Status: Complete. Sequel is up and is also complete.

Days of the Old

Chapter Seven

Matt

“I think you’re gonna like your room,” I said, a smile playing on my lips as my hand lingered above her doorknob. “Val decorated it for you.”

I tried my best to keep the smile on my face, not wanting Payton to know how hurt I was when she barely acknowledged my presence, her eyes flicking anxiously from me to her door.

What could I expect, though? I can’t say I wouldn’t act the same way if I were in her position.

Twisting the knob, I opened the door and gestured for her to go first. Once she was in, her eyes widened for a moment before she broke out into a tiny smile. It was better than nothing, I thought miserably. However, once she saw me still standing there, she quickly dropped her smile and turned back to looking around her room.

Again, my heart sank for the umpteenth time that day. “Bathroom’s through there,” I pointed to the other side of her room, “And your closet’s through the other.”

When I didn’t get a reply, I continued. “Alright, well, I’ll leave you to get settled then. You can unpack if you’d like.” I’d already brought up her duffel bags while Val was showing her around the house, I wouldn’t let her strain herself like that again. She was the tiniest fourteen year old I had ever seen, and I knew she took after her mother for that.

Finally she turned around, meeting my eyes for the briefest of seconds as she nodded. “I’ll come up and get you when the guys get here, okay? They live really close, so it won’t be too long.”

She nodded again as she sat on her bed, looking at me expectantly. I took it as my cue to leave, shutting her door dejectedly as I left and made my way down to the kitchen where Val was.

All she had to do was take one look at me, and I wrapped my arms around her waist as she brought me into her embrace. “How ya’ feeling, baby?” Val asked, squeezing me tighter as I nuzzled my face into her hair.

I felt horrible, to say the least. I don’t know what I would do if I lost my mother now, let alone at such a tender age as Payton’s. All I wished for was to hug her close and tell her that everything would be okay, but I knew that wasn’t going to happen any time soon.

“She barely said two words to me, Val.” I stated, finally letting my voice reflect how much pain I was feeling.

“Awe, Matt,” She sighed and pulled back so she could meet my eyes. “You just gotta give her time, baby. You know how hard it is for her.”

“I know, I know,” I let out a deep sigh and lovingly pecked her lips. “I just... I just wish I could fix everything.”

“She’ll come around eventually, babe, I promise--” Val was cut off by the front door slamming open, we both groaned.

Fast, heavy footsteps came from the living room, and eventually, once he figured out we weren’t there, Jimmy popped up from behind the corner. “Where is she?!” He asked as soon as he saw us, looking completely out of his mind with excitement. Val and I pulled away from each other and stared blankly at him. “I bet she looks just like you! Oh, shit! I am so gonna give her an awesome nickname!”

The rest of Avenged and their wives/girlfriends showed up behind him, everyone showing some form of excitement on their faces. “She’s upstairs, Jim. I’ll go get--”

“No! You stay there, I’ll go get her!” Before anyone could stop him, he took off back around the corner, heading for the stairs.

I groaned, but couldn’t keep the smile off my face as everyone laughed. “Don’t scare her!” I managed to call, praying he heard me.

Heaving a sigh, I began to make my way toward the living room. “Try not to crowd her, guys. She seems really shy.”

Everyone was excited to have Payton here for different reasons. The girls were ecstatic to have another girl around, especially a teenager. I shuddered at the thought of what they would try to dress her up in. The guys, however, I knew they wanted to spoil her senseless. They already saw her as a daughter or a sister and they hadn’t even met her.

Once everyone was settled in various seats around the living area, I looked around at everyone, making sure to meet their gaze for a moment so they knew I was serious. “She’s going through a hard time, just remember that okay?” I kept my voice low, not wanting Payton to hear.

Everyone calmed down considerably, or at least tried to. They only meant the best though, I knew that. They’d been dying to meet her.

Payton

My room was amazing. In fact, I had to stop myself from thanking and hugging Matt. The walls were painted the same color as my old room, black and red, and I was grateful for the small sense of familiarity it gave. A huge, black four poster bed sat in the in the upper center of the room, with red drapes cascading down around it and it gave the room a cosy feel.

