Status: Discontinued

You Only Get One Shot Do Not Miss Your Chance to Blow

Seventeen

I ran out the bar at lightning speed, “I got the job!!!” I ran full speed towards Brendon who was standing up from the bench when he saw me. It only took me a split second to reach him and I jumped up on him and hugged him, wrapping my legs around his skinny frame.

He laughed and hugged me back and spun me around once while I was clinging to him, “Congratulations Emmy!” He set me down and we started walking towards home, it would be a long walk but I had so much energy, we decided I wouldn’t last in a cab.

“Oh Bren, it’s so wonderful there! The staff is very nice, and they are extremely flexible, and this is just the place I was looking for! It’s close and it looks like exciting!”

“Flexible huh?” He wiggled his eyebrows.

“Oh shut up,” I shoved him playfully and started running towards home.

---

We reached my apartment about 20 minutes later and Brendon’s car was sitting outside, just how he left it.

He walked me up to my place and I let him in, “Just watch where you step, I was kind of throwing everything around earlier.” When Brendon drove me back here to get ready for the interview, I was in such a rush I was literally throwing the clothes out of my drawers and throwing shoes all over the floor in order to find the right outfit.

The rest of the afternoon we spent around the house and outside. Brendon helped me do the house cleaning and do the dishes and we still had a few things that needed to be unpacked and set up, so Brendon helped that too. Hayley was gone all day, I’m guessing with Ryan. I was surprised Brendon actually agreed to help me for that long.

“I think this is the cleanest I have ever seen this place!” I said sitting myself down on a dining room chair in exhaustion. Brendon sat down on top of me.

“Now you just need to come over to my house and help me.”

“Sure thing Bren,” I said shoving him off my lap and onto the floor.

“Ow,” he whined, giving me the puppy dog eyes.

“Don’t even give me that!” I laughed but he continued to do it, “Fine, I’m sorry.”

“Kiss it.”

“Hell no! I’m not kissing your ass.”

“God Emily, you’re so dirty! I was talking about my finger!” he threw his head back and laughed his signature laugh.

“Oh whatever, you made me think you mean different, meanie butt!” Brendon held up his index finger, insisting from on the floor. “Fine,” I said giving in and kissing his finger, just like a mom would kiss her child’s boo-boo. “But seriously, Brendon, I need to fill out this application stuff so I can start this job as soon as possible.”

“Yeah, yeah, yeah, okay I’m leaving,” he stood up off the floor and I followed him to the door and watched him slip on his converse. “Bye Emmy,” he turned and hugged me.

I mumbled into his shirt, “Bye Bren.”

“I’ll see you tomorrow probs,”

“Okay!” I said as I turned to go finish the paperwork waiting for me.

“Oh, and Em?” Brendon spun around, remembering to tell me something. “Um,” he kicked at the ground nervously, “Weeelll, I was wondering, if tomorrow… you, uh, wanna go get a bite to eat or something.”

I smiled at him, he got so nervous around me sometimes, and it was cute. “As in…?”

Brendon looked up from his shoes at me and smiled sheepishly, “You know…”

“…A date?”

“Yeah.”

“Sure,” I smiled and laughed in my head about how adorable he was being right now.

“Okay!” he got all giddy and was back to his normal self again, “I’ll pick you up at six then.”

“Sounds great, bye Brenny.” He pecked me on my forehead and bounded out the door with delight.

“See you then! Bye! Oh, hey Hayls!” his voice faded away as he headed out.

“Bye?” Hayley asked more than said, with confusion. “Why was he so happy?”

“He’s Brendon, why wouldn’t he be happy?” I turned away towards the table before she could see me blush.

“Oh my God, he asked you out didn’t he?!” I had no idea how she knew these things, Hayley could always do three things; make me laugh, figure out what’s bothering me and know what is up between a guy and I.

“Yep,” I smiled as I sat down and she came and took a seat next to me.

“How cute! Oh my gee, you will never guess what happened to me today!”

“You’ll never believe what happened to me today!”

“Okay, you first.”

“No, you.” Then we both smiled, we knew what would come next. “Okay, one…two…three!”

“I got a job!!!” We both said in unison. “NO WAY!” we both said again. I jumped up and we squealed and we hugged each other.

“So where did you get one?” I asked while I put ice into my glass of water that I had just gotten.

“Well you know that store we went to after we went to lunch at that cute crappy café?” she said joining me in the kitchen.

“Awe, that’s such a cute place!”

“Yeah, and I get super good discounts there now!” we both laughed, “How about you, Em?

“It’s down by The Strip, it’s this cute bar called Gilly’s Saloon, and it’s soo darling”

“Awesome!”

