The Life We Once Knew

Chapter 8

Jessica turned off the television and gathered her things as Penelope walked through the front door. She knew all they had to do was put their suitcases in the trunk and leave. She watched Penelope walk into her bedroom, without saying anything. Something was wrong. Jessica knew it. She carried her things into Penelope’s room, where Penelope was sitting on her bed, staring at her luggage.

“Penelope? What’s wrong?”

Penelope half-smiled at Jessica. “Nothing, really. Spending time with Derek was nice.”

Jessica rolled her eyes. “I can tell when you are hiding something. You’re not the best liar in the world. But you don’t have to tell me anything if you don’t want to.”

“Derek is seeing someone.”

Jessica made a small audible gasp. Penelope just blurted it out, and Jessica was shocked she said it at all. She usually has to be coaxed into admitting what’s wrong.

“Sis, I’m sorry. I know you have feelings for him, and I still believe he has feelings for you as well. He’s just being an idiot.”

Penelope shrugged. “I don’t know, Jessica. He seems to like her. They haven’t got to go out yet, but he seems eager to go out with her.”

Jessica sat down beside Penelope, and rubbed her back. “I’m sorry. He’s a dummy. You’re a great catch, and any guy would be lucky to have someone like you.”

Penelope shrugged again. “I don’t know. Maybe you’re right. I am determined to move on. I have waited for him for too long.”

Jessica nodded. “You have! You deserve to have a life too. And there are more men in the world than Derek Morgan. Maybe once you get back, you should go out with some guys.”

Penelope nodded. “I should, I really should. And I’m going to. But right now, we have to go.”

Jessica smiled and nodded. “We do!”

Penelope and Jessica picked up their luggage and headed for the door. Penelope popped the trunk, while Jessica put their luggage in it carefully.

They drove in silence to Spencer’s. Jessica looked out to see the house. It wasn’t what she really expected from the outside. He was an odd man, who loved so many different things, and was so…complex. It surprised her that the outside of his house was so ordinary. Brick. No decorations or anything. Normal. And Spencer Reid was certainly not normal.

“Well, I guess you better go before I miss my plane!”

Jessica shrugged. She knew she was going to miss her sister. They had already grown close, despite all the problems at hand. She turned to her sister, tears forming in her eyes.

“Penelope. I hope I can stay.”

Penelope grabbed Jessica in a bear hug. “Don’t you dare talk like that! You know you will be!”
Jessica smiled. She knew Penelope was right. Why she questioned her she had no idea. She got out of the car quickly, and waited for Penelope to pop the trunk. She grabbed her bags, and smiled at her sister.

“Well, bye.”

Penelope got out of the car, and hugged Jessica tightly. “Everything will be fine, I promise. If anyone should be nervous, it’s me. I have to see them again after all these years.”

Jessica frowned. “I didn’t even think about that. I guess I’ve been so worried about being sent back that I didn’t think about how you felt. I’m sorry.”

Penelope shrugged. “It’s fine. I will get through this, I know. Just promise me one thing.”

“What?”

Penelope smiled. “Stay out of trouble. And be good for Spencer.”

Jessica smirked. “Oh, I will be.”

Penelope laughed and rolled her eyes. “I’m sure!”

Jessica smiled, and waved over Penelope’s shoulder. Penelope turned around and saw Spencer, walking toward them, hands in his pockets nervously. Did Spencer have a thing for Jessica as well? He seemed to be more nervous than his usual awkwardness, and seemed to be blushing a bit. Hmm.

“Can I help you with your bags?”

Jessica shook her head. “No, I think I have them. But thank you anyway.” She blushed.

“It’s, um, no problem.”

Spencer watched Jessica carry her bags inside, then turned quickly to Penelope. “So, I hope everything goes good in Seattle.”

Penelope smiled. “So do I. Jessica will be staying here, no matter what happens. That I am sure of.”

Spencer smiled. “That’s good. If there is anything I can do to help, let me know. I want her to stay as well. Just because, you know, it will be better for her.”

Penelope rolled her eyes. “Yeah, I’m sure THAT’S the only reason.”

Spencer looked at her, surprised. “W-what do you mean?!”

Penelope laughed. “You know what I mean. I’ve seen the way you two look at each other. There is definitely some sort of attraction there.”

Spencer looked shocked. “There is, um, nothing of the sort!”

Penelope scoffed. “Yeah, sure. Just keep in mind, she is 17. But in a week, she will be 18...”