An LCD TV was mounted on the wall in front of it, and below it sat a cabinet complete with a Blu-ray player and an Xbox 360. In between the two doors leading to the bathroom and closet, a desk sat, a Jack Skellington lamp illuminating the sleek black laptop that was placed on the desk.

Now that I looked around the room a little more, I realized that was the general theme. Nightmare before Christmas memorabilia was scattered throughout it. Everything from the alarm clock to the framed pictures on the walls had Jack, Sally, or another character from the movie in it.

The bathroom was reasonably normal with the usual stuff in it; a shower, sink, toilet, mirror. The walk in closet was fairly normal, too. It was easily three, maybe even four times the size of my old one, though. Shelves and racks for clothing adorned every wall, not leaving any of the paint behind them visible.

I forced myself not to get excited about it, reminding myself why I was here. Because my mother was dead. As soon as I had thought about her, the pain was so intense it was as if I’d been punched in the stomach.

As much as my room fit me, I felt so out of place here. I didn’t belong, I didn’t know anyone. I was a stranger to them as they were to me. I wanted my mom back. I wouldn’t resent Matt so much if I had met him when mom was alive.

He wasn’t there for me that night when the police had shown up at my door. He wasn’t there to comfort me when I collapsed in my living room after they had left. He was never there. How could he ever expect me to consider him my father?

Yet again, I forced myself to push all of those thoughts to the back of my head. If I didn’t think so much, I would be as okay as I possibly could be. Noticing a cordless phone on the desk, I hastily picked it up, and punched in the number I had dialled so many times before. I need to hear that I could relate with, one that I could take comfort with when I heard it.

“Hello?” Came Tyler’s concerned voice. I immediately felt better at the sound of it. Back home, it was just after noon, but I knew he wouldn't be back in school yet. He'd refused to go without me, but that changed when talks of living with my father began, and he stayed home to spend as much time with me as possible. His parents didn't mind because they knew we had only limited time left with each other.

“Hey Ty,” I breathed as I sat down on the bed, holding my head with my free hand. I desperately wished he was here with me. Things would be so much easier if he was here with me.

“Payton!” He replied, his voice instantly becoming cheerful and excited. “How was the flight? You have a heart attack did you?” He laughed, although his toned was laced with concern. He knew how much I hated flying.

“I almost did,” I chuckled, trying to sound as happy as he was. “But I got over it once we got up in the air.”

“That’s good,” He sounded relieved, but quickly carried on to something else. “You meet the rest of Avenged yet?”

“No, but apparently they’ll be over in a bit. I met Val though. She’s really nice. She said Jimmy couldn’t wait to meet me.” I grinned, even though he obviously couldn’t see me.

If there was anyone Tyler was obsessed with, it was The Rev. He worshiped the man, and I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if he had a shrine to him in his bedroom. “Dude,” He gasped, “You have to—get his autograph for me or... or something!” He was speechless, that much was obvious.

“Calm yourself, Tina,” It felt so good to be talking to him like nothing was wrong. It helped me forget everything that happened over the past few weeks, even if it was just for a few minutes. “I could probably get him to phone you or something. And remember, you’re coming to visit – sometime soon. I’ll seriously die if you don’t.”

“I will, Patey, I promise. Maybe over Easter break.” I swallowed. That was months away.

Just before I could reply, I heard footsteps coming down the hall. It sounded as if they were running full out. I waited the few seconds it took for them to get to my door, and a fast, almost frantic knock sounded at my door. “I gotta go Tyler, I’ll talk to you later okay?”

“Okay, P. Love you.”

“Love you too.” As much as I didn’t want to, I quickly hung up and put the phone back on its base. After another knock, I rushed over to the door and swung it open, resisting the urge to tell whoever was behind it off.

Jimmy Sullivan stood there, in all his glory. If Tyler were here, he would shit himself. I, on the other hand, was slightly scared. Jimmy had this huge, crazy, and contagious smile on his face. He didn’t move as he took me in, grinning even more as he saw how short I was.

