Status: alive and kicking

In the Mind of Madness

You Win

Kenna woke up disoriented; someone was pinching her arm. She sat up and remembered where she was, shoving away the person standing above her. They fell with a huff, and Kenna stood up, scared in the dark.

“Jeez, Kenna.” grumbled Darla, and Kenna could hear her standing up.

When she heard her supposed friend‘s voice Kenna soured immediately. “What do you want?”

“You fell asleep on the couch. The boss wanted me to take you to your room.”

Kenna blinked. “I have a room?”

“Yeah. Come on I’ll show you.” Darla spoke like there was a smile in her voice, leading the way.

“This isn’t a slumber party.” grouched Kenna, but at realizing the kink in her neck followed Darla towards where a bed hopefully waited.

Darla took the stairs two at a time, and Kenna noticed she had a gun tucked into her back pocket. It was hard to process that she was actually being held prisoner. She felt like she should have been chained up or something. But then again all the guns around would make it hard to escape.

They went down a dark hall, lit only by a flickering light bulb. Darla opened a door among several others, gesturing for Kenna to go into the room. Ready to fall over and sleep, Kenna was grateful to see a bed. A new-looking bed with a fluffy black comforter that contrasted oddly with the peeling walls and old wood floor. Just as she was going to flop onto the bed she looked into the far corner of the room.

“Is this some kind of joke?” she demanded of Darla, who was leaning against the doorway casually.

Before Darla answered, The Joker turned in his seat to reply. “We’re a very serious bunch, doll. Get used to it.”

“I will not sleep in your room.” Kenna enunciated very clearly, her hands balling into fists.

The Joker sighed as if speaking to a toddler throwing a tantrum. “How else am I supposed to keep an eye on you?”

Kenna glared at him as he returned to whatever was on the desk in front of him. She stalked up to stand behind him, glaring down at his curly green hair. “You do not need to ‘keep an eye on me’. There are thugs with guns at all exits, remember?”

The Joker didn‘t look at her as he answered. “And how well do you think you’re going to fare if those thugs decide they want a little fun while they’re on the job? I can only be sure that they won’t come into one room, and that is mine.”

A blush crept slowly up her neck as she gathered what he meant, causing Kenna to emit a small ‘oh’ before sitting cautiously on the edge of the bed. After a few minutes The Joker looked back at her, raising an eyebrow.

“Are you waiting for me to tuck you in?”

Kenna sent him one last glare before removing her shoes and her jacket. The Joker went back to his work, and she tried to forget he was there as she pulled back the comforter and climbed under. It was so soft and warm she sighed, letting her eyes close slowly. She drifted between sleep and awareness, exhausted but wary of sleeping in a room with The Joker.

A while later, she wasn’t sure how long, the pressure on the bed changed. Kenna cracked one eye open to see The Joker laying on his back next to her. She shot up, ready to flee.

“What are you doing?” her eyes were half open but her tone was extremely wary.

The Joker kicked off his boots with a grunt. “I’m going to sleep. If that’s alright with you.”

“It’s not.” snapped Kenna. “I’m not sleeping in a bed with you. It‘s bad enough being in the same room.”

“Kenna, dear, it’s my bed. You are merely here because I don’t trust my employees.” The Joker made an exasperated face. “Really hard to find people in this city without a criminal record.”

She chose to ignore his goading. “Well, I’ll sleep on the floor then.”

Kenna moved to get off the bed and found a velvety gloved hand wrapped firmly around her forearm. “No you won’t.” And when she opened her mouth to protest The Joker took a knife out of his pocket.

“You are extremely irritating.” hissed Kenna, then rolling over so her back was to him.

She laid there fuming. Why couldn’t she just sleep on the floor? The Joker never explained anything and always did what he pleased. Kenna just wanted to sleep. Just wanted to dream that she was safe at home, far from whatever macabre nightmare her brain had concocted for her.

There was a moment of silence before The Joker spoke to her again, his high voice making her shudder. “Aren’t you wondering why you’re here?”

