The Life We Once Knew

Chapter 7

Jessica woke up early the next morning. She was excited to see Spencer, and to talk with him, if nothing else. She loved how mysterious and complex he was, and how he didn’t even know. She knew she was probably getting in way over her head though. She was naive, and she was certain she was more trouble than she was worth. And Spencer was a genius, who didn’t fit the stereotype. Geniuses were supposed to have outrageous uncombed hair and long fingernails. And be unattractive. Spencer’s hair was long, but neatly groomed, and he certainly did not have long fingernails. And god, she thought he was attractive. And he didn’t even see himself as attractive, which made him look even better. She knew she was too optimistic about the situation. Nothing was going to happen between them, no matter how much she secretly hoped something would. But, she concluded, she would rather be friends with him than nothing at all.

She jumped out of bed, and started packing, trying to not think about it. She grabbed some clothes and started folding them, when she heard a knock at the door.

“Jessica, can I come in?”

Jessica opened the door, and saw her sister standing there with two suitcases in hand. She looked past Jessica and gasped.

“Are you serious?! You haven’t packed yet?!”

Jessica looked at Penelope, confused.

“Well, we have all day, don’t we? I mean, you’re not leaving until tonight.”

Penelope nodded. “I’m not, but I was hoping to drop you off early, so I could go say bye to…someone.”

Jessica smiled mischievously . “Would this someone be Derek Morgan?”

Penelope blushed. She did want to say goodbye to him. It was silly, she knew. But before he would leave for a case, she would always personally say bye to him, and well, she wanted to do the same.

“Yes. But it’s not what you think!”

Jessica grinned, and continued packing. She knew her sister really liked Derek, but truth be told, he seemed like a player to her. Her sister didn’t deserve to have her heart broken. She wished that if Derek really liked Penelope, and it seems he does, he would hurry up and make a move.

Penelope walked over, and started to help, when the doorbell rang.

“You, Jessica, continue packing. I’ll get the door!”

Jessica nodded, and Penelope walked quickly to the door.

She opened it, and smiled. Derek was standing there, with a teddy bear.

“I thought, since you always say bye to me before I leave to go somewhere, I would do the same for you. And, I got you a traveling companion.” He held out the teddy bear to Penelope, who, instead of taking it, grabbed Derek and gave him a huge hug!

“Thank you love! I will take it with me, most definitely. It will help me through this.”

Derek smiled. “I hope so, baby girl.”

Penelope reached over, and hugged him again. “I wish you were coming with me. I am so scared, I need all the support I can get.”

Derek kissed her forehead. “I wish I were coming with you too, but I am needed here at the BAU. But, whenever you need me, don’t hesitate to call. I always have my cell phone with me, you know that.”

Penelope leaned back, and smiled. “I know.”

Suddenly, Jessica burst through, carrying two suitcases. “Okay! I am now officially done packing! I think…”

Penelope and Derek broke apart, and laughed.

“Well, sis, that was quick!”

“Well, I’m only staying with Spencer two nights!”

Penelope laughed. “True.”

Derek smiled at them both. “Is it okay with you if I kidnap your sister for the day, Jessica?”

Jessica smiled. “As long as she is consenting, that’s totally fine! Just have her back by 5, so she can get to the airport in time!”

Derek laughed. “Don’t worry, I will!”

Penelope grabbed her purse and followed Derek out the door. She smiled to herself. He was one of the best friends she had, and she didn’t want to lose him. That’s why she was trying her best to get over him, she had to. It was more than obvious he didn’t want to be with her, no matter what Jessica said. If he were as attracted to her as Jessica believed, he would have made a move by now. She didn’t want her feelings for him to get in the way of their friendship.

“Get in, my love,” Derek said jokingly.

Penelope laughed, and blushed when Derek winked at her as she got in. Damn it. Her plan was failing so far. She tried to stop blushing, as Derek got in on the other side.

She looked in the side mirror, making sure her face wasn’t flushed. She had to stop feeling this way for him. God, if only she could.

Derek smiled over at her. “I really would like to talk, so can we go to the park?”

Penelope smiled at him. “Sure, whatever you want to do.”

Derek smiled and pulled out of the driveway.

The ride was quiet for the most part. Penelope wasn’t sure what to say. Her brain and her heart were having a battle. Her heart wanted her to hold out for him, to give him some time, but her brain knew, she couldn’t, and shouldn’t, wait forever.

She sighed loudly as they pulled into the park. Derek, his eyebrows furrowed, looked at her.

“Are you okay, Penelope?”

Penelope nodded, her throat feeling suddenly dry. Derek parked, and Penelope got out quickly, and walked over to the water fountain. The horrible taste of city water filled her mouth, but it helped a bit.

She felt Derek’s presence behind her, and turned around.

“Are you sure you’re okay?”

Penelope nodded. “Y-yeah, my throat was dry, that’s all.”

She had no idea how to act in front of Derek now. She was so excited to see him when he first arrived, but now she just felt uncomfortable. She wanted to relax around him, but her fear of continuing to fall for him wouldn’t allow her to. Why couldn’t she just relax and enjoy her time with him? She hated her brain for making her feel this way.

She followed Derek to a nearby bench, and set down beside him.

“Are you nervous about tomorrow? You seem to be.”

Penelope nodded. “Yeah, a little.” At the moment, however, she were more nervous about the present situation than seeing her family, and fighting for her sister.

“It will all be fine, I’m sure. I doubt they will send her back to Seattle.”

Penelope nodded. “I doubt they will, too. She’ll be 18 in a week, for crying out loud!”

Derek laughed. “You sound determined.”

Penelope blushed and laughed. “I am. I can’t let her leave. God only knows what would happen to her.”

Derek nodded. “She’s lucky to have you.”

Penelope blushed again, cursing herself inside her head. She needed to stop this damn blushing. She could tell he knew how he made her feel. She was determined not to let him get satisfaction out of this!

“Um, thanks. So what are your plans for the weekend?”

Derek leaned back. “Work, work, and more work. And if I have some time off, I would like to go on a date.”

Penelope’s heart sank. She knew she had to move on. But at the moment, she felt horrible. Why now, though? She had heard countless stories of him with other women. And then, she didn’t feel like this. In fact, some were entertaining. Deep down, though, she knew why she was feeling bad now. Penelope knew the time had come to stop hoping something would happen, stop thinking to herself, “after this girl, he’ll try to settle down”. She was starting to realize once a player, always a player. And it hurt. Oh god, did it hurt. She could make a move, sure, but the fear of rejection and their friendship being ruined wasn’t a risk she was willing to take.

Derek continued, “I asked out a girl, Melanie, a lawyer. She seems nice, but we’ll see how it goes. I haven’t got a chance to set up a time to go out with her though, because Hotch has been working us like crazy. Once this case is over with I hope to get the chance to make plans with her.”

Penelope nodded. “Well, good luck with her.”

Derek smiled. “You always say that.”

Penelope laughed. “Well, there’s allot of them to say that about.”

Derek looked down. “Hmm. Probably.”

Penelope shook her head, and laughed. “More than probably! Derek Morgan, you are a player!”

Derek laughed. “I can’t help that the ladies love me!”

Penelope laughed and looked down. If only he knew how much this certain lady really loved him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the wait! Allot has been happening this summer. I am determined to write a chapter a week, so we'll see how that goes! =)