“Uh, hi?” I greeted warily after another few moments of silence. I blushed, I couldn’t stand it when people stared at me.

“Oh my god! You’re so tiny!” Without warning, he crushed me into a hug. I made an ‘oomph’ sound as he literally picked me up off my feet so he could hug me properly. After a few moments, he set me down but kept his hands on my shoulders as he crouched down to my height. “You like a... you’re like an elf!

It was next to impossible to be mad at such a happy guy, so I just smiled up at him. Besides, I was used to much, much harsher comments than that one. That was actually cute compared to what I was called in school.

He didn’t give me time to reply. “You can call me Uncle Jimmy. Or just Jimmy if you want. Whatever. I already know who you are, Payton! Oh yes, I’ve been going crazy ever since your dad left. I know what I’m gonna call you! How’s Mini-Me sound?”

Grabbing my hand, he all but dragged me out of my room and down the hall. I blinked, several times. He was talking a mile a minute. And the one thing that scared me most was the fact that I actually understood what he was saying. He wouldn’t give me time to reply, though, so I basically zoned out and concentrated on not tripping as we made our way down the stairs.

“What’s your favourite color, Payton?” He asked suddenly, standing directly in front of me as his blue eyes probed mine.

By then, we were standing just outside of a living room, and from what I could tell, there were at least eight people in it. And they were all staring at me. I shifted nervously on the balls of my feet. “Uhm... red, I guess.” I replied quietly, wondering why he was asking such a random question. But then again, everything he had said to be so far had been random.

He jumped as if he had just won the lottery and pointed almost accusingly at Val, who as sitting next to Matt on the largest sofa. “See, Val! I told you she’d like red more than purple!” He swivelled back around and grinned at me. “I helped pick out the colors for your room. Val said you’d like purple more, but no, Mini-Me! I knew!”

I let a small laugh escape my lips, this guy just breathed happiness, and it was hard not feel like you were having fun when you were around him. I had a feeling I would like him.

Val rolled her eyes, but grinned at the both of us. Matt got up from his seat and stood next to Jimmy, smiling warmly at me. “I guess you met Jimmy,” He laughed, sounding more at ease now that we weren’t completely alone with each other. However, he was hesitant as he reached out and placed his hand on my shoulder, giving me a gentle push so I was now fully in the living room.

Hadn’t he gotten the message at the airport? I could deal with this for now, though. The promise I’d made to Tyler was still lurking somewhere in the depths of my mind. Also, just because he and I weren’t going to get along doesn’t mean I couldn’t with everyone else. And I was pretty sure that shrugging him off like I had at the airport wouldn’t be the best impression I could have on his friends.

He began pointing around the room to each person, introducing them to me. ”That’s Zacky and his girlfriend Gena, Brian and his wife Michelle. She’s Val’s twin.” He said as he pointed to the two couples who sat on the sofa across from Val. Each of them grinned and waved, while I managed to crack a smile back. I could tell right off the bat that Michelle and Val were related, and I hoped she was as nice as Val. “Then there’s Johnny and his girlfriend Lacey, and Leana is Jimmy’s wife.”

That was a lot to remember, but I already knew the guys names and some of the girls, so it wasn’t so bad. Jimmy sat down by Leana, and Val patted the place next to her on the sofa, smiling warmly. “Come sit next to me, Payton.”

I smiled, thankful to be free from Matt’s grasp as I sat down next to her. But then, much to my dismay, Matt sat next to me, so I ended up being sandwiched between him and Val.

Across from me, Brian grinned, but didn’t say anything. I looked around questioningly, and of course, everyone was still staring at me, silent. Could they even at least try to conceal it?

“Man,” Zacky breathed after a moment, looking completely amazed. “She looks just like you, Matt.”

“I know!” Brian finally gasped and leaned forward even more in his seat to get a better look at me. I shrunk back into the sofa, hating the stares they were still giving me.

