Status: In progress. Chapter two by Saturday.

Accidents Happen

How Emo Kids Roll

“Remember, Emma, you’re not supposed to look at your fingers.”
“Like this, right?”
“Mhmm.”
I just needed her to get through Midnight Sonata without error, and I could go home. The first time, we got halfway through when Emma stared at her fingers. This time, though, she was almost done, and she started looking at her fingers again. But as they say, third time’s a charm, right?
“Let’s do it again,” I said. Emma nodded, her brow creased with determination.
She started over. Played almost the whole song, when Isaac came downstairs and played with the low keys.
“ISAAC!” Emma screeched. “You messed me up!”
“Ahaha!” he exclaimed, running off to the basement.
“He’s such a turd,” Emma muttered. She looked at me. “Did I do good?” I nodded. “Really good?”
“Of course. We just have to work on that finger staring thing,” I told her, and it was the truth. Emma beamed and hugged me.
“Will you play something? Or two? Pleeeaaase?”
“Uhm…sure, I guess.” Emma and I switched seats. “What?”
“Midnight Sonata. And that other song you play all the time.” I laughed.
“Canon? Okay.” I played Midnight Sonata first, then Canon. When I finished, Emma clapped profusely.
“YAY, MADDIE!” She kept clapping. “That was so good!”
I thanked Emma, and gathered my things to go. “I’ll see you next time, kay?” Emma nodded, and ran upstairs. She was back in a moment, thrusting an envelope in my hands.
“My parents say thank you!” She hugged me again before I left.
I trudged down the street. Emma was the fourth person I had that day. Luckily, I had no more clients the rest of the day. So, I was going home to get a few hours of sleep before going to work.
I stumbled into the house, and hauled up the stairs. It smelled like cookies and other pastries. Mom would have company later on. Hopefully, I’d be at work. Maybe I would take The Twins with me. Or send them to Isaac’s café. It wouldn’t be the first time, and the owners don’t mind, as long as they don’t make a ruckus.
I went to my room, hardly closed the door, and collapsed onto my bed, shoes still on. Sweet sleep, I surrender, I thought.

..::Ħ::..

