Status: alive and kicking

In the Mind of Madness

Forced

“Kenna…Oh, Kenna…Answer me or I’m going to get irritated.”

Sighing, the blonde woman broke her vow of silence. At least she‘d kept it up for an entire day. “What is it, Joker?” she said his name like it was a dirty word.

“Put that on.”

Kenna cringed slightly as a black dress bag landed in her lap. She unzipped it and found a dark purple dress inside, made of very slinky materiel. Running it through her fingers, Kenna grimaced.

“I want to know why.” she watched The Joker’s back.

The clown looked up from his position digging under the bed. “Curiosity maimed the cat.”

“I’m already maimed.” retorted Kenna, holding up her hand. The Joker snorted and she went on. “It wont hurt anything if you tell me. It’s not like I can do anything. You’re so much stronger than weak little me.”

“Finally you embrace the truth!” squawked The Joker, sniggering at her as he stood. “Now put that on so we can get going. There are two things I won’t tolerate: machismo and lateness.”

“That’s the best joke I’ve heard so far.” grumbled Kenna, watching as the door shut behind The Joker.

The only thing she could be thankful for in putting on the dress was the fact that she’d finally gotten to shave her legs. Three days before she’d had to put her foot down and demand some items. Admittedly the look on The Joker’s face when she told him she needed tampons and razors was humorous. It was nice to have the little luxuries in her own personal hell.

Kenna felt cold and naked in the dress, wishing there was more of it. Nonetheless she pulled her new brush through her hair, realizing it was getting longer than she liked it, and went out to the living room of the house that was her prison. Darla and two goons were on the couch, gnawing on what appeared to be cold sausage pizza. When she entered the room they all simultaneously whistled at her, making Kenna turn red and scowl at them.

“Where’s the boss taking you?” asked Darla.

“I was going to ask you.”

Moving to the kitchen, Kenna gingerly removed her brace and tested out her hand. It was still a little tender, but she didn’t want to wear the brace outside of the house. The Joker just made fun of it. She washed her hands and splashed a little cold water on her face. Whatever was in store, she was fairly positive that it wasn’t going to be very good.

“You sure do clean up good, kitten. The whole ‘frumpy doctor‘ thing was just not working for you.”

Kenna didn’t turn to look at The Joker as he came in behind her. “Thank you, I suppose. Are we going?”

“Don’t get so antsy. We’ll leave when I’m ready.”

Resisting the urge to curse at him, Kenna crossed her arms and leaned one hip up against the dirty countertop. She was starting to wonder if she would ever get out of there. It didn’t seem too likely, considering everybody thought she was a psychopath like The Joker, but she wouldn’t lose hope just yet. There was still time.

Abruptly The Joker crossed the distance between them and brushed Kenna’s hair off her shoulder. She watched him silently, eyebrows drawn together nervously and her back very straight. He flitted his cold eyes up to hers and sneered, resting his hand on her shoulder so gently that it startled Kenna. Then she yelped as his finger pinched her pressure point hard, a giggle bursting out of his throat. Kenna glared, but it only made him laugh more. Why did he do that?

The Joker’s gloved hand moved to take her roughly by the wrist on her good hand, spinning her around and pulling her to the van. Kenna didn’t resist in the least, knowing it would be useless. “Do you realize that I can in fact walk on my own? As in without you tugging me like a child?”

“Darling, we both know I can’t trust you not to do something idiotic like try running, and I don’t want to have to shoot you.”

Kenna rolled her eyes at him. “I’m so beyond being afraid of your little threats. Just kill me and get it over with, why don’t you?”

“But then I can’t annoy you to death.”

Since she had been expecting the banged up van, Kenna was surprised to see a very sleek black car waiting in the alley behind the house. She got into the passenger side, looking appreciatively at the leather interior.

“This is stolen.”

The Joker gave her a taunting look. “Figure that out on your own, did you?”

Kenna decided to ignore this jibe. “I’ve been thinking lately that you’re only going to keep me until I serve whatever purpose you have in mind, but at the same time I’m not really sure. It’s been long enough where I’m beginning to wonder if you actually want me around.”

“I find it very funny that you call me an egomaniac all the live long day, and yet you seem to have some fantastical idea that I enjoy your presence. Someone’s head is inflated beneath all that blonde hair.”

Kenna scowled at The Joker as he started the sports car with a purr. “Then I guess I’ll have to wait and see why you’re holding me captive. And if there isn’t a reason…well, I think we both know who wins this particular round.” Kenna smirked, crossing her arms and feeling a little satisfied with herself.

“Don’t be so smug yet, princess.” growled The Joker, his tone half playful and half irritated, with an undertone of vindictive satisfaction. “Your tone shall be changing very shortly.”

“Going to molest me on national television again?”

