Status: alive and kicking

In the Mind of Madness

Behave Yourself

When Kenna came into work the next morning she found Dr. King sitting in her desk. She blinked at him in confusion, her vision still hazy. Kenna had only slept a few hours, continually waking up with the feeling someone was watching her. She was convinced it had nothing to do with The Joker, and once she could have sworn she saw a dark shadow outside her window. Her boss stood up and laughed, shaking her hand vigorously.

“You’re amazing, Kenna. My most promising intern in ages!”

“Huh?”

Dr. King slapped her on the shoulder, making her sway. “Your notes! This is the most I’ve ever gotten from anybody in one sitting. Usually he won’t say a word!”

Kenna thought of the notes she’d stayed late to write down, recounting almost their entire conversation. She smiled, happy she’d done something right.

“Are you up for it again today?”

Unable to hold it in, Kenna groaned. Dr. King’s smile faltered, and she blushed. “Of course, sir. I’m sorry, I just had a hard time sleeping last night.”

“If it’s too much I can get someone else on the case.”

Kenna shook her head vigorously. “No, no. I want it.”

“Listen, Kenna…I don’t want you doing anything you can’t handle.” Dr. King told her gently, looking genuinely concerned.

Shaking her head, Kenna forced her face into something like excitement. “I’m fine. This is a great opportunity that hundreds of psych students would kill for, and I’m glad to have it.”

“That’s my girl. After lunch again today.”

“Yes, sir.”

Dr. King patted her shoulder again, closing the door as he left the office. Kenna sunk down into her seat and cursed under her breath, rubbing her eyes. She felt older than she ever had. Even being in the same room with The Joker tired her out. She thought back to what he’d said when she left him the day before, and wondered what the hell it could have meant.

“Keep it up, Dr. Archer.” she mumbled to herself. The words had kept her up that night until she felt like she would lose her mind. Then when she did finally get to sleep after midnight the stupid feeling of being watched came.

Kenna drifted through the morning slowly, her head in a fog. When lunch rolled around dread was only a small bubble in her stomach, mostly she was just drained. Kenna slumped over her bowl of vegetable soup, jumping when Sheila sat across from her.

“I’ve been worrying all day. How did it go?”

Kenna mustered up the energy to respond. “I don’t know. It was weird. I’m not used to thinking so much about every reply…I feel eighty.”

“Wow. You made it.” Sheila said, whistling appreciatively.

Smiling though she was becoming miffed by everyone‘s lack of confidence in her, Kenna gulped down some more coffee. “I’m doing it again today.”

“Two days in a row? Is that…wise?” asked Sheila, her eyes worried.

Kenna shrugged. “ Dr. King seems to think so. According to him I made the most progress with The Joker out of anyone.”

“Do you think you can handle it? If not, you should really talk to Dr. King.”

“How come nobody around here thinks I’m competent?” Kenna set her fork down noisily, glaring at the wall rather than Sheila.

Sheila raised her eyebrows. “Sorry. I didn’t mean it like that. It would be hard on anyone.”

“No, I’m sorry.” sighed Kenna. “I’m just tired. Well, I’d better go.”

“Good luck.”

Kenna brushed her light blonde hair out of her eyes, realizing she didn’t have it in her characteristic ponytail. She sighed and started the long walk to the windowless room, finding that her nerves only exhausted her more rather than waking her up.

*

“Are you going to say anything, doctor?”

Rubbing her eyes, Kenna sat forward with her elbows on the table. She was too tired to keep up a professional façade, and let all her irritation shine through. “Listen, I am extremely tired.”

“Something keep you up last night?” asked The Joker, familiar polite look on his face, but his eyes laughing.

Why not be honest with the clown? Maybe he would appreciate it more than lies. “Yes. I was trying to understand you, and I decided that I can’t.” Kenna admitted.

“You and every other shrink in this city.” The Joker rolled his eyes.

Kenna frowned. “If you don’t talk we’re not going to get anywhere. Do you want to sit in this room for the rest of your life?”

The Joker moved towards Kenna until he was just inches away from her again. She stared into his eyes, still making herself. Their brown depths were absolutely unfathomable. Entertained, yet cynical. Angry, yet cheerful. The Joker spoke, his hot breath blowing across her face.

“You want me to talk, we’re gonna make some deals.”

Kenna scowled. The phrase ‘never negotiate with terrorists’ popping into her head. “Like what?”

“First, you get me out of this thing.” The Joker said, struggling pointedly against his straight jacket. “After that…we’ll see.”

She deliberated for a moment. If she wanted to get the respect she craved at Arkham, getting the famed Joker to talk to her would be the easiest way to do it. “I think that I can do that.”

Kenna rose from the table and walked behind The Joker, suddenly alert. She swept her hair back over her shoulder so it wouldn’t be in the way. “You had better behave yourself.”

“I can be a good boy.” The Joker replied, giggling.

Kenna rolled her eyes, then bent down to undo the straps of the restraint on The Joker. He didn’t move from his position, so Kenna had to struggle a little to get it undone. She didn’t miss his eyes squinting sideways to watch her, unsure if he was trying to make her feel uncomfortable or just doing it unconsciously.

When he was free The Joker stretched, then before Kenna had time to get back to her side of the table he reached out and grabbed her wrist. She didn’t scream or jerk away like she wanted to. Kenna made herself glare at him and not betray any of her fear.

“Let me go.” she growled.

The guards rushed in, one starting to tug Kenna out of The Joker’s grasp. His brown eyes stayed locked on her green ones, her wrist aching from the strength of his grip and the pulling of the guard. After a brawl that involved all four of the guards, Kenna was freed, and The Joker was shoved back into his straight jacket. As two of the guards forced him from the room, The Joker smiled back at Kenna.

“Until next time, doctor.” he purred, and then he was out of sight.

Kenna rubbed her wrist and shook the last guard off her. “I’m fine.”

She brushed off her lab coat and started for Dr. King’s office. Surely she wouldn’t get off so easily this time.
♠ ♠ ♠
edit: August 14, 2011