Rainbows and Cupcakes vs. Gunshots and Pills

Foil

I couldn't keep my eyes off of the fish in the tank. It's some time around 4:30 in the morning. My parents woke up fighting, waking my little sis. She came up the attic stairs, crying her little eyes out. She was sleeping in my bed. The walls were creaking with the wind. The wood moaned as I walked over to get my clothes for school.

I closed the door softly and heard the screaming from my mother and Mitch. I never knew my dad, but I never let it get me down. My aunts told me how great he was before he died. I was only 4 when he was murdered in a bank robbery. I slipped into the bathroom, took a quick shower, and got myself ready for school. I got up to my room, woke up my sister, and fed my fish. I shoved the geometry book and notebooks into my bag and ran down the stairs to the kitchen. I packed a quick lunch of various foods, not knowing if they're really good for me...

I grabbed a banana and ran out the door before I got questions from the folks. They can be worse than school sometimes. I ran a few streets down to my friend Ellie's house. Her mom must've been asleep because she usually greets me with some hot chocolate at the front door.... long shift again last night I suppose. I bounced up to her room and sat on her bed as she got the few minutes of sleep she needed.

"I need some help with this sleeping thing," she laughed.

"You need more than that," I snickered.

She pouted for a second, but I saw her agree with me. She rolled off the bed and landed on her feet, walking to her dresser, and pulling out random clothes.

"Uh, El, you have two pairs of pants and a skirt....." I said, a bit confused.

"Huh- oh, I didn't know," she mumbled.

She was still half asleep. Her hair still smelled like apples from her night showers. She's been using that shampoo since 3rd grade... She stripped in front of me, neither of us really caring. I packed up her bag as she pushed her feet into her Vans.

She took the money her mom left her for lunch and jumped all her front porch steps. I threw her bag at her and she kicked it. I laughed as we raced to the end of Forest Rd. Peter Wentz was just coming out of his house with Patrick Stumph. Those two are the funniest geeks ever. They were a step lower than us on popularity, so me and Els usually were sympathetic, but they really didn't give a shit.

"Come on Chloe, leave them alone, they don't like us anyways," Ellie moaned, dragging my arm up to Greenbay to catch the bus.