult you are.'

She cursed the bar. She cursed the tequila. She cursed the stupid song that had led them to kiss.

Then, just when she thought her headache couldn't get any worse; her phone started to ring. Crawling along the floor to pick it up, she thought she would break down and cry when she checked the caller I.D.

"Hey Paul," she mumbled solemnly as she answered.

"Adrienne! How you doing babe?!"

"I'd be a lot better if you'd please stop screaming at me."

"Screaming at you? This is my best indoor voice I'll have you know."

She chuckled once and slowly dragged her body back into bed. "What's up anyway?"

"Just checking in to see if you are working hard? But by the sound of your voice it seems like you're hardly working!"

His laughter boomed down the line and it made her brain throb angrily against her skull. "I've only been here two days---I'm trying to get a feel of the place before I settle down to work."

"You don't have to make excuses to me babe---I was only messing with you. But I am seriously calling up about a review that I want you to do. Ever heard of a band called The Foxboro Hot Tubs?"

"No. Why? Should I have?"

"Well they're pretty new but they're already causing a stir in the Bay area. And seeing as you're on their territory now, I thought it'd be cool if you reviewed one of their shows and then sent your opinions back over to us here?"

"Sure. That's what you pay me for isn't it?! I'll ask around and find out when their next show is."

"I'm one step ahead of you, sugar. They're playing tonight. And get this---the bar where they're playing is called The Ruby Room! How messed up is that?!"

Against her headache's wishes, Adrienne laughed. "Now I'm one step ahead of you. I was actually at that bar last night! It seems pretty cool---there's a stage set up and everything. They have shows and bands play regularly, so it looks like I'm never going to be short of work!"

"Adrienne---you're a doll, do you know that? Always on top of the game!"

She laughed at the irony. If only Paul could see her now. She certainly wasn't feeling on top of anything.

"Anyway---" he continued. "Like I said, the show is tonight so that should give you enough time to get rid of whatever hangover you're nursing and write me a fabulous review! Understood?!"

"Yes sir!"

"You always were my favourite. Catch you later."

For a long while after she had gotten off the phone, Adrienne remained curled up in a tiny ball underneath her bed sheets; mentally trying to organise what steps she should take to sort her life out.

"Tidy this place---then go to the doctors," she whispered decisively to herself as she forced herself to get up so she could properly kick start her day.

---

Walking back into The Ruby Room that night, Adrienne thought she would explode when the first thing to catch her eye was a flash of bright blonde hair, followed by a pair of all too familiar white sunglasses.

"You have got to be shitting me." She grabbed the sleeve of the man who was stood next to her at the bar, and nodded in The Reverend's direction. "Please tell me the Foxboro Hot Tubs aren’t his band?!"
 
He stared incredulously at her. "Of course it is. Everyone ‘round here knows that!"
 
Adrienne let go of his sleeve and covered her face with her hands in despair. "This can’t be happening," she mumbled to herself, torn as to whether she should stay and carry out the work she was sent to California to do; or abandon it and go and hide under her bed sheets in shame.
 
"Everything alright, Miss?"

Adrienne peeked out from between her fingers to see the kind face of the helpful barkeep whom she had encountered on her first night in The Ruby Room.
 
"Everything's peachy," Adrienne said dryly as she uncovered her face.
 
"Hey! It’s the Minnesota girl! Good to see you again! I take it The Rev. worked his magic with you the other night then, if you're back to see him again?"
 
Adrienne leant on her elbows over the bar, her face not an inch away from the bartender's. "Now listen here," she hissed. "I am NOT here to see him. I work for a music magazine---I'm here to review the band. Now please---just get me a stiff drink and don't mention the other night to me AGAIN!"

Looking frightened, he nodded and proceeded to pour Adrienne two tumblers of an amber liquid. She picked up one of the glasses and drained it quickly, wincing as it burned her insides; but yet she was thankful that it wasn't tequila. She was just about to throw back the second glass when for unconscious reasons, she looked outwards towards the stage, where she was met with the sight of the Reverend with his arm draped around something that could only be described as a toothpick dressed in a sweetie wrapper.

A feeling that Adrienne couldn't place, churned in the pit of her stomach. Was it anger? No, she had nothing to be angry about. Shame? No, she had put that feeling to bed somewhere in between cleaning her apartment and getting the all clear from the doctors.

Jealousy?

No. Surely not.

But as she stared at The Reverend and The Toothpick; watching him gaze into her eyes in the exact same manner as he had done, less than twenty four hours ago; she couldn't help feeling resentful.

And she had no idea why.
♠ ♠ ♠
To quote the 'Mother Mary' video...

Teenagers.

Don't have sex.

EVER.

That is all.

Comment/subscribe?