“Yeah, but now I have fill all this paperwork,” I said, holding up the papers. It was totally worth it though, because after I was accepted at this job I felt that I was actually making it for myself here. I felt so accomplished and put together, I finally felt like an adult. I got my own place to live, I was buying my own things and I got my first job while living on my own.

---

The next day I woke up and went for a run then headed straight for Gilly’s Saloon. Kyle was working there again and we talked for a bit while I waited for the owner of the place to stop by so I could give him my papers and start work.

After I got all the applications straightened out, Kyle showed me around the place. I was told I would be a waitress, but most of the time I would be working behind the bar. I got my hours and found I would work mostly nights, except for Saturday, when I would waitress during the afternoon. The only day I would have off would be Sunday and every so often I would get a Tuesday night off for some reason that was too complicated for me to understand. I didn’t mind all the hours both because I really needed the money, and the bar really needed the help.

“Thanks for the training Kyle, I really appreciate it.”

“Oh no problem Emily, just doing me job. Seriously.” He laughed at his own joke. Kyle was a really nice guy, he was super laid back and had a weird sense of humor, but it was funny so I was looking forward to working with him.

“Well I better be off, I’ll see you tomorrow though!”

“Got a hot date tonight or something?” he asked wiggling his eyebrows.

I laughed, “Yes actually.” He laughed too and we waved goodbye.

“Don’t forget! Five-oh-oh sharp,” he yelled as I walked out the door. I gave him a peace out and wink and got a cab so I could go home and get ready for my ‘hot date’ tonight.

Even though I had spent most of my days here in Vegas with Brendon, I still was a little nervous. We both knew our feeling for each other, and it was obvious to us and everyone else. We were definitely more than friends, but not dating or anything, I guess you could call it innocent flirting? Well maybe not innocent, but still, we never called it a ‘relationship’ before.

I wasn’t sure where we would be going, knowing Brendon, somewhere crazy. The whole way home I thought about what to wear, when I got home I went to my room to see what I could find and I spotted a box sitting on my bed. I went to open it and pulled out a pair of dark tight skinny jeans, Grey glistening heels, and a fancy pistachio colored top.

I smiled so big I thought my cheeks might fall off, “I love you Hayley Rae!”

“What? I have no idea what you are talking about!” she yelled from the kitchen. I rolled my eyes, she was the best friend in the entire world.

An hour later I was ready and I wandered out to find Hayley. She was in the kitchen standing at the stove and Ryan was standing behind her with his arms around her waist and his chin resting on her shoulder while she stirred whatever was cooking in the pot.

“PDA,” I joked as I walked in.

“Wow Ems!” Ryan said, “You look good! I like your hair.” I absentmindedly reached my hands up to touch it, I had curled my hair which is something I only did once since I moved to Vegas, because usually I straighten it or left it with loose waves in it.

“Thanks Ry, what are you guys making?”

“I’m making, he’s watching,” she said, pointing her thumb back at Ryan. He shrugged his shoulders and kissed her on the top of her head. They were very cute together and they fit together perfectly too.

They both balanced the other out; Hayley was loud, outspoken and bold. Ryan on the other hand was shy towards new people, cautious and practical. Even though they were different they had a bunch of similarities; they were both loving people. Not just towards each other, but towards their friends also. They also both laughed at the stupidest things and had an inside joke for everything.

“Wow Em, you do look good! I haven’t seen you dressed up in a while,” she winked and walked into her room and came back out with a necklace and put it on me.

“Hayley,” I stared contradictingly, “How much was this? This is incredible!”

“Hey! I told you I get good discounts, and besides, there was a huge sale today, so before we opened I explored the shelves,” she went back to the stove.

“Yes, but--”

“No buts! Besides, you deserve this, Emily! You’ve been working hard around the house and I haven’t. So far you’ve paid the majority of the bills and I just wanted to give you a little something because of it.”

I gave her a hug, “Thanks Hayls.”

“Oh! And since Brendon is a little shorty, if you don’t want to wear the heels, I got you these!” she held up another pair of shoes. They were flat sandals that had a complicated design on them with rhinestones going down the middle

“Hayley!”

“What?” she smiled at me innocently.

“No! Besides, the man doesn’t always have to be the taller one!”

“Girl domination.” We knocked fist.

“Wow,” Ryan commented dryly, “didn’t know girls actually did that.”

Hayley ignored his comment, “Anyways, you’re keeping them.” My protest was interrupted with a knock on the door.

“I GOT IT!” Ryan sprinted to the door, I was still recovering the scare Ryan gave me with his huge outburst. Hayley just laughed.