Spencer smiled. “I w-will keep that in mind. Even though it doesn’t matter to me.”

Penelope rolled her eyes. “I’m sure.”

Spencer hid his blushing behind his hair, and smiled to himself. Penelope was good. Too good. If it wasn’t for her love of computers, he was sure she would have became a therapist. She seemed to read people really well. Was it that obvious that he liked Jessica? He wondered if anyone else thought so. Maybe JJ, since she saw them in the bathroom that day. Hmm. He wasn’t ashamed that people knew he liked her, but she was younger. To him, much younger. And even though he believed age was just a number, there would always be a stigma if they were to possibly date. Also, he had never really felt this way for any woman. At least, not this strongly. He felt connected to her in a way. Maybe because of their rough childhoods. Maybe because they both had unresolved issues. Or maybe just because he found her insanely attractive, both physically and mentally. Either way, he knew, he did like her.

“Okay, I just set my bags inside, because I wasn’t sure where I am staying, and I didn’t want to snoop.”

Spencer looked up. “Uh, um, that’s fine. I’ll show you where they belong.”

Jessica turned to Penelope, and gave her one last hug, then watched as she got into her car and headed for the airport.

“So.”

Jessica smiled up at Spencer. “So”, she replied sarcastically.

“Let me show you where you will be staying.”

She followed him into his house. Even though the outside was as normal as could be, the inside was anything but. Books were everywhere. Most she couldn’t even pronounce the names of. Then again, most were not written in English.

She followed him down a small hallway, and into a medium-size room. It was basically empty, except for a bed, a nightstand, and a dresser.

“This is the guest room. You will stay here. The bathroom is down the hall on your right, and my room is right across from this one.”

Jessica peered behind her and looked into Spencer’s room from hers. All she saw was books. He was too smart for her. Too good for her. Damn it, though, she liked him. Allot.

“Well, I guess I’ll let you unpack and get settled. The dresser is completely empty, so feel free to put your things in there.”

Jessica smiled. “Um, okay. And what about my toiletries?”

“Um, just take those in the bathroom and set them on the counter when you are done.”

Jessica nodded, and watched Spencer leave before turning to her suitcases. She had no idea how long she was going to be staying with him, but she packed enough clothes for a week, and had a spare key if for some reason she was to stay longer.

She unpacked her clothes carefully, folded them, and organized them in the dresser drawers. She was wasting time, and she knew it. She felt…nervous. It was hard for her to explain. She was so excited to see Spencer, but now that she was here, she wasn’t sure how to act. Flirt? Jessica sighed. She wasn’t sure how to act around him. Maybe, she thought, she should just be her normal self. The problem with that, though, was her normal self was not normal at all.

She grabbed her toiletries, and headed for the bathroom. She placed her shampoo, conditioner, and body wash beside Spencer’s, and her toothbrush beside his in his toothbrush holder. She smiled at the sight. It was…nice. Gosh, she was imagining them staying there. Much too soon to think about anything like that. And who was she kidding? They were just too different. It would never going to work. She sighed, and walked out of the bathroom, into the living room. Spencer was sitting there, reading quietly. She coughed lightly, and he looked up.

“Got everything unpacked?”

Jessica nodded and bit her lip. She felt like a fool. Like a 12 year old fan girl, obsessed with a boy in some band. But Spencer wasn’t a boy in some band. He was Spencer. A genius. And much too good for her. But he was so different than other guys. He listened. And cared, or at least acted like he did. She felt so many feelings for him. Feelings she should not feel for him at all. Feelings that would change everyone’s lives if something became of them. His coworker’s, her sister’s, her life, his, would all be flipped around.

Spencer held Jessica‘s stare, then had to look down, because he was starting to feel awkward. Was she attracted to him like he was her? God, he wanted her to be. He wanted her to hurry up and have her birthday so he could kiss her, and hold her, and…Spencer buried his head in his book, starting to blush. No, it was Penelope’s sister. She was young, too young. But she made him feel alive. He hadn’t known her for long, he knew that, and God, he was always so rational and level-headed about things. But this was different. He couldn’t rationalize these feelings. He couldn’t change them, and admittedly, he didn’t want to. This week, he wanted to get to know everything he could about her. Mentally…and physically?
♠ ♠ ♠
This will be the only chapter for a week! Going on vacation. Staying on an island in a beach house! Ahhhh, time to sit back and relax! Hope everyone is having a great Summer! New chapter when I return! =)