Status: This isn't my first arranged marriage story, but I like this one a little more. I'm half-way completed with it, so chapters for this story will be frequent.

Funny the Way It Is When You're Married

Chapter 5: It's rude to the musicians when you don't dance.

By the time I reached my dinner reservation, I had decided that I was going to have fun, with or without my husband.
“You must be Mrs. Alexander,” the hostess smiled.
I was about to protest, until I remembered that that was Noah’s last name.
“And Mr. Alexander?” she asked.
“He won’t be joining me.”
She looked displeased but quickly took me to my table.
As I walked across the restaurant, I noticed it was very lively. Music was being played on the stage by a live band and people were randomly dancing on the dance floor, laughing and smiling.
My table was set up as a table for two, but now it was for a party of one. A cream colored table cloth was draped over the square table, with red roses in the center. I could see that this was supposed to be a simple romantic dinner. The only problem was, I didn’t have a date to share it with.
My table viewed the dance floor, where I could make out the faces of happy couples having fun.
I noticed a little boy dancing alone, trying to find someone who was willing to be his partner, if only for a moment. I felt bad for him. He looked so sad as the disappointment settled in.
He looked to be about seven, with his dark hair slicked back while wearing a casual shirt with dress pants. He kind of reminded me of Noah trying to fit-in in a grown up place, except Noah would make an outfit like that look good.
A waitress neared, blocking me of the view of the little boy.
“Can I get you anything to drink?” she asked politely.
I nodded. Even while driving to the restaurant, I knew I wanted to have an alcoholic beverage. Thank god for a lower drinking age in Fiji.
I asked for a margarita, knowing that I wanted something a bit sweet.
In California, during high school, my friends and I partied a lot. So alcohol was already a part of my life, but I didn’t drink too much. Part of the reason why I could control my drinking was because Kanylla was always with me; and I can’t very well take care of her if I’m drunk… Part of me knew that Kanylla was aware that my self-control was only because of her, which is why she always tagged along.
When my red beverage arrived, I took one sip before I stood.
The young boy was still alone when I took the opportunity to tap his shoulder.
He whipped around, hope in his light eyes and a grin on lips.
“Would you like to dance with me?” I asked with a smile.
He held his grin and rapidly nodded his little head.
The music around us became loud and upbeat and I couldn’t help but get into the rhythm of it. I held his little hands in my own and started randomly swaying about, and spinning him. I knew I may have looked like a complete loser, dancing the way I was, but it didn’t matter. I had vowed to have fun and I was, oddly enough.
“What’s your name?” he asked timidly.
I smiled after I finished spinning around for him, “Liza.”
He grinned, “I like it.”
I laughed. “Thank you; and what’s your name?”
He frowned at this, “Tarry,” he mumbled.
I could see by the face he made, that he didn’t like his name, but I thought it was adorable.
“Well, Tarry, it was a pleasure dancing with you.”
When the song changed to a slower tempo, I bid farewell, placing a tiny kiss on his cheek, leaving him beat red.
But my path to my table was blocked before I could even move.
“May I have this dance?”
I was taken aback.
Here, in front of me, stood a man who looked to be in his mid-twenties, asking me to dance with him.
He wasn’t bad looking either. By the looks of him, I could tell he was a hot-throb in his teens. But something in the back of my head told me that this would be a bad idea if I accepted. I was married. It wouldn’t be considered cheating because I’m not doing anything wrong, but then again, Noah would be angry. I think…
Oh, who cares, right? I’m having fun.
“Sure,” I smiled.
There was something behind the look in his eyes when he smiled, something that didn’t seem safe, but I hardly noticed as he led me deeper into the dance floor.
I panicked when his arm snaked around my waist and his hand took my own, while he swayed us about. I quickly calmed down when I listened to the soft, slow rhythm of the music and I figured that the way we were dancing was appropriate.
“What brings you to Fiji?” he asked.
The normal response would be “honeymoon”, but that would seem weird because Noah wasn’t even here and I was dancing with a complete stranger.
“Vacation,” I said instead.
It wasn’t a complete lie. This was sort of a vacation, minus it being forced and unpleasant.
“Alone?” he smirked, his eyes scanning my mid-drift.
“Not…really,” I mumbled. The way his eyes stared at me with lust made me think that this wasn’t such a great idea.
