Status: Missed this?

Giving Up the World

Chapter 5

Frank
July of 1995
The first place we went was the wave pool. That place is amazing. I love body surfing in it. Sure Jersey has a shore but Belleville isn't exactly close to it. Maybe that's why we have an amazing water park. Who knows. So that was the first place we went. Mikey was having a blast there. He loves the wave pool. Annabell seemed to like it as well.

We were now at the Cove. If you don't know what a Cove is, it's like this circular beach/pool but it has an opening to a bigger body of water. The Cove had an opening to the Lazy River. The Cove is amazing though. In the water are tables and chairs. Its kind of like a food court in the water just without the food. You're allowed drinks in the Cove though.

Mikey, Annabell, and I were all sitting at a table drinking some coke together and just talking. We were having a really good time. This was only the second day I had met Annabell and she was already one of my best friends.

"You know what time it is?" Mikey asked to us in general.

I chuckled and shook my head, "I can't exactly have my cell phone in the pool Mikes."

"Well maybe you had a watch, I don't know." Mikey defended himself, throwing his hands up in defense to make it more dramatic.

"Mikey you've known me since the second grade, I do not wear or even own a watch." I laughed.

"Well then." Mikey said, getting off his chair, "I'll be back. Gerard wanted me to call him at a certain time but since someone doesn't have a watch, I guess I'll have to get up and go check." Mikey explained.

I just shook my head as he swam away. I turned back to the table and noticed that Annabell and I were once again alone together. I swear to you Mikey is setting me up. I know I'm crushing on her and all but does he really think that I'm gonna make a move right now? It's been two days! I can't ask her out yet. Mikey's insane.

"So, Annabell," I smiled as I said her entire name. She looked at me and shook her head, blushing a little, "I know we're both in high school but what grade are you in?" I asked.

"Sophomore." She answered, "And you?"

"Sophomore. Mikey's a Junior." I explained.

Her eyes got a little bigger in shock, "Really? Wow. He's so immature I thought he'd be in our grade... Or a freshman." She giggled.

"Yeah we all think he's immature." I chuckled.

"How about Ray and Gerard, how old are they?" She asked.

"Oh they're both in their second year of college... They're also immature." I stated.

Annabell smiled, showing off her teeth, "So we're the babies in the group?" She asked.

"Yup! Don't you feel young?" I laughed.

She smiled, "I thought I was young but okay." She laughed.

I was about to say something when I was pulled under the water. I freaked out. I do not like water and this is exactly why. Let me just tell you, I know that Mikey's the one that is dunking me under the water right now but I do not care. I do not like getting pushed under the water. Because I was having a panic attack, I was losing air fast. Mikey finally let me up and I was about to cry.

"What the fuck is your problem!?" I yelled, panting.

Mikey's laugh died down, "It was a joke."

"Yeah but you fucking know I don't like water! You know! Why the hell would you do that?!" I yelled. I didn't even bother staying to hear what he had to say. I got out of the pool, grabbed my towel and sat on a chair out of the water.

Mikey and Annabell came up to me but I didn't bother looking at them. I just looked straight ahead, not wanting to make eye contact. Mikey pulled up a chair right in front of me though and starred at me. It was annoying. Annabell just stood there awkwardly, not really knowing what to do with herself. I kind of felt bad 'cause I was throwing a fit but I don't like water.

"Frank I'm sorry."

"Fuck off." I muttered, hiding my face in the towel.

"Frank it was a joke, I'm sorry." Mikey tried again.

"Leave me alone."

Mikey groaned and I bet he rolled his eyes too, "Fine. Be a baby and cry about it."

I heard him move the chair and then his footsteps fading away. After I was sure that he was gone, I poked my head out from the towel. He had really left. I pulled the towel off of my head completely. It was then that I realized that Annabell was still standing there looking at me.

"You're really afraid of the water?" She asked, sitting on the edge of the beach chair I was sitting on. I blushed and nodded my head, "Is there a reason or are you just afraid?" She asked.

I shrugged and leaned back on the chair, "It's just the whole concept of not being able to breath scares me. Like if someone were to put a bag over my head I'd definitely freak out... It's just water acts like your friend and when you least expect it, it takes your life."

Annabell laughed, "Wow. That was deep Frank. But you shouldn't really be afraid. I mean, I don't want to drown either but I still go in." She shrugged, "Come on." She said, getting up and holding out her hands for me to grab, "I'll try to make you less afraid."

I furrowed my eyebrows and looked at her suspiciously, "What're you planning on doing? Holding me under the water?"

She chuckled and shook her head, "No. Just come on." She said, grabbing my hands and pulling me into the water. Holy shit, she was holding my hands. Once the water was at our stomaches, she stopped and looked at me, "Alright. We're going to see who can hold their breath longer." She smiled.

"You really want me to die... Don't you." I said in all sarcasm.

She laughed and shook her head, "Come on. You can go up anytime. Ready?" I shook my head, "Good lets go."

For some reason my body decided that when she went under, I went under. I starred at her, holding my breath. She was still holding my hands too. It was probably just for comfort though. We stayed under the water for some time until I decided that I had, had enough. I pushed up to the surface and took a deep breath. Soon Annabell was right next to me smