Status: Missed this?

Giving Up the World

Chapter 4

Frank
July of 1995
The next morning my mom woke me up, telling me I had to since it was almost one. I sleep in late. It's just what I do. No matter how early I sleep, I always wake up at some ridiculous time in the afternoon. Reluctantly I rolled out of bed and made my way down stairs. Mikey was there and guess who he brought. Annabell. Yay. Note the sarcasm in that last thought. Why would he bring her to my house? Especially when I just woke up! I looked down at myself and almost pissed my self. I was only wearing a white t-shirt and boxers.

"Nice." Mikey laughed, referring to my appearance.

I stuck my tongue out at him like the immature fourteen year old I am, "I don't enjoy sleeping in skinnies." I protested.

"Frank, you were wearing shorts yesterday." Mikey laughed, making me look like a bigger fool.

"Shut up." I groaned as I rolled my eyes.

I walked into the kitchen, Mikey and Annabell following me, "Hey 'Ma. Did you make pancakes?" I asked.

"Yes they're in the microwave." She answered. She was a little too polite if you ask me.

"Sweet. You guys want some pancakes?" I asked, taking them out of the microwave.

"Sure." Mikey shrugged, sitting at the table.

"Yeah." Annabell smiled, sitting next to Mikey.

My mom's head popped up from washing the dishes. She turned around and looked at the table, starring at Annabell. I never told her about Annabell yet. My dad was home last night, not my mom. My dad works mornings and my mom works nights.

"Who's this?" My mom asked me.

"This is Annabell. She moved in down the street yesterday." I explained.

"You can call me Anne." She smiled at my mom before looking over at me and shaking her heard and laughing a little.

"Well it's nice to meet you." My mom smiled. She looked over at me and shook her head, "Put some clothes on."

"I'm comfortable like this, thank you." I retorted before sitting down and serving Mikey and Annabell pancakes, as well as myself.

Mikey, Annabell, and I ate our breakfast and talked a little. When we had finished we went up to my room so I could change. My room was a disaster. I really didn't want Annabell to see but I'm getting used to her being around. I've stopped stuttering if you haven't noticed. But my heart still beats faster when I'm around her.

"So what're we doing today?" I asked as I pulled some jeans off the ground. I went over to my dresser and pulled out some boxers and socks as well. Those were the only things that had to be clean if I wore them. Everything else could be off the ground.

Mikey shrugged, "Don't know. You want to go to the water park?" Mikey asked as I pulled on a different shirt.

"The water park?" I asked with a groan. He knows I don't like water.

Mikey chuckled, "Yeah shorty, the water park. It'll be fun." Mikey cheered.

I went into my bathroom and changed my boxers and put on my jeans before returning to my bedroom to answer Mikey's question. I really didn't like the water park. It was fun but I always feel like I'm going to drown 'cause I'm so damn short. It's just a little fear.

I sighed and sat down next to Mikey and Annabell on the bed. I turned towards Annabell and she smiled at me, "Do you want to go to the water park?" I asked.

"That'd be fun-"

"Majority rules, get your trunks!" Mikey called before Annabell even finished. He jumped up and gave a high five to Annabell in excitement, "Well go on. Go get your trunks." Mikey urged me, "We'll stop at our houses on the way there." Mikey explained.

I grabbed a towel and my trunks before we all headed downstairs. I told my mom where we were going, getting some money from her before we went over to Mikey's house since it was closer. He practically sprinted into his house and grabbed what he needed. Annabell and I didn't even get inside, he was so quick. He was excited. He loves the water park for some reason. Mikey's strange. He likes the water park but he doesn't like the ocean. Weird kid.

Soon we all had our bathing suits and towels and we were off to the water park. It was just a couple blocks away. Mikes and I always walked to it at least five times in the summer. I'd only give in five times.

"Wow." Annabell smiled, "For a small unknown town this is an amazing water park."

"Yeah. I think that this is what our town spent all it's money on." Mikey stated, "It was a good choice." He added.

I laughed at him as we all walked into the water park. We all got changed into our suits and met up at this place called The Lagoon. It was just a pool but it was like the main pool there. I was becoming more nervous now though. I don't have a shirt on and I like my shirt on. I'm not self-conscious it's just that I don't really enjoy my shirt being off my body. There's a reason I bought the shirt.

"Mikey why would you wear those trunks?" I asked as we waited for Annabell.

"'Cause Batman kicks ass." He stated like it was the most obvious thing on the face of the Earth. Yes, Batman does kick ass but it's just not normal for a 14 year old boy to be wearing Batman trunks.

I just rolled my eyes and looked towards the changing room. Annabell was just walking out and she looked amazing. Alright I need to calm down. Take a couple breaths. I'll be good. She was so gorgeous though. Her long brown hair hung past her shoulders, contrasting with her somewhat pale skin. She was basketball shorts but she had a bikini top on. It was black, green, and grey. It was mainly black and had grey and green stripes actually. Her shorts were just black with two lines of white on both sides them.

"Frank. Frank!" Mikey yelled, elbowing me in the gut.

I clutched my stomach and leaned over a little, "Ow." I huffed. It knocked the wind out of me.

"Well stop staring you creep." Mikey muttered, pulling me up so I was standing up right.

Annabell walked over and smiled at as, "Do you enjoy hitting each other?" She asked.

"No Frank was just making fun of my Batman trunks so I hit him." Mikey explained.

"Oh," She chuckled, "Well where do you want to go first?" She asked.

I was now thinking that the water park was my new favorite place. I was definitely coming here with her more often.