“How are you “not really” alone?” he chuckled. The laugh wasn’t a Ha-ha pleasant laugh; it was deep and unpleasant.
I cringed and I tried to pull away, but he misunderstood and spun me, with a tight grip on my hand. But when I was out of his reach, I was brought into the arms of…
“Noah?” I asked, slightly astonished.
“Sorry I took so long,” he smiled, but it wasn’t a normal smile, I knew he was a bit angry.
Though I was confused, I was relieved.
Noah slung his arm over my shoulder as I turned to look at the man I was dancing with. He let go of his tight grip on my hand and glared at Noah.
“We were dancing,” he told Noah.
I cringed at the sound of his threatening voice. What the hell? I thought to myself.
“But you were dancing with my wife,” Noah added. The hand that rested on my arm, balled into a fist and I instinctively placed my hand on his chest so I could stop him if he tried something. I was too busy hoping he didn’t kill someone that I completely forgot that I was actually touching him.
“Wife?” The man said, glaring at me before smirking at Noah. “Prove it?”
Noah rolled his eyes, a low, dark laugh erupting from his throat. “Prove it? What; are we children?”
The man glared, but then he smirked. How did he want Noah to prove he was my husband, was the ring on my finger not enough?
“Well, have a nice evening.” he winked at me, before leaving.
I groaned when he was out of ear-shot.
I stalked off into the direction of the table, with Noah’s silent foot steps behind me.
We were alone again…
“Why are you here? I thought you 'weren’t in the mood',” I mimicked him from earlier once we sat down.
He shrugged, “I was curious.”
“Curious? Of what?”
I took a sip of my drink as I stared at him. He didn’t seem angry anymore, so I lightened my tone when he answered.
“I wanted to know what you were going to say before you left the condo.”
I blushed, “I only wanted to know what was wrong. You seemed…stressed,” I mumbled. I was going to tell him he was being a jerk, but I didn’t. We were off to a good start at having a civilized conversation. I didn't want to be the one to ruin it...just yet.
“I’m sorry I was rude to you earlier,” he told me, “purely not my intention.”
I nodded, “Its okay.”
He stared at me for the longest time before he sighed and began to explain, his tone serious. “Now that we’re…married, the business titles are being arranged for Mason and me. I don’t know how he’s handling it, but it’s a long and stressful process that just doesn’t seem to be going away any time soon,” he said. Then he smiled, “You just so happen to be the first person to ask me about it.”
I blushed again, and gave him a small smile as another question popped into my head. “Is that why you were angry on the plane after that phone call?” I asked him.
He nodded, “I was angry that I had to go to a meeting for my father the next day.”
“Oh,” I mumbled.
The waitress came to our table, and I quickly picked the first thing I saw off the menu since I didn’t have time to choose anything because I was busy talking to Noah.
He seemed to have done the same and we just sat silently, until he, as always, broke the silence.
“Shall we start the ‘get to know each other’ process?” he asked.
I frowned to myself. Maybe this dinner could have been prevented if we had had this conversation sometime throughout our eighteen years of knowing each other.
“Better late than never,” I mumbled.
He laughed, “I’ll go first.” He sat in thought before he spoke. “Do you have any idea as to why our parents sent us to Fiji?”
This time I laughed. After my conversation with Kanylla, I knew this answer. “My parents are trying to indulge us in my dream honeymoon. I’ve always dreamt of my honeymoon being in Fiji ever since I came when I was younger. I’m guessing that’s why.”
He nodded but I could tell there was more to his reply.
“What is it?” I asked.
“I haven’t really been that great of a vacation partner, huh?”
I laughed lightly, “No, not really.”
“I appreciate the honesty.”
“Oh, well that’s good.”
He smiled, “Alright your turn.”
I was ready to ask mine. “Do you really want to run your dad’s company?”
“I don’t feel I have a choice.”
I grimaced, “That wasn’t the question. Do you want to?” I asked again.
He boomed with laughter, surprising the people surrounding us, even me. “Well, of course! I’ve been raised to do just this,” then his laughter subsided and he sighed, a smile still playing on his lips, “but sometimes I wish I could do something different.”
My curiosity grew and I leaned forward, “Like what?” I asked.
He stared at his glass before meeting his eyes with mine, “I enjoy playing the piano.”
