Time Passes. Snow Falls. I Miss You.

Five

“So, I was thinking.” Kate started as Delany got in her car for school.

“Great,” Delany mumbled.

“I know you hate this, and you’ve told me countless times, but! We are going to make you a ‘to do’ list.”

“No.”

“Yes! I don’t drive you home, so I can’t remind you, so! Look!” She held up a green notepad, shaped in the shape of a melon and said “Honey Do” at the top and fancy writing. Delany gave it one look.

“No.”

“Dee--”

“Don’t ‘Dee’ me! You know how a feel about this!”

“Del, just hear me out.”

“No.”

“You can’t ignore your problem, so you have to problem solve and fix it. You want your parent’s trust back right? Well this is how to do it!”

“No.”

“Whatever, just keep it. You’re going to use it.” Kate shoved it in Delany’s face, still keeping her eyes on the road.

“No.”

Kate smiled and ignored her protests and threw the paper at her. She knew Delany would look at it, even through all her complaining, she appreciated it. If Kate knew Delany, which she did, Delany was just waiting for this.

On the other hand, Delany was peeved. She thought people were babying her, even though that wasn’t their intension. She didn’t know that, so she hated their gestures. She wouldn’t ever tell that deep, deep, deep down, she appreciated it. Just like she did with Charlie.

Delany parted with Kate and went to her locker. She opened it and hung the list up and looked it over.

Honey Do

- Pick up Alex 3:00
- Work 3:15 - 8:15
- Math Sections 8.5 and 8.6
- Write English Paper
- Study for Science Lab

* Don’t forget to call Charlie about this weekend!
* I love you!

Cap. Kate.


Delany’s locker slammed shut, missing her head by a mere two centimeters. “Holy shit!” She turned to the right, to see the culprit. “Holy fu--” she was quieted by a hand over her mouth.

“Shh! Don’t yell.”

“Brendon?! What the hell are you doing here?!” she demanded in a loud whisper.

“I wanted to come and surprise you!” he bounced.

A brown head popped up from the lockers across from Delany and Brendon, “Hi there!”

“Ryan? What the, how did you guys get here?”

“Don’t tell Jon, but we stole his car.” She made an ‘o’ with her mouth.

“Soo…” Ryan put his boney arm around Delany’s shoulders, having a hard time because she was so short. Brendon took the easier way and just used her head as an arm rest. They walked through the halls before the school day started, and Delany was all smiles.

“Where’s Spence?” Delany asked, her bright blue eyes gleaming up at four brown ones.

“Good question. He was with us…”

“Speak of the devil!” Ryan said, pointing over to the other side of the hallway where Spencer was getting yelled at by a teacher.

“…And this is high school Mr. Smith! High school students do not, I repeat, do not run around the hallways like maniacs! I do not put up with that behavior,” a tall, lanky, wrinkly teacher was yelling at Spencer.

“I just had to--”

“I don’t care what you were doing. And do not interrupt me.”

“Oh jeez,” Brendon said as they moved closer to the commotion.

“Yeah,” said Delany, “That’s Mr. Ruckner. He’s a bitch.”

“Looks like it,” Ryan said, giving Mr. Ruckner bunny ears as they walked by. That caused Spencer to crack a smile.

“Office! Now!”

&&&&&&&
&&&&&&&

“Where the hell are you?”

“Uh, at Hardees?”

“Uh, where’s my car?” Jon asked annoyed.

Ryan blushed into the receiver, “Uh, I don’t know…” He flicked his straw wrapper across the table.

“Well come pick me up!”

“Jeez, fine, fine. Be there in ten.” Ryan flipped his phone closed. “Well, Jon woke up.”

Brendon pulled the keys out of his pocket and waved them in the air, “To Sir Walker’s!” Spencer, Brendon, Delany and Ryan marched out of Hardees and piled into Jon’s car and drove off.

“Dee? What are you doing up there?” Jon asked as he got in the back seat.

