‹ Prequel: Over the Rainbow
Status: Teaser

A Fish Tale

Chapter Two

“What is that?” Jimmy asked looking over Lynn’s shoulder at the odd object in her hand.

“I have no idea,” she responded distractedly, flipping the rusty triangular piece in her hands. She accidently pricked her finger on one of the ends, “Ow!”

“Let me see,” one of Jimmy’s tentacles wrapped around Lynn’s wrist as he got a closer inspection. “Somehow, I think you’ll survive.”

“I don’t know, it looks pretty deep,” she said in mock seriousness, “I think this may be fatal.”

“Well, if that’s the case then I’ll be sure to keep that Calyptan dagger Matt got you last time he came home from battle,” Lynn lightly smacked Jimmy’s tentacle causing him to pout dramatically.

“You guppy,” Lynn rolled her eyes before going deeper into the ship; Jimmy followed close behind. “Hey…”

Lynn picked up a shiny box, using her fingers to dust away the dirt that had gathered. She turned it around in her hands, investigating all sides of the small square object until her fingers ran over a raised area sticking out further than any of the box’s detailing. She looked closely and pressed down softly until a click was heard and the lid popped open.

“Wow,” Lynn said in wonder as she and Jimmy looked at the box’s contents with wide eyes. “It’s… beautiful.”

On the inside, a human man and woman were dancing to a soft, muffled melody. It brought a smile to her lips. Both Jimmy and Lynn were too enamored with the human music box to notice that they weren’t alone anymore, at least until they saw the reflection of two big, yellow eyes in the mirror on the inside of the cover. Lynn and Jimmy could literally feel the danger when they met the glare of the thing behind them.

They both screamed as they moved suddenly, causing the giant sea serpent to hiss menacingly. Lynn swam as quickly as she could while trying to put the music box in her knapsack, dodging the onslaught of razor-sharp teeth chasing after her and Jimmy. They raced through the ship, trying to lose the massive sea snake while finding an escape.

“Just keep swimming! Just keep swimming! Just keep- dead end!” Jimmy exclaimed, a few of his appendages covering his head in defeat.

“Jimmy!” Lyn scolded his uselessness. She quickly looked at ever corner, when she noticed a sudden shift in water current. “There!”

She darted towards a hole in the lower corner of the room and looked through it, seeing freedom just on the other side. She used all her might to break off the edges, making the hole big enough for her to fit through. She motioned towards Jimmy, who saw what she had done, before squirming out of the whole, Jimmy following shortly after.

“That was close.”

“Too close,” Lynn laughed, her escort giving a dry laugh and agreeing. “Now- ”

A loud noise cut off the princess’s sentence, followed by a menacing roar. The two adventures looked behind them to see the sea serpent erupt for the same part of the boat they had escaped from, a dangerous glare on its face.

“Time to go,” Jimmy said, grabbing Lynn’s wrist and tugging her behind him as they swam from the monster.

“Jimmy,” Lynn called, looking behind her, “It’s gaining on us!”

Jimmy used his momentum to throw his charge into a field of seaweed before jetting out a giant blast of black ink. The serpent shot through, not being able to avoid it, and paused, thrashing its head violently. Jimmy got the monster’s attention and led it to a near by ship, darting this way and that to avoid razor sharp teeth.

He darted around the mast, spiraled around one of its protrusions before actually messing around near the tail end of the snake. It wasn’t until the sea serpent roared in pain and frustration that Lynn realized what Jimmy was doing, or as the fact was, had done.

“Well done!” Lynn clapped, then adjusted her bag over her shoulder.

“I’m not in the military for nothing,” Jimmy smiled before eyeing the snake that was currently trying to un-knot itself.

“Really?” Lynn said, swimming backwards, a playful glint in her eye, “I was under the impression that the only reason you were on the guard was because Matt didn’t know what to do with you. He knew you would have to work for the palace in order to live there.”

“You little urchin!”

Lynn squealed before darting off, swimming as fast as she had when the sea serpent was on their tail. Jimmy was at the same pace, yelling curses at his charge. They raced all the way back to the city, but then noticed how completely barren it was.

“Where is everybody?” Lynn asked as soon as Jimmy had caught up. Then they heard the horns, announcing the king’s arrival. “Oh my starfish!”

“Go hide the fun,” Jimmy nudges Lynn in the direction of the castle, “I’ll stall!”

She did as directed, hiding from the few guards ordered to keep post and guard the city. She darted up to her room, opened her closet, threw the bag to the back before grabbing her own sash, a symbol of status, and darting to her vanity to find appropriate jewelry. She ended up grabbing her pearl brooch and tiara.