“Maddie! Maddie! Wake up!”
I jolted upright, looked at my watch. “Jesus Christ, I’m late!”
“That’s what I was going to say! I was going to say ‘Maddie! You’re late for work!’” Alex followed me out of my room and down the stairs. “There’s company, by the way. Can Olive and I come with you?”
Olive was magically at the bottom of the stairs.
“Sure. But I’m leaving like”—I glanced at my watch—“now. And you guys don’t have shoes on.” I grabbed a jacket from the front hall, and ran to find Mom. She was in the living room, surrounded by a bunch of other people.
“Can I borrow the car?” I asked. “I’m late for work, and I need to get there, like, now.”
“Go ahead, Maddie. Don’t let anything happen to it. Keys are on the counter,” she said dismissively.
“Thanks, Mom.” I kissed her cheek before going to get the keys.
Alex and Oliver were already waiting by the car. I unlocked the doors for them, and ran around to the other side.
Start car.
Seatbelt.
Drive to work.
“Okay, guys, let’s go!” I said, parking, turning off, and flying out of the car. I ran in ahead of The Twins.
“Good evening, Claude. Where’s Madame?” I asked, checking the time and recording it on my time sheet. Ten minutes late.
“Madame is in the back, checking inventory. Why are you late today, Maddeline?” Claude answered.
“I overslept. There were four clients, two guitar and two piano. When I came home, I went to bed so I could work. But then, y’know,” I explained. Claude patted my shoulder.
“Try not to let it happen again,” he said.
Claude and Madame (Madame isn’t her actual name) are the couple I work for at the music shop. They’re French. I’ve worked for them two years, and every so often they’ll give me an instrument; usually a guitar or viola. Claude and Madame aren’t too old. I know Claude is in his sixties. And Madame is younger than he is, so I’ve figured she’s in her early sixties or fifties. They’re both tall and lean, with completely silver hair. Claude’s mustache is a shade or two darker than his hair. Claude and Madame are such awesome people, and I hope they don’t retire anytime soon.
“Would you be a doll and help Madame in the back?”
“Of course, Claude.” I went and fixed my nametag on and put on my red, red lipstick, part of policy. Madame wanted us to look like French maids. Or, rather, me, and the boy named Frederick who came in occasionally. He didn’t have to wear lipstick. Just a white shirt and black pants. I got to wear the same thing, unless I felt like a skirt that day.
I went back to the inventory room. “Madame?”
She straightened up from counting violin strings. “Ah, Maddeline! Look! You wear a skirt today! How wonderful!” she exclaimed, approaching quickly to embrace me tightly.
“You are wearing a skirt today,” I said. From time to time, I correct Madame’s English, because she never quite got the hang of it.
“Nonsense!” She waved her hand in a dismissive way.
“Ah!” A thrilled shout from the front. I hurried back, because Madame didn’t seem to hear it.
“Your small brothers!” Claude exclaimed, hugging each one. Alex enthusiastically hugged him back. “Alexander and Oliver! How charming! How is your mummy doing?” Alex gave two thumbs up, and Oliver a thumb pointing to the side. “Well! It evens out to a pretty well, it seems! Would you boys like some candy?”
Alex nodded eagerly, and Oliver looked to me for confirmation first. I nodded at him, and Oliver smiled pleasantly at Claude. He ran around the counter and pulled a jar from a high shelf. He held it in front of the boys.
“Take your pick,” he said, “But choose wisely! This is your only candy of the day.” Oliver immediately chose. It was his favourite, the orange soda flavour. Alex had a harder time choosing, as always. Oliver looked up at Claude, and he nodded. Oliver walked down the hallway.
“Madame,” he called. “Madame, it is Oliver. Where are you?”
I knew that they’d found each other when I heard another delighted squeal, followed by a chorus of compliments. After Alex chose his candy and when he found Madame, it was similar.
“So, Claude,” I started, “when do you think I can leave?” He laughed, and I frowned.
“Oh, Maddeline. You try this every time someone comes in to help! You have to stay for the hours you signed up for! And ten extra minutes, also,” Claude replied. I sighed heavily, leaning down on the counter.
“Claude…you are so unfair.”
“You will get over it, Maddeline”—the bell over the door rang, signaling someone had entered the store—“Besides, you have customers to take care of. Straighten up!” Claude stalked out of the room and down the hallway with everyone else. I pulled myself together; only to find someone I least expected to be there.
“Isaac! What are you doing here?” I exclaimed.
He shrugged. “I don’t work a shift tonight, and I needed something to do, and I found Zach ol’ buddy walking randomly around, so I made him come with me, and here we are. Tada,” he explained grandly, sweeping his arms around to show where “here” was.
Zachary waved. “Hi, Maddie.”
“Hello, Zachary. What can I help you guys with, nonetheless?”
“We need something to do,” Isaac chimed.
“There’s work in the back, if you want to do that. Moving boxes, taking inventory.”
“OW, MY FOOT! OLIIIIIVE!”
“Sorry, Alex! Don’t be a baby!”
“I see your brothers are here,” Zachary said.
“My mom is having a dinner party. I didn’t want to leave them home with a bunch of giggling women around,” I answered.
“We’ll pass on the work,” Isaac said. “Uhm. You guys still have those notebooks?” I pointed to the left.
“Over there. And if there aren’t any, I’ll get some from the back.”
“There aren’t any!” I sighed.
“Let’s go, Isaac.” I tugged him by his sleeve to the back with me. “How’s Zachary doing?”
“Since yesterday? Better.”
Zachary’s boyfriend dumped him. For a girl. Zachary is gay, obviously. And he’s my best friend next to Isaac. He probably can be more feminine than I can. I thought that he was gay, when I first met him when I was fourteen. My gaydar (gay radar) was going off like crazy, but I ignored it because he didn’t act gay. He even had a girlfriend.
Then, while he was helping me with homework at a playground, this highly attractive guy ran by. Of course, I said something about it, probably like ‘Me. Him. In bed. Right now. Heck. Yes.’ And Zachary agreed. He was horrified that he let me know, but I was okay with it. I laughed when he agreed.
“We should take him to do something,” I suggested.
“Something like what?” Isaac asked.
“Playground? You know what they say about us emo kids.”
“They love their playgrounds.”
“I wanna swing.”
“When are you out of work?” I glanced at my watch.
“Three hours.”
“That’s so-o far away!” I hoisted a stack of notebooks up on my hip.
“Help in the back. Claude and Madame will appreciate it.”
“I hate lifting boxes.” I punched Isaac in his arm and shook my head, my hair falling around my shoulders.
“Help me stock, then,” I said.
“Okay!”