“Maybe I haven’t asked because I just don’t give a damn. Or maybe I already have an idea of what you want with me, and I’m trying to think of a way out of it.” Kenna made a few noises of discomfort and snuggled into the bed farther away from The Joker.

“Oh, I think you give a damn.” chuckled The Joker. “You get so angry when you don’t get your way. I sense that you are an only child.”

Kenna snarled hatefully at her pillow. “I sense that you were an only child, probably raised by wolves. Or insane circus people.”

This made The Joker laugh again. “So touchy, Kenna. I could really make a career out of pissing you off.”

“You already have a career. Reeking havoc on the innocent people of Gotham.” retorted Kenna, sitting up just slightly to punch her pillow, imagining The Joker’s face on it.

“If you honestly believe any of those cowardly maggots are innocent -”

Kenna cleared her throat noisily to interrupt. “Can we please skip the lecture on how dreadful they are? I’m tired and your ranting doesn’t exactly lull one to sleep.”

The Joker sighed. “You’re no fun at all.”

“Sorry for boring you.”

It was silent between them for a long time, but just as Kenna was about to fall asleep The Joker started to whistle softly to himself. She covered her ears, but he just did it louder. Kenna groaned and turned her head to look at him.

“Can I help you?”

The Joker was tapping his hands on his stomach, his face thoughtful. “I don’t believe that you’re not afraid of me. I can see it in your eyes when you act all confident and stoic.”

“Please.” grumbled Kenna, scoffing and putting her back to him again.

She let out a little yelp as he grabbed her roughly by the arm, rolling her onto her back and straddling her hips. Kenna couldn’t help but let a little fear slip into her eyes as The Joker held her hands above her head with one hand, his other hand pressing the knife into her stomach. She watched helplessly as the painted face of The Joker got closer to hers, until their faces were only centimeters apart. His hot breath blew across her face as he spoke, his cold brown eyes locking onto her green ones.

“It’s easy to act indestructible when there’s a security camera and armed guards. Isn’t it, toots? But just look at you now!” The Joker sneered in her face, but Kenna refused to look away. “You lose all your courage along with the assurance of safety, and that, Dr. Archer…makes you a chicken.”

Kenna struggled briefly, but he was too strong. “Fine. You win.” she glared up at him.

The Joker wore a triumphant grin as he slowly got off her, throwing himself back down beside her. Kenna’s blood was boiling, and she went back onto her side like she was going to go back to sleep. Before she could think about what she was about to do Kenna flipped back around and lunged at The Joker, taking him by surprise. She was surprised herself. Kenna was naturally not a very violent person. Unless she was very upset. Like now.

Her hand found his, taking the knife out of it as she tackled him to the floor. They toppled off the bed noisily, Kenna landing so she was sitting on The Joker’s legs. She hesitated for half a second, giving The Joker time to reach to shove her, but she thought quickly. Kenna held the knife suspended over an area that she figured The Joker considered rather important. He froze, raising both eyebrows at her. A smirk crept onto her face.

“Who wins?” she searched, inching the knife closer to his pants.

A strange flicker stirred in his eyes as he smirked back at her, raising his hands in surrender. “This round goes to Dr. Archer. Though she wins by a bellow the belt move.”

“But she still wins.” said Kenna in a low voice, standing up cautiously.

For a moment she gazed down at The Joker, the knife feeling white hot in her hand. She could take a chance and run. She could kill him. No, she couldn’t. Kenna was sure that she wouldn’t be able to kill another human being. And even if she managed to get away from The Joker, she wouldn’t get past the armed men at every door. The Joker stared up at her, watching her deliberating. She knew enough about him to guess he wanted her to try and run.

With a sigh Kenna put her hand down for The Joker. His expression turned impassive as he took it and let her help him up. When he was standing he snatched the knife out of her hand, stowing it in his pocket. Kenna gave him a teasing grin and made her way back to her side of the bed, cuddling up under the covers for a satisfied night’s sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
edit: August 16, 2011