Status: alive and kicking

In the Mind of Madness

Why Not?

Kenna didn’t see The Joker on Friday, and she fought with herself all weekend over what to do. When she was invited over to Darla’s for dinner and a movie her new friend noticed how tense she was.

“Oh, it’s a patient I’m having some trouble with.” said Kenna, chewing on her lip as they watched Patrick Swayze and Jennifer Gray dance onstage.

Darla shoved a handful of popcorn into her mouth. “Tell me about it.”

“I really can’t. Doctor-patient confidentiality.” Kenna told her with an apologetic smile, though she hardly thought that applied to The Joker.

“Just give me the basics. You don’t have to give me names or specifics. Maybe I can help you out.” insisted Darla, and Kenna gave in.

She really needed advice, and she couldn’t go to Dr. King because she already knew that his answer would be ‘no‘, and he would probably pull her off the case.

“Well, he’s what we call a sociopath. Superficially charming, but emotionally detached. I’ve been working with him for a little while, and he won’t talk to me about anything relevant.” Kenna paused to chuckle, realizing what a waste of time all their chats had been. “Anyway, he’s told me that if I talk to him about myself, he’ll tell me about himself in return. I don’t know what to do.”

“Why not? He’s locked up in Arkham, what can he do about it?” shrugged Darla, eating more popcorn.

Kenna nodded. “I thought that, too. But he’s really smart, like genius caliber, and he’s lied to me before. I’m afraid if I tell him what he wants to know, he’ll use it against me and clam up.”

“Yeah, I get that. If I were you I’d take it slow. Just give him a little info, and see how it goes. If he starts to screw you over, then quit talking to him. You gotta do your job, right?”

“You know what, I think that is right. Thanks, Darla.”

The red-headed woman smiled, her dark blue eyes squinting. “No problem.”
♠ ♠ ♠
edited: August 14, 2011