Status: Missed this?

Giving Up the World

Chapter 17

Frank
August of 1995
I was in that hospital for about 3 more days before they let me go. Mikey told me that my mom and dad had crept in while I slept sometimes. They wanted to see me but they knew it wasn't the best time to come when I was in a hospital bed. Although I think that's also the best time to come. They should be more worried than that. Do they even know what happened to me? Mikey might have told them. Maybe that's why they weren't questioning me and coming in while I slept.

It was now Friday. Tomorrow Mikey and his family were going to see their grandma. Everyone except Donald, his dad. I don't know why but he just wasn't going. My options on where I could go was back home or stay at Mikey's with his dad. I was a little skeptical on going home right after I had gotten out of the hospital. I still had gaze and stitches on my forehead and my lower chest was all wrapped up in some patch stuff so I couldn't really curl, bend, or hunch over. The doctors wanted to make sure that my ribs healed properly.

"Mikey!" I called as I laid on his bed. He told me I wasn't allowed to move 'cause of my condition. I was fine but Mikey insisted I stayed still and call for him when he needed something.

"Yeah?" He asked as he walked in.

"Can I please move? I'm bored. The doctor said I was allowed to move as long as I didn't push myself or do anything physical." I reminded him.

"No. I won't let you move." He smiled.

I rolled my eyes and sat up in the bed, feeling a little pain as I did so but getting over it as I stood up.

"Frank lay down!" He yelled.

"No. It's not like you can push me or hold me back to make me stay. That'd just make my condition even worse." I explained to him as he followed me out of his bedroom. He continued to tell me to go and lay down but I wouldn't. He was sort of a push over but it was only 'cause he couldn't really force me to do anything. "Mikey just stop trying. I'm not laying down until I want to go to bed." I chuckled.

We ended up in the kitchen where I pulled a coke out of the fridge. As I shut the door to fridge, Gerard was now standing in the door way to the kitchen looking directly at me.He had a look of sympathy on his face. He was sorry, I could tell that, but it was if he actually apologized that mattered.

"H-Hey Frank." Gerard stuttered. I nodded my head towards him as I slowly sat down in a chair across from Mikey at the table. Mikey was looking back and forth between Gerard and I. "How are you?" He asked, walking fully into the kitchen and finding something to eat.

"Fine, I guess." I muttered as I looked at Mikey who was pulling a confused look on his face.

Gerard came and sat next to me, making me a little nervous. I got that feeling a lot now actually. I was nervous around people. I was always making sure I was on guard. He made me so afraid. He made me feel pathetic and like a piece of shit. I felt like I couldn't even trust Mikey now. No one could be trusted now and it's all his fault.

"Hey Mikes, you think I could talk to Frank alone?" Gerard asked his brother.

Mikey looked at me for assurances. He looked at me to make sure I was okay by myself. I knew I wasn't but I told him to go anyways. I had to prove to myself that I wasn't afraid. That I didn't have to be afraid.

Mikey slowly left the room as Gerard turned to me.

"Ray said I broke three of your ribs... And you had to get stitches on your head." He, in a way, asked yet stated.

I nodded my head, "Y-Yeah."

Gerard sighed and looked down at the table, becoming so interested in the wood, "I am so sorry." He said slowly and I could've sworn I heard his voice crack as if he was crying. "I don't know what possessed me to do that to you." He added. Now I was positive that he was crying or at least he was trying to hold back his tears.

"Gerard?" I questioned, trying to get him to look at me. "Are you okay?" I asked, putting a hand on his back.

He quickly shot up and looked down at me, " I didn't come here for your comfort I came here to tell you that I'm sorry. Don't fucking touch me ever again." He spat before stalking off to his room.

Although he did yell at me, he apologized and I was content with that. I'm not sure I'll be able to trust anyone for awhile but at least he apologized. That was a step to somewhere.

Picking up my coke, I called for Mikey as I waited at the front door. Mikey came down the stairs from his room and looked at me questioningly.

"Planning on going somewhere Frank?" Mikey asked.

I nodded, "Yeah. I'm gonna go over to Annabell's house. I think I'll take her to the diner where my mom works so I can finally talk to my mom as well."

Mikey placed his hand over his chest in mock shock. "Are... Are you leaving me Frankie?" He ask with sarcasm dripping from his words.

I chuckled and nodded my head, "I'm sorry Mikey." I laughed, playing along to his "moving out" scene that we were acting out apparently. "I'll call you." I added as he, carefully, hugged me goodbye.

He chuckled, "Alright Frank. I'll see you."

With that I began to walk to Annabell's house.