Status: Missed this?

Giving Up the World

Chapter 20

Frank
September of 1995
August went by quickly, and now it's September. I've dubbed this month the worst month. Why? My parents are going to court, that's why. Today is actually the day they're going to court. While they're there, I'm staying with Mikey. I could've gone with them to court but I didn't want to. Why would I go if I'm completely against the whole situation?

The bad thing is that they both want custody of me. This is exactly what I didn't want to happen, my parents fighting over me. It pretty much makes me feel like I'm the cause of their problems. Like they're fighting over me.

To be honest, if I had to choose between my mom and dad, I'd choose my mom. Don't get me wrong, I love my dad but my mom was there for me more as a kid and as I grew up. I'd rather just see my dad on the weekends. I would live.

I'm at Mikey's house right now but he isn't here. It's a school day but my parents told me I didn't have to go if I didn't want to. I took that offer right away. I've just been watching TV all day. I feel out of place though, 'cause I'm in someone else's house. It'd be better if Mikey was here. He won't be here for another three hours though.

My ears perked up at the sound of the front door opening. I wondered who it could be. Donna, Mikey's mom, was home. Maybe it was Donald,

Just as I thought that, Gerard walked past the opening to the living room. He glanced at me for a minute but I don't think he really knew it was me. I turned back to the TV and as I did so, Gerard came back and just stared at me from the entrance of the living room. He had a confused look on his face as well.

"What? - Why are you in my house?" He asked as he stepped in a little further.

"My parents are getting a divorce today and they said I didn't have to go to school. My mom dropped me off here before she left to go to court." I explained.

Gerard nodded his head and walked into the living room, sitting down next to me. I was becoming a little nervous even though I knew now that he meant no harm.

"I'm sorry about your parents." He apologized.

I shrugged, "I'll get over it... Maybe." I whispered out my last word.

"Listen, I know we're not on the greatest terms right now but if you need anything you can come to me, alright?" He offered with a genuine smile.

I returned it, trusting in what he had said, "Alright. Thanks Gerard."

His smile still graced his face as he changed the subject, "So Mikey's birthday is coming up. You wanna help me plan it? Maybe we could get back to how we used to be before what I did to you while we're at it."

I nodded, "I'd love to."

"Good. Lets get started." He suggested as he stood up. I followed him down to his room and we sat at a table that was placed in his room. He pulled out some paper and two pencil's so we could write down some ideas.

"So is this going to be a regular party or a surprise party?" I asked.

Gerard shrugged, "What do you think he'd like?"

"Hmm," I thought for a moment before declaring that we throw him a surprise party.

"Alright, his birthday is the tenth so we'll have the party on the 14th since that's the weekend." Gerard established.

"Lets have it at my house. That way he won't really find out or stumble upon any decorations." I suggested.

"Alright. At your house." Gerard agreed. "Cool. I guess I'll ask Sally or Annabell who to invite since you don't go to their school."

I chuckled and nodded, "That would be a good idea."

"Great so everything is pretty much settled for now." Gerard declared.

I nodded in agreement. After we hid all the party ideas, Gerard and I sat in his room watching TV. For once in a long time, I felt comfortable around Gerard.