..::Ħ::..

Two and half hours later, Alex and Oliver had fallen asleep, sprawled across the floor. Isaac and I had almost the entire store stocked, and Zachary was busy dusting. Claude and Madame had left an hour ago, telling to make sure that I locked up when I was done.
“What’s left?” Isaac asked. I ran down a checklist Claude had put together for me. Mouthpieces? Check. Uhm…piano wire? No. Check. I continued to look over the list.
“Oh! The only thing left are the bows for cellos and basses,” I said. I woke Alex and told him to run to the back again for me one more time. He sleepily plodded to storage and came back with an armful of each type of bow. “Thank you, Alex.” He nodded and fell back down again, almost instantly asleep.
“I’ll take them!” Zachary volunteered. I handed the bows to him. “Where do they go?”
“Right there, next to the strings,” I said. He hung them up. “All done! Let’s go!”
“Go where?”
“Well, first, I have to take The Twins home. And change into pants.”
“Then?”
“Shh!”

..::Ħ::..

“Oh, hey guys.”
“Tye Dye! What are you doing here, man?”
“Just enjoying the weather.”
“Of course, of course.”
Zachary and I watched the exchange between Isaac and his best man.
“Anyway. I want to swing,” I said.
“Me too,” Zachary said. He stuck his hand out, and I twined my fingers with his as we skipped over to the swing set, making up a random tune to sing. “I want this one!” He let go of my hand to race ahead and jump a swing.
“That one is mine!”
“Too bad!” I took the one next to his—mine.
“Push me!” I demanded. Zachary huffed.
“I’m gay, Maddie. I’m all weak and stuff. So I can’t,” he protested.
“Not fair! Isaac!” I hollered. “Isaac! Come push me!” I kicked my feet. Isaac walked away from Tye Dye. “Yay!”
“You owe me for this,” he said, grabbing the chains of the swing and giving me the “underdog.”
“Me too!” Zachary squealed. Isaac gave him the same treatment, then hopped on a swing himself. Tye Dye joined us a moment later.
“I want to sing. Anyone else?” Isaac asked.
“Me me me me!” I offered. “THINGS THAT RHYME WITH ORANGE!”
“I LOVE THAT SONG!” Zachary screamed.
“Can we do Speak of the Devil afterward?” Tye Dye asked.
“Okay, fine,” Isaac agreed. “Gotta honour that old singer dude from A Day to Remember.”
“He was good.”
“I want to sing the singy parts!” Zachary and I claimed at the same time.
“I’ll scream,” Isaac said.
“I’ll make the frigging awesome beat,” Tye Dye declared.
We were all laughing ten minutes later. Somewhere in the middle, Zachary and I jumped off the swing and rolled for a moment before stopping. Isaac attempted to jump, too, but instead boarded the Fail Boat. Tye Dye coasted to a stop and hopped up gracefully.
We were in the grass, lying in a line, Zachary and Isaac in the middle.
“Blame it on the corporate skyscrapers in the clouds!” Zachary sang.
“But if it wasn’t for yooou we wouldn’t have all these multiple crowds!” I finished. We broke into another fit of laughter.
“You guys were like, made for each other,” Isaac commented. “Silly girls.”
“I’m hungry,” Tye Dye said. I sat up.
“So am I. Isaac, drive us somewhere.”
“Where?” he asked.
“Iono.”
“I want pizza. Or, Mexican. Oh! No! Sushi!” Zachary exclaimed.
“Sushi it is!” I declared, standing and pulling Isaac up. “Let’s go!” He stood, laughing, and I jumped on his back. “Onward!”
“Neeeiigh,” Isaac whinnied, doing his rendition of a gallop.
“Shotgun!” I cried. As soon as Isaac got to his car, I jumped off of his back, and claimed the front seat. Zachary and Tye Dye jumped in the back.
“Go go go!” Tye Dye yelled.
“Okay, okay! Let me start the car first!” Isaac yelled back, laughing.
I buckled my belt—the one that goes to my pants—into the car-thing as Isaac started his car.
“Do you think I’m safe like this?” I asked. Isaac looked down, and laughed.
“I guess so. But if you see police, pull your seatbelt around so it looks like you’re wearing the one provided. And if they pull us over, buckle it,” he said. I nodded obediently.
“Yessir!”