I wanted to groan, I really don’t know how I managed not to. I wanted to tell them to stop staring at me, but I just couldn’t get the words out. This was all new territory for me, all new people. I didn’t know anyone. If I wasn’t around someone I knew, I was shy as hell.

Matt merely smiled and glanced down at me, before looking back to Brian and Zacky. “I know.”

“Look how skinny she is!” Leana said, nudging Johnny with her elbow, as if giving him some sort of important news. “She looks just like you though, Matt.”

Nods and sounds of agreement echoed throughout the room, and Jimmy grinned triumphantly. “See, Mini-Me? That’s why I’m gonna call you Mini-Me. You look just like your dad, but you’re not even half the size of him!”

Hmm..at that moment, ‘Dr. Evil’ seemed like quite a fitting title for Matt.

The one thing I wanted to do then was crawl into a hole and die. Really, I did. Or hide my face in my hands at the very least. Their stares, although I knew they meant nothing by them, seemed to pierce right through me.

“Alright guys, that’s enough. You’re embarrassing her now.” I jumped when Matt spoke and turned to stare at him, almost in disbelief, but I quickly covered it up and went back to picking at the hem of my shirt.

To say the least, I was not expecting Matt to say that. Maybe, just maybe, he wasn’t as bad as I had originally thought he was. But that didn’t mean I would be completely comfortable around him and strike up a good conversation with him whenever I felt like it. What I then promised to myself, and to Tyler, was that I would at least be civil around him, and actually answer him when he asked me something.

That wouldn’t be so bad, would it? Although I didn’t know the story between him and mom, and I would probably always blame him until I knew the truth, I promised I wouldn’t jump to conclusions, yet.

Everyone moved on to different topics of conversation, something about an upcoming album (or something about a break from touring. Either or), but everyone’s eyes flickered to me every now and then, and I could tell that they all wanted to ask me something. I tuned them out then, but my mind unwillingly wandered back to the past. To my old life.

What would I be doing now if everything was normal? It was early here, around ten or eleven in the morning, but back home it was sometime in the afternoon, probably close to two PM. It was a Wednesday, so I would more than likely be in school, with Tyler. That was at least, if weren’t suspended again. We always managed to get ourselves into some kind of trouble, whether it be pulling hilarious (well, in our opinion) pranks or getting into fights. And usually, we got punished for it.

We didn’t mind, though. In our opinion, it was worth it. After all, it was high school. You were supposed to have fun, right? And if getting suspended for standing up for yourself, which usually resulted in a fight, we were fine with that. Or I was. Tyler usually only got in fights because he felt like he needed to protect me.

Looking back on it, though, I felt horrible for stressing my mom out with all of our crap. Like any mother, she hated it when I got in trouble. And even more when I didn’t listen to her. I could never get passed my tough exterior and realize that she only wanted the best for me. That was another thing I regretted so much.

“Huh, Payton?” Johnny laughed and grinned, and I looked at him questioningly. I obviously missed something.

“What?” I asked, my voice small compared to the other voices that filled the room.

“I heard you snuck out last night. Matt called Brian and it sounded like he was going to have a mild stroke.”

Beside me, Matt stiffened and I realized that it hadn’t been brought up since I’d gotten home last night. Geez, thanks for reminding him, Johnny. However, he didn’t say anything about the matter, and I can’t describe how thankful I was that he hadn’t. That would just give me another reason not to give him a chance.

So, I just shrugged smiled mischievously, hoping that would be enough. “Yep,” Zacky grinned as he stretched out and lazily slung an arm around Gena’s waist. “She’s just like her dad.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Seven stars :D I got a bunch of comments on the last chapter, and they were all awesome! I'd like to thank the following for commenting:

JenniferChaos
smarties_178
the-quiet-one
FallenIce
Foralwaysmydarling
FernFamicide
franks_not_dead
XnightXtiger
Azulxx00xx
Midnight-Sky-Blue

Also, I'd like to give a shout-out to If You Only Knew..., as she has an awesome story going. You should definitely check her stuff out ;)

With this chapter, you get a glimpse of Matt's... situation, so I hope I did alright with it.