Time Passes. Snow Falls. I Miss You.

Eight

“Good morning and welcome to Starbucks. I’m Raykaykay, what can I get for you?” Delany tapped her fingers on the counter as she waited for the person to order. She hated working the drive through window because she bored herself to death.

“Okay, I have two medium Gingerbread Lattes. Is that it? Then it will be $8.68 at the next window. Thank you.” She made a point to be extra cheery and please the costumers, but she was having a hard time keeping her genuine smile on her face.

“Salutations and welcome to Starbucks. I’m Sasha, what can serve you?” she asked trying to suppress her giggles after she used her fake lisp. She smiled even more when the total came to $7.76.

“Delany!” Josh scolded, “Stop messing around and get serious.” The red head rolled her eyes and continued her game of using weird accents to accompany her “unique” names to greet everyone.

“Hey Del, Charlie told me to take over,” Kate said, walking over to drive-thru window. Delany was having too much fun at amusing herself to drop her current accent she was using on a costumer.

“Fine.” She dropped her shoulders and handed the headset off to Kate and wandered over the front counter. She smiled when she saw a costumer come in, wanting to order something. She tied back her hair and got ready to apply her Australian brogue to the conversation.

&&&&&&&
&&&&&&&

“Hey Dee-Dee” Jon greeted softly as he walked into Starbucks.

“Hey.”

Jon cringed at her response. There was no flair in her acknowledgment, just a cold, icy tone. Delany was a vivacious person, but when she got mad, she got mad. Jon knew she would get over it though. They always did. They fought all the time back when they were little, even worse than a brother and sister bickers, but they always pulled through with more love than anything.

“Need any help?”

“Not really.”

A silence lingered in the air.

“Oh come on, Delany, stop being unreasonable.” He folded his arms across his chest with irritation.

You think I need to be practical? Have you looked at your reflection lately?”

“What’s that supposed to mean.” Delany only rolled her eyes and went back to restocking and counting cups. The one thing Jon couldn’t tolerate was Delany’s short answers, or no answer, when she got irritated.

“Hey Jon,” Kate greeted with a smile. Jon could only reply back with a distracted head nod in acknowledgment while he starred down Delany. Kate looked back and forth between Jon and Delany, feeling like she was interrupting something by the ice stares and think tension lingering in the air, so she went to distract herself with something.

“Well whatever,” he said turning around, after a minute of him starring at Delany, but she succeeding in not looking up from her work. “Talk to me when you are actually yourself.” He gave a pissed off wave and was out of the old store.

&&&&&&&
&&&&&&&

“You know, curiosity killed the cat,” Ryan warned Brendon as he sat on the edge of the couch. Brendon was over by the window with a pair of binoculars, trying to focus the lens on the mailbox across the street, where Brendon discovered that at 2:00 in the afternoon, a hot girl fetches her mail in just her underwear everyday.

“Yeah, yeah, yeah,” Brendon brushed off another one Ryan’s ridiculous proverbs. Brendon looked at the wall clock as it chimed with two dongs. “But…” Brendon searched the driveway, focusing the binoculars frantically. “…Satisfaction… brought back. Booyah! Cha-ching, cha-ching!” Brendon moved his head closer to the window so he could stare at the girl in her underwear and skimpy tank top.

“What the hell, man.” Jon asked when he walked through the front door.

“Don’t worry about it.”

“O.K.” Jon sat down next to Ryan and let out a huge sigh of exhaustion.

“Wow Jon. Are you O.K.? Is something wrong?” Ryan asked sarcastically after Jon’s dramatic moan of attention.

“You would think she would be cold…” Brendon thought out loud from his corner by the window.

“Hush up, Ryan.” Jon scowled at Ryan and flipped on the TV.

“Dude! You have hot neighbors!” Brendon burst out.

“Now what.” Ryan asked, annoyed with Brendon after his hour of people watching from Jon’s living room window.

“Well first there was the college girl, then that single mom and now there is this red head walking up your driveway, Jon. She’s so hot. How did you leave this place?!” Brendon joked, but his laughter was stopped short from dodging an empty bowl of popcorn being thrown at his head.

A few moments later, Ryan and Brendon heard voices the entry way. Brendon had an endless smile plastered to his face after hearing Delany’s voice again.

“Deeee!” Brendon yelled as he joined Jon and Delany at the door. “I missed you!” Brendon didn’t realize the awkward tension and the strained facial expressions on both of their faces, but Delany was excited to see Brendon’s face.

“Bren?!” She ran and gave him a hug. “What the hell are you doing back here?!”

“I just couldn’t resist staying away from your face for more than two days!”

Brendon set the fragile girl down and then noticed Jon’s face; about to punch Brendon so he wouldn’t walk again.

“Uh. I’m hungry. I’ll go get food.”

“Yeah…I’ll come with,” Ryan agreed and filed out after Brendon.

“So.”

“So.” Delany mimicked back.

“Can you tell me what I did wrong?”

“It’s what you didn’t do, Jon,” Delany replied coldly, her previous excitement was nowhere to be found.

“Well then tell me that! I don’t know. Help me out here, Dee.”

“You’re so frustrating! You know that?! You’re always thinking of yourself!” She stomped her foot and was about to turn around for the door but Jon stopped her.

“What do you mean?”

“Even right now! “Tell me what to do, Dee” “I want to know, Dee” “Help me out here, Dee,” she said, making fun of Jon’s voice. “It’s repulsive.”

“Well… what am I supposed to say then,” he asked, getting frustrated again.

“Rephrase that question for starters.”

Jon thought about what he had said for a moment. “O.K. What do you want to hear?”

“Thank you. I’d like to hear you apologize for once in your life, Jon. I really don’t think you realize anything you’ve done.”

“Like what?” He held a disgusted grimace on his face and tried to think back to previous text message conversations. “How can you be mad at me for leaving Chicago again, Delany?! It’s my job, that’s what I do!”

Delany felt the tears brim her eyes. “I know that’s your stupid, fucking job, Jon. But did you ever think about the first time you left?!”

Jon paused and thought back. All he remembered the excitement of acceptance.

“I’m sure you don’t. Because you were so wrapped up in yourself; being too conceded to even bother to tell your best friend that were never coming back home!” Jon felt the guilt start to sink in for the firist time. “Oh never mind the short bass tech tour. No. ‘Oh I’m Jon, I’m going to ditch my friends and family and go rogue.’ Without EVER saying goodbye!!!” Delany felt a tear stream down her face and she took it as her cue to leave.

She walked out the front door, slamming the glass-screen door shut in the process of running back to her house, tears silently falling down her cheeks.