..::Ħ::..

“What the heck is a turkey doing in Rhode Island?”
“Someone’s pet?”
“It got lost.”
“People are getting ready for Thanksgiving early.”
We were all sitting in the sushi place when we saw a turkey dart across the street. A couple of cars swerved to avoid hitting it.
“Do you think it would mess up your car if you hit it?” Zachary, sitting across from me, asked.
“Probably,” Isaac and I answered at the same time. “We’ve gotta stop doing that.” Tye Dye laughed.
“Isaac!”
“Mad!”
“Sushi always tastes better at 10:30 in the PM.”
“We should stay over at someone’s house tonight,” Tye Dye suggested. We all thought it was a good idea, and tried to decide whose house. The group—there was the band, and then the group: me, Isaac, Tye Dye, and Zachary or Drew or both—had been to Tye Dye’s a couple weeks back, Isaac’s a month ago, and mine last week. The choice was to crash at Zachary’s.
“I haven’t stepped foot in your neighbourhood in three months,” Isaac claimed loudly.
“The last time I went, I was with Isaac,” I chimed in. I watched Isaac stuff a California roll into his mouth whole. Zachary swallowed.
“Okay. I just need to call Mom and make sure it’s all right with her,” he said, pulling his celly out of his pocket. I pulled mine out, too.
“My mom needs to know where I’ll be,” I said. I pushed the speed dial for home. “Hey, Mom? Is it all right if I stay at Zachary’s tonight? … Tye—Jake and Isaac will be there, too. … … Of course I’ll be home before the performance.” I laughed. “Sure thing, Mom. Love you, too.” I hung up.
“What was funny?” Isaac asked.
“Mom said to keep your hands off of me,” I relayed to Zachary. Everyone laughed.
“I’m not sure if I’ll be able to,” he answered, blinking at me. Zachary couldn’t wink. None of us are sure why, but he can’t wink.
“Let’s go now,” Tye Dye said. I quickly agreed, scooting out of the booth. Zachary and Isaac followed quickly, and I jumped on Isaac’s back again.
He paid at the counter—we all chipped in—with me still on his back.
“I don’t like walking,” I said. “It makes me feel short.”
“Maybe it’s because you are short,” Zachary interjected.
“Nobody asked for your two cents.” He laughed.
..::Ħ::..

I burrowed deeper under the blankets. “So warm.”
“Mad, you’re hogging them!”
“No I’m not!”
Because Zachary’s bed was large enough, and no one wanted to sleep on the floor, everyone climbed into his king sized bed. Not only was it huge, but it was also about a metre above the floor, and the mattress was super soft, so I sunk in a little trying to get across it. Zachary and Isaac called me a kitten, because of the way I crawled around, lifting my limbs high to make sure I covered ground.
Isaac scooted closer, and I hugged him tightly to me. “You’re freezing, Mad!”
“I know, I know. You’re warm. Oh so warm.” He slept in shorts and a light shirt. I had on a sweater and long pants and I was cold. The transition from warm summer days to cold-ish nights was too much for me.
Zachary spooned me from behind. “Maddie sandwich!” he declared.
Tye Dye was fast asleep on the other end of the bed, snoring softly. Isaac turned over so he was facing me, his chin resting on top of my head.
“Better?” he asked. I nodded.
“Why are boys so much warmer?” I felt Zachary shrug behind me.
“It’s a guy thing. Goodnight Maddie.” He yawned, and then I yawned, and Isaac yawned next. “Contagious.”
“Go to sleep, Mad,” he said. “We’ll keep you warm tonight.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I love Zachary! :D

Characters up for Zachary and Tye Dye up soon!