Status: alive and kicking

In the Mind of Madness

No Half-Assing

Sitting at the rickety kitchen table, Kenna ate a banana and watched the news playing on the large set in the living room. Her kidnapping was big news apparently, and her eyes widened as she saw the image of the newscaster switch to a press conference. It was Dr. King, leaning down slightly to talk into the microphone.

“I’ve known Kenna since she was just a baby, and the only thing I care about is her safe return. Everyone in the city knows how dangerous The Joker is, so any information that can be given on her whereabouts is considered very valuable. I hand the mike off to Mr. Bruce Wayne, who is offering a reward with the Gotham Police Department.”

Kenna choked on her food, making The Joker looked over at her from his place on the sofa. She got up and went into the room with him, standing behind the couch, her eyes locked on the screen as Bruce came up to the microphone.

“Dr. Archer was a valued member of the staff at Arkham, and they are truly suffering in her absence-”

The Joker snorted. “Overstatement of the century.”

Kenna scowled at him as Bruce went on. “I’m doing what I can to help deter any more violence on The Joker’s part. It’s not much compared to what our good men and women in the police force are doing -” The Joker cracked up at that, and Kenna moved closer to hear. “but I am offering a ransom of five-hundred-thousand dollars to The Joker or anyone else who can safely bring Dr. Archer to the Gotham Police Department.”

It went on, but The Joker muted the television. Kenna glared at him. “ So can I go back now?”

“Oh, darling, you are worth so much more than five hundred grand.” The Joker told her in a mocking tone.

“I don’t understand why I’m here.” sighed Kenna, sitting as far as possible from The Joker on the couch.

“Let me explain something, Kenna. You are here for several reasons. The two most important being: I enjoy it when you’re angry, and to shove bamboo splinters under the police department’s nails.”

Kenna rolled her eyes at him. “What are the other reasons?”

The Joker didn’t answer. Instead he stood up and bellowed two names at the top of his lungs, making Kenna flinch into the cushions of the sofa. “CHUCKLES! DARLA!”

Kenna watched as her former friend and a guy with odd patterns shaved onto his head came down the stairs, waiting for orders from their boss. Kenna wasn’t sure where the various ‘employees’ resided in the house, since it seemed to be much bigger than she ever saw. There seemed to be a door leading deeper into it, but an armed thug blocked her way in. Kenna only ever saw the bedroom and bathroom in the upper level, and the kitchen and living room of the lower level.

Kenna turned her attention back to The Joker when she saw him gesturing at her, the same thing he’d done when she first got out of the basement. Slapping his leg like she was a trained dog. Stubbornly she crossed her arms, refusing to move from her seat. The Joker nodded at ‘Chuckles’, then headed for the door. The big man came towards Kenna, lifting her harshly and throwing her over his shoulder.

“Put me down!” she shouted immediately, pounding her fists on his back.

He didn’t listen to her, and Kenna watched the ground as she was carried outdoors. She could hear movement, and the opening and closing of car doors. Kenna gasped as she was tossed into what she quickly realized was a van, Darla sitting next to her. Darla sent her a smile as she pulled on her clown mask and Kenna turned away coldly, looking to the front of the van as The Joker got into the driver’s seat.

A scream burst out of Kenna’s throat as the van flew into furious motion, shooting down the alleyway they were in and out onto the street. She squeezed her eyes shut, hanging onto the seat for dear life. Kenna could hear the loud cackling of The Joker and the subdued giggling of Darla, but she was too focused on not throwing up. She couldn’t think about how sick it was for them to be enjoying such a ride.

When Kenna was sure she would have to hurl they screeched to a stop, barely giving her time to brace herself before she flung forward into the back of the passenger seat. She heard The Joker laugh at her as she grunted in pain, then she was being yanked out of the van. Kenna furrowed her brow in confusion as Chuckles pulled on her hands so she was holding her arms out, palms up.

“No way!” she cried as he put a large gun in her hands.

Chuckles tightened her grip on it, then started securing her hands to the gun with black tape. Kenna grimaced at The Joker as he came around to her side of the van, a gun slung over his shoulder. She was about to comment on his lack of personnel for whatever they were doing when another van pulled up behind them, five more thugs in masks piling out. Kenna began to wonder why they needed so much firepower, but then there was a gun shoved into her temple.

“When we go in there you’re going to stick with me. Don’t talk unless you want me to start shooting bank-goers. When I give you a signal you’re going to point that thing at whatever teller you’re closest to, and be threatening. No half-assing, or we start shooting. Got me, doll?” Kenna glanced spitefully at The Joker before nodding, and he patted her head once. “Good girl.”

Kenna was quickly tiring of the dog act, but didn’t say anything as she walked with them towards the back door of what she now figured was a bank. The Joker kept his gun pressed into the small of her back until they were inside, then he whipped it around to shoot the security guard before he could report the break in on his radio. Kenna gasped as the man fell to the ground, and she realized what she was about to do.

Rob a bank.

“Keep moving.” ordered The Joker in a growl, shoving her forward.

She dug her heels into the ground, keeping her mouth shut but shaking her head. The Joker let out an impatient sigh at her and put an arm around her waist, bringing her alongside him so forcefully she couldn’t get away, especially with her hands taped to a gun. Kenna watched anxiously as The Joker kicked open another door, making several people scream as they caught sight of him. Yep, definitely a bank.

“Everybody please remain calm. This is NOT a drill!” he shouted, blasting a warning shot into the air.

Kenna winced as he pointed her in the direction of the wall of tellers, who all put their hands in the air at the sight of her gun. Shaking slightly, Kenna raised the gun and aimed it at the chest of the woman in front of her, hoping that she wasn’t ’half-assing it’ as The Joker had said. Tears swelled in the woman’s eyes, and then she looked like she recognized Kenna.

“You’re that woman from the news.” she gasped.

Kenna could see The Joker turn in her direction out of the corner of her eye. She knew that if the woman wasn’t quiet it could be the end for both of them. “Please be quiet.” whispered Kenna.

“Why are you doing this?” asked the woman tearfully.

“Shh!” Kenna begged, holding the gun closer to the teller.

The wetness spilled down the woman’s cheeks, and then she was pleading. “Don’t do this. Please, I have a husband and a son and -”

Behind her The Joker took a step in her direction, and Kenna panicked. “SHUT UP!”

Kenna closed her eyes, hating herself. She could hear The Joker laughing at her, and it made her want to turn the gun on him, but she wasn’t going to risk anyone’s safety. The teller sobbed quietly as Kenna continued to aim the gun at her. Kenna was beginning to wonder what was taking so long, but then The Joker’s gloved hand was around her waist again pulling her away from her post.

She lowered the gun and walked submissively at his side, her head down as she tried not to cry. She had just been trying to protect the woman, but she knew what it looked like. Kenna had looked like one of The Joker’s goons. She was silent during the ride back through the city, her eyes glued to the gun in her hands.
♠ ♠ ♠
edit: August 16, 2011