The Life We Once Knew

Chapter 10

Spencer turned off the car after pulling in to his driveway. The ride home was a quiet one, the only noise being the indie music playing on low volume seeping into his car from the speakers. Jessica had been staring out the window the entire time, thinking of what he wasn't so sure. He set in the now complete silence for a moment, waiting for Jessica to realize they had arrived, but she never did. He looked at her for a moment, and saw that she wasn't staring out the window, she was asleep. This was confirmed as she turned her head to him, eyes closed, breathing slow. He studied her face for a moment. She had a medium length nose that was round at the end, not exactly center. Her lips were pouting as she slept, making them seem even more full. He studied them for a minute, imagining kissing them. Suddenly, her eyes flickered, opening wide. She stared at his chest a moment, then looked up. He quickly moved his eyes from her lips to her eyes. Tonight, they were a forest green. He wondered if they changed any. Her lips spread across her face into a smile. He could not help but smile back.

"Hey."

He chuckled. "Good morning."

Jessica sprang up, looking around, then back at Spencer. "Are you serious? What time is it? It must be very early, it is still dark out."

Spencer laughed. "I am only kidding. It is still night time. We just got back from eating."

Jessica sighed. "I always fall for things like that. No wonder I feel so full."

Spencer opened his door and hopped out. He ran over to Jessica's, just as she was about to open hers, and reached for the handle, bowing as he opened the door.

"I am a gentlemen, my darling."

Jessica put her hand over her mouth, and giggled. "Well, thank you, my dear."

Spencer blushed, hoping Jessica didn't see it in the dark. He shut the door when she exited, and they headed inside. Jessica slumped onto the couch, and curled herself into a ball.

"I wonder how Penelope is right now. If she is in Seattle yet."

Spencer set down beside her, crossing his legs. "It has only been a few hours. Probably on the second plane."

"I am...so scared. My mother is a tough woman. Stupid. But tough. If she really wants something, she always gets it. No matter what. If I am sent back, I will spiral down. I know it."

Spencer leaned over and rubbed her back gently. He scooted closer, and wrapped one arm around her back. She relaxed against him, uncurling herself.

"I doubt that will ever happen. You'll be eighteen next week. If that happens, I will go to Seattle and steal you back."

Jessica laughed for a second, before stopping abruptly. "Having you as a super hero wouldn't be so bad, Wonder Boy." She looked up at him and winked.

He chuckled. "So you know what Penelope calls me. I like my nickname, thank you very much."

Jessica smiled and bit her lip. "I like it too. Really. It fits you. But to me, you are less of a wonder boy, and more of a wonderful boy."

Spencer blushed. "Thank you."

Jessica sighed. "You know, sometimes I wonder what my life would have been like if Penelope took me with her. She left when I was five, did you know that? The memories I have of her are foggy at best. A while after she left, I would cry. Whenever anything happened at home, I would go into my room and pray. Not to a god. To Penelope. Asking her to come save me, like Prince Charming, in a big carriage. As the years went by, she seemed to become less real to me. Less like an actual human being, and more like a figment of my imagination. I knew she was real. But I couldn't reach out and touch her, hear her voice."

Spencer nodded, understandingly. "Why did you never talk to her on the phone?"

"Would you want to talk to someone who left you? When I got older, I started to hate her. Here she was, living some fantastic life, and there I was, slowly killing myself. She never rescued me like I prayed. And for that, I hated her. I don't now of course. Getting to know her in this short time, seeing our similarities, how could I? I cannot wait to see our relationship grow."

Spencer grinned. "Neither can I. You two are so alike. I see the same fire in you as I do her. She never gives up, on anything. And I can tell you don't either. There is a reason you didn't die when you tried to commit suicide. That fire inside of you wouldn't allow it. I don't know what all I believe in past this life. But I do believe this: there is a reason you are sitting here with me. A reason you are in D.C. There is a reason for everything that happens in life, that I am sure of."

Jessica smiled up at him, tears gathering in her eyes. He was right, of course. There had to be a reason. A reason she was alive, a reason she was in D.C, a reason she was sitting there with him. Without thinking, she leaned her head up and kissed Spencer gently on the lips. She felt his body tense up against hers, then relax. His lips were soft and full, and she smiled as they kissed her back. She wrapped her arms around his head, pulling him down further, deepening their kiss.

So maybe she didn't have all the answers. And maybe there was a big ball of anxiety forming in her stomach, as she waited to hear from her sister. But she didn't care, not at that moment. In that moment, the only thing, or rather person, she cared about was Spencer. She wanted him, needed him. And for now, that was good enough for her. Knowing he was there was the only certainty she needed at the moment.
♠ ♠ ♠
So so sorry for the terribly long wait! College has been crazy. But I am oh so happy to be back. =D