She quickly shot out her window and swan towards the back end of the arena (the traditional place for the city to greet the king on his return) and placed the tiara on her head, the sash around her shoulder and the brooch to hold it in place. She stopped and ran her fingers through her hair to comb it out slightly, before stealthily going through the curtains and joining her sister in law as looked at the parade.

“Took you long enough,” Laney said out of the corner of her mouth; no one noticed the exchange.

“Hey, I got here before he did,” Lynn smiled and waved at the kingdom, “in my book, that is not late.”

“You are so lucky that Matt is still seeing the people,” Laney waved at some children down a ways, who in return squealed and waved back. “What would you do if you didn’t have a sister-in-law who didn’t like you?”

“I-“

“The King!” Horns played again as the king came into view. It wouldn’t matter what Lynn said now, it would fall on deaf ears.

She smiled a real smile as she saw her brother come into view, looking tired but not unhappy. He greeted some of the people on his way to the where the royal family waited for him.

When he was not far away, Lynn rushed from her spot and into his open arms. He spun her around and they laughed as they hugged.

“How I’ve missed you,” Matt said as he held his baby sister at arms length. “I expect you’ve behaved well during my absence?”

“But of course brother dearest,” Lynn said in an obviously false innocence.

“I’m sure,” Matt rolled his eyes and smiled with his arm around her shoulder. He guided her to his destination, a calm but smiling queen waiting at the top of the riser.

Lynn removed herself out of her brother’s hold when they were at the top. Matt took his wife in his arms and held her close. Lynn could tell that at that moment in time they were by themselves, even though they were among thousands of cheering people.

“I have missed you husband,” Laney said with a mock serious look on her face.

“I’ve missed you as well wife,” they gave each other a smile before Matt let go and turned to his people.

“It has been many moons since I saw my kingdom last,” Matt paused as the people cheered; “but I return, with my army and news of victory!” The crowed was louder than before; he waited until they quieted down, “War is never a happy time, but we celebrate a victory and those who have sacrificed themselves for their family and friends.” At this the crowed was silent, and soldiers carrying casket after casket entered the stadium. “We have suffered great losses, none more than the families of our fallen brethren, but they did not fall in vain! We will not forget those who have forfeited their lives to the Southern Nations, and they can rest in peace, knowing that they served their family, friends, and kingdom well!”

The people gave a roar of approval at King Matthew’s speech, Laney put her hand on her husband’s shoulder and spoke, “We celebrate tonight, in victory and in remembrance of those who died to keep us safe.”

The people began to exit out the stadium doors; the royal family and close friends would be the last to leave. There would be a feast held in the palace gardens, and the whole town would go, those who were unable to attend would be brought sustenance from the gathering. There would be drinking, games, dancing, and good times had by all.

“So,” Matt said, waving at onlookers as they exited, “Late again.”

“How do you always know?” Lynn said irritated.

“Because I’ve always known you,” He smiled, flicking Lynn’s nose. He wrapped an arm around his wife as the last of the people finished exiting. The guards escorted the royal family out of the stadium through the back and to the royal palace. “We’ll see you soon.”

Lynn nodded to her brother as they parted ways and headed to their own rooms. There would be a feast, but not for a couple hours. There was such a large gap so that the king could rest and relax. Lynn shuddered at the thought; she didn’t want to think about what relaxing would imply for her brother and his wife.

“There you are!” Johnny threw his claws up in the air, “What took you so long?”

“I left the same time Matt did,” Lynn said flatly. Johnny huffed and scuttled over to the vanity, a scroll in his hand.

“What were you thinking when you did your hair?” Danni asked as Johnny neared her, Lynn sat at her vanity.

“Oh you know…” Lynn trailed off.

Danni and Johnny went to work on her, meaning Danni began to fuss with Lynn’s hair while Johnny went over protocol for tonight’s event. Enter before the king and queen, wait until the king says to be seated, chew with your mouth closed, sit up straight, only speak when spoken to. Johnny knew Lynn wouldn’t do any of the following; he just recited them because it made him feel useful.

“Alright, alright,” Lynn sighed, “Same old, same old. Can we go now?”

“You’re escort isn’t here,” Johnny said making both Danni and Lynn roll their eyes.

“Lies,” Jimmy said entering the room, “I am so here.”

Johnny sighed, “When are you going to take a real escort? There are plenty of eligible young men in the kingdom…”

“I’ll get a real escort when you get a real life,” was Lynn’s snarky reply; Danni laughed while Johnny scowled. Taking Jimmy’s extended tentacle, Lynn went down to enjoy the feast in the gardens… or at least mingle until the food came out.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey look! A totally surprise and unwarranted update! Just kidding, its totally justified =]

anyway, i finally updated something. maybe i'm getting my spark back?

...maybe.