The Joker smiled at her lopsidedly. “You keep saying that, but the term ‘molest’ implies some amount of resistance. And you were anything but, Kenna my dear.”

“Oh, please.” scoffed Kenna, refusing to look at or talk to him any longer.

They drove downtown, into a slummy neighborhood that Kenna had never been in before. There were very few people on the streets, and as they got deeper into the underbelly of Gotham the road was completely deserted. Kenna was puzzled when they stopped just outside a very dark alley, lit only by a flickering streetlamp. She gasped as a knife was pressed to her leg.

“Listen very closely.” The Joker spoke quietly but clearly, his eyes on the shine of the blade in the light. “At this very moment there is a bomb hidden somewhere in your good friend Dr. King’s apartment, where your mummy and her beau are staying. You’re going to do what I tell you, or I press the button that makes them all go ‘bye, bye’. Am I making myself clear here, sweetheart?”

Kenna swallowed hard, adrenaline already thrumming in her veins. “What do I have to do?”

“Batman is waiting in that alley. He received a message from you earlier today, saying that you have something to discuss with him. You are going to tell Batman that you are with me of your own free will, and that there should be no more doubts of your affiliation. Be convincing. Oh, and make sure you let him know that it was all your idea to blow up that tanker.”

Tears sprang to Kenna’s eyes. She would do what he said, because there was no doubt in her mind that The Joker would kill her mother and Dr. King. Then Batman would let the police know that she was truly The Joker’s accomplice, and the search for her would turn into a manhunt. It was the end of the road.

The Joker moved his knife from the flesh of her leg and put a handgun in her lap. “Don’t let him make any moves, and don‘t try anything stupid. Your dress is bugged. Go.”

Kenna obediently got out of the car, giving herself a moment to catch her breath and calm herself. Maybe it wouldn’t be the end of it. Maybe she still had a chance. Kenna started to walk slowly towards the alley, attempting to move normally and hold the gun steady at her side. A movement in the corner of her eye made her turn, pointing the gun at the movement in the shadows.

“Kenna.” said a gruff voice. Batman came out of the darkness, half of his face visable in the light of the lamp. She kept the gun on him, forcing her face to stay impassive. “What are you doing?”

She wanted to say ‘what I’m told’, but instead she followed her orders. “What I want. I’m sick of all this hostage crap.”

Kenna didn’t let any emotion into her eyes, staring down the Batman fiercely. It was taking every ounce of her training to keep from screaming out the truth and tossing the gun on the ground. She never wanted to touch another gun. Or any weapon for that matter.

She could barely see Batman’s face, but his mouth was frowning deeply, and the sparkle of his eyes in the dark were focused on her.

“He isn’t forcing you?”

Kenna barked out a harsh laugh that made her ribs ache with regret. “I’m not being forced to do anything. Everything I’ve done I’ve done of my own free will. The Joker isn’t my captor. We’re partners.”

“You hated him. You were afraid of him.” Batman said it like it was fact. Like somehow he knew.

For a second Kenna betrayed her surprise that he knew how she felt, then she made herself smirk. “I really had you all thinking I was a damsel in distress didn’t I? Well, I’m sick of the act. See me for what I truly am, Batman.”

“Why?” asked the half-hidden man in a softer voice, the set of his mouth angry.

“There was no way for me to go back.” whispered Kenna, holding tighter to the gun. “No way I could be the same person. I like this life.”

She wanted to be sick. Everything she’d just whispered was true except for that she liked that life. How could she go back now?

“You can go back, Kenna. Come with me now, and we can still fix this.” he took a step forward.

She shook her head, though she was dying to take the offer. She thought of her mother and King and felt new strength, cocking the gun. They could hate her for betraying them, they could join in the hunt. She didn‘t care. The only thing she could do was keep them safe, so she did it.

“Don’t move. You think I want to give this up? It was my idea to blow up that library. I want to see Gotham burning just as badly as he does.”

Batman seemed stunned. “You’re serious.”

“Yes. Now I’m going to leave, and you make sure that everyone knows the truth. I don’t want there to be any misconceptions about my loyalty.”

The tall black shadow moved out of her sight, and Kenna kept the gun in his direction. When it seemed Batman was really gone she slowly backed out of the alley, then turned and sprinted for the car where The Joker was waiting. As soon as she was in the seat he sped off, and Kenna turned her face away so he wouldn’t see her tears of fury.

“Mighty convincing, Kenna. Even Batsy bought your act. Next stop for you is the Golden Globes.”

“You bastard.” she mumbled.

The Joker snorted and fell silent, leaving Kenna to brood over her fate. At least her mother was safe for the time being, even if they would all think that Kenna was a criminal. She was filled with a hopeless fog as they returned to the house, and all she wanted to do was sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
edit: August 16, 2011