Status: alive and kicking

In the Mind of Madness

Denial

It wasn’t right at all. Kenna knew that, and she was doing her best to forbid herself from the strange thoughts that kept floating into her subconscious. She continued to wake up from the same dream, biting back pants so she wouldn’t wake The Joker. And she was finding her body all too aware of the warmth of him next to her.

She carefully rolled so her back was to him, trying to get back to sleep. It was impossible. Kenna couldn’t forget the feeling of his scarred lips on her, pressing so hard that it was painful. She didn’t know what he had been playing at, but something obviously. He wouldn’t kiss her without cause. Not that it was a kiss. Kisses entailed romantic feelings of some sort, and Kenna did not feel that way about The Joker AT ALL. Or so she kept repeating to herself.

The only thing I felt was disgust, she kept reminding herself until she believed it. The Joker grunted in his sleep, making her body stiffen. Kenna held in a frightened squeak as an arm slithered across her stomach, pulling her roughly. Her eyes widened as her back came in contact with The Joker’s chest, his arm staying over her body.

Cautiously, not wanting him to wake up, Kenna grabbed his sleeve and threw his arm back onto his side of the bed. She waited for a moment, and when he didn’t stir she scooted farther away and sighed in relief. The last thing she wanted was that psycho spooning her in the middle of the night. She had just watched him blow up a library for underprivileged kids, which Kenna considered somewhat of a turn off. The fact that he was holding her prisoner and liked to piss her off didn’t score him any points either.

She groaned in frustration as a second later his arm went around her again, attempting to throw him off a little more violently this time. Kenna gasped as his grip tightened, resisting her.

“Tell me something, Kenna…” said The Joker’s voice, gruff and lower than usual with sleep. Kenna couldn’t help but shudder, his warm breath tickling her ear as he spoke. “Why do you try so hard to be good, even though you know that it’s impossible?”

Kenna took a deep breath before answering him in a whisper. “Morals…and lately the determination to prove you wrong.”

The Joker chuckled into the back of her neck. Kenna thought she felt him inhale slightly, but before she could mention it he was talking again. “Denial is an ugly shade on you, precious.”

“My hair isn’t green.” she mumbled, feeling her eyelids getting heavier.

He laughed again, a rumble in his chest that Kenna was too tired to deny felt nice against her back. “You’re going to come to the dark side eventually.”

Kenna shook her head and sighed, falling closer and closer to sleep. She knew she should not be that comfortable snuggled up against her kidnapper, but she would have to hate herself for it in the morning.
♠ ♠ ♠
edit: August 16, 2011