“Really?” I asked surprised. Noah playing such a romantic, delicate instrument caught me by complete surprise, but it warmed my opinion of him just a tiny bit.
“Yes. Now, I believe that was more than one question.”

We continued our little charade of questions throughout dinner. I would ask; he would answer. He would ask; I would answer.
It was a back and forth game of twenty questions. His were in-depth. He asked about my school years, old friends, what I wanted in life, and about my sister and me.
My questions were centered more about him, whilst his were about my life.
But there was still one question that lingered in my mind ever since we met.
“Noah?” I asked, hoping to ask him now.
We had finished our dinner, and very few people were still in the restaurant.
He didn’t seem to hear me though. He was staring off.
“N-,”
“Would you like to dance?” he asked, cutting me off.
Like most of the night, I was shocked, “Are you drunk?”
He was drinking stronger drinks then I was. Perks of being 21, I guess; but I couldn’t fathom that he could get drunk so easily.
He smiled at my question. “No, I’m not. But we can’t come to a dancing environment without dancing. That would be rude to the musicians, don’t you think?”
I rolled my eyes but smiled.
He led me to the dance floor, where other couples were in each other’s embrace.
The song was slow. Noah placed his hand on the little of my back, pulling me towards his body, while placing my hand in his. Pressed against him, we began to sway.
I nervously laid my hand behind his neck, before relaxing and just moving with the music.
Noah was staring at me, I could tell by the way he bent his head down to see me. The heat was rushing to my face when he spun me. He chuckled at my awkwardness, but we continued to dance.
My eyes slowly moved away from the other romantic couples around us, and towards Noah.
I took the opportunity to look at his eyes.
They were wonderful. His eyes were brown, but a cloudy gray around the pupil.
They looked sad and incontent, but there was a slight glow behind them.
Then, just as quickly as his warm brown eyes met mine, they became cold.
“What is it?” I asked him, worried that I had done something wrong.
“Your previous dance partner can’t seem to mind his own business.” His voice was hard.
Noah scoffed and I took my chance to sneak a glance at the other man. He was staring at us, standing near the bar. He lifted his glass up when he saw me and smirked.
He made me grimace and I asked Noah if we could leave.
“That’s a good idea.”
As he paid, I waited anxiously. I could sense the man’s eyes boring into my back.
I walked quickly behind Noah, if that was even possible with how fast he was walking.
He was still uptight as we were driven to the condo. It wasn’t until we arrived, that he relaxed.
“Next time, try not to accept an offer to dance by a stranger,” he suggested playfully as we walked into the condo.
“What makes you think there will be a next time?” I laughed lightly.
He smirked, “There will be.”
I rolled my eyes, but the small blush was still visible on my cheeks. “Whatever. I’m going to bed now.”
Noah followed, laughing at me I could only guess.
I grabbed sleeping clothes and shut the door to the bathroom so I could wash my face and change into the light pajamas. The tank top hugged my body, but it was light enough to keep me cool through the night. The pants hung from my hips, showing a small amount of my stomach, but it didn’t bother me because I was going to sleep anyway.
Noah was already lying in bed by the time I was out of the bathroom. His eyes were closed and he was leaning back against the pillows. I switched off the lights, using the lamination from the moon through the open balcony doors, to crawl into my side of the bed.
We were quiet for a long time, simply enjoying the cool breeze, and I thought Noah had fallen asleep when I heard him chuckle.
“What?” I asked nervously.
“Married couples don’t do this,” he laughed.
“Do what?”
“This! We are lying in bed awkwardly. I’m pretty positive married couples don’t just lie in bed.”
I get what he meant, but I also knew that he understood why weren’t doing that.
“We aren’t a typical married couple, Noah. We didn’t marry out of love therefore sex is out of the picture for right now.”
Noah didn’t respond but he chuckled. “For right now,” he echoed.
I blushed and buried my face in the nearest pillow.
The thought of sleeping with Noah was embarrassing. Not in the ashamed kind of way, but it was embarrassing simply thinking about sex. Of course, there would be at least one night of intimacy considering I’d have to give him a child.
Still, I was a virgin. He was my husband, but sex was still a touchy subject.
Noah knocked me out of those thoughts when he chuckled again.
“Goodnight,” he breathed.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sort of cute, I think. Noah isn't a bad guy. Eliza just doesn't want to see it. Ha. Comment, if you will.
xoxo