“EMILY! Brendon is here!” he shouted like I was two blocks down.

“Wow, really? Thanks Ry!” I said sarcastically as I put on my new heels. “See you guys. Behave!” I pointed at them suspiciously.

“Yeah, yeah, yeah, take your own advice.” I laughed and rolled my eyes as I went out to meet Brendon by the door.

“Hey,” I started.

“Hey-- Wow! You look gorgeous, I feel dressed down.” He pouted as he looked down at his red button up shirt, black jeans and black boots. He looked fine and actually bright red was very stunning on him.

I laughed, “You look handsome, now let’s go.” He held the door open for me and we walked out to his car.

I was surprised when we arrived at our first destination. We were at a nice looking restaurant, nothing crazy that I would regret wearing heels for. We ordered dinner and talked until the bill came. After Brendon paid, he took my hand in his and led me out of the restaurant to the car

It was different having skin contact with Brendon when I was on a date with him, rather than hanging out. It felt like he meant so much more by it.

We pulled into the parking lot of a mini golf course, how cliché. I’m not saying that I wasn’t having fun, but I was expecting that Brendon would have had a secret exciting thing for us do. I guess this date didn’t mean as much to him as it did to me? When I thought this, I felt really stupid because I had been looking forward to this since the moment he asked me. But then I thought of his face and actions last night when he asked me to go on the date with him. He looks so nervous and jittery, and Brendon didn’t usually get like that unless he was really excited or really nervous. Either way would be good, right?

As Brendon got out of the car and quickly rushed to my side to open the door before I could, I decided not to worry if he was as in to me as I was into him and just have fun.

“Now, I know what you’re thinking,” he started, “how cliché right?” I blushed, I should have known would Brendon have something up his sleeve. “Well, I wouldn’t bring you to mini golf unless I had a really good idea. I remembered that you hated mini golf because--”

“You remembered?” I felt my heart just gush a little.

“Yeah,” I couldn’t believe it! That was one of the things I told him when we were in his hotel room after dinner with his parents, the first week I had met him. Right then and there I declared he was the most remarkable boy I had ever met. “So! This is what we are going to do…”

I was still laughing as Brendon and I drove away from the golf course, we had gotten kicked out of course, but it was still amusing. We bought our golf clubs and got colored golf balls, but we didn’t actually play. We would set up our ball on the tee and then hit it crazy or let go of the club in mid swing so it got in the way of others playing.

The best one was when we were sitting on the bench, watching others pass from hole seven to hole eight, a couple walked by. The couple was disgusting, the girl was probably my age or a couple years older and she was a complete slut. The boy she was with couldn’t keep his hand off of her and Brendon and I both agreed that we were completely disgusted by them. I mean, it was a family golf course, let’s keep it at least PG.

So as they walked by, I stuck out my golf club very cunningly and the girl tripped over it. Immediately I did a fake gasp, ‘Oh my God! Are you okay?! I’m so sorry!’ The whole time Brendon was trying to hold in his laugh. Like anyone else, she thought I was being sincere and answered, ‘Oh it’s fine, don’t worry about it.’ She gave me a smile but I persisted and got up off the bench to help her up because her jerk boyfriend didn’t. But as I helped her up, I ‘tripped’ on my golf club that was laying next her and instead of helping her to her feet, I pushed her into the little pond next to us.

That she could not tolerate, she freaked out. ‘You bitch!’ I tried to suppress my giggles ‘I am sooo sorry!’ I said, but that didn’t cut it, she got the manager and he kicked us out. Of course she exaggerated the situation, but Brendon and I didn’t care. We ran out of the place laughing our heads off leaving the slut and the make-up running down her face behind.

Now we were pulling into the park. “I can’t believe you did that! I would have never guessed you would do that kind of thing!”

“You obviously have a lot to learn then, Mr. Urie.”

“I guess so,” he said as he climbed out of his car and opened the trunk. He helped me out of the car the last three times, but this time he didn’t, so I got out of the car to see what he was doing.

I rounded the back corner and saw Brendon tangled up in a kite string. The site brought tears to my eyes. I was so flattered, “Brendon Boyd Urie, you are the most incredible man ever!” I ran over to him and kissed him full on the lips, as I did, he dropped what he was doing so he could saver the moment.

“What was that for?” he asked as we parted, I still had butterflies bouncing around in my stomach but I laughed and leaned down to pick up the kite and help him untangle himself from it.

“You remembered.” I said quietly and sweetly.

“Of course I remembered Emmy, how could I forget someone like you?” If my heart wasn’t already in mush, it was now.