“Well, even though Spencer called shot gun, I gave Bren gummy worms and plus, he likes me better, and then--”

“No, I don’t care about how you got there. But how did you get here? You’re supposed to be in school!” Delany rolled her eyes and started picking at her jeans. “You guys can’t let her skip school!” Jon smacked the back of Spencer and Ryan’s head. The only reason he didn’t smack Brendon’s was because he was driving, and Jon knew better than to distract Brendon, especially when driving.

“Well she was in school!” Ryan defended them, “But then Spencer got us in trouble!”

“Hey! That’s so not true!”

Everyone turned to look at Spencer incredulously. “Pfft! Yeah right!” Brendon burst out. “You’re the one that got us sent to the principal’s office!”

“You got sent to the office?!” Jon stared down Delany. But Delany didn’t turn around to look back.

“Well not technically,” Brendon continued to babble, “Spencer tattled on us, so Mr. Fuckner sent us all to the office, but since we don’t go to the school, we just ran out the door and since that old guy isn’t fast enough, he didn’t catch us!” Brendon beamed into the rear view mirror. “I guess we kinda forgot that little Carrot Head here was with us…”

He patted her head, “Hey! Cut that out, Veggie Boy!”

Brendon took in a large gasp, “That hurt.”

“No, this hurts,” she said as she slapped his right cheek.

“Ow!” He reached over and poked her side, causing her to jump all over her seat.

“Brendon! Pay attention!” Spencer chided as the car swerved.

“Yeah, yeah, yeah.”

“Okay, so I’ll pick you up at three.” Jon said as Brendon pulled up to the front of the school.

“You mean ‘we’!” Ryan yelled from the back. Jon flicked his head. “Ow!”

Delany exhaled loudly. She didn’t want to go to school. “Kay. I’ll see you later, JonJon.”

“Hey! What about us?” Spencer whined.

“Oh, right. Sorry. Bye, Vagina Cleaners.” Delany walked the stairs to the school and looked back at the boys. They all waved ferociously. She blew them a kiss and Brendon practically leapt over the middle consult to reach out the passenger side window and catch the kiss.

“How mature,” Ryan said as he climbed out of the back and into the front. But as soon as he said that, he regretted it. Brendon then took his clenched hand that held the kiss and shoved it down his pants and then released it.

“Sick dude.”

“Dude, why do you care so much about Delany. She--” Spencer was cut off by Brendon

“He’s in looovee!”

“Seriously Brendon, I’m going to smash your butthole in if you don’t shut up.” Brendon shut up. “If only you knew Dee, you would understand.”

“Weeelll, we don’t. So explain.” Ryan said, turning around in his seat.

“Well, I don’t know dude, she. We grew up together and we are like, best friends, and I guess I feel kind of protective of her. She’s like my little sister.” The boys all nodded, keeping it serious. It was one of the most serious discussions they’d had, that hadn’t been about music, for a long time.

&&&&&&&
&&&&&&&

School ended. Finally. Delany let her attitude get the better of her today. Again.

“Hey, Jono!”

“Hey, Dee Dee. Where to?”

“Oh shit! Be right back!” Delany sprinted to her locker and ripped down her list and ran back out to Jon’s car. “Do you think we could go pick up Al, then drop me off at work?” She batted her eyelashes amusingly.

Jon raised his eyebrow at her, no only because she was on top of things, but because she had a list. “A list? Huh.”

“Just drive.” She said, pinching his nose. Even though it was a tight time frame, they made it. When Delany walked Alex in the door, her father was speechless. He jaw dropped along with the pen he was using. And he was completely dumbfounded and at a loss of words when Delany actually smiled at him and waved goodbye.

She even made it to work on time. “Thanks for the ride, Jon,” she said, smiling up at him. He smiled back, forgetting how much he missed her bright periwinkle eyes and her little button nose. He knew the faint freckles on her nose like an astronomer knows the stars.

“Anytime, Dee.” She gave him a kiss on the cheek and left.

She walked into Starbucks, “What’s crackalackin, bitches!” The workers smiled hello at her, like always.

And like always, Charlie appeared out of the shadows. “Don’t swear,” He said as he slouched by in his oh so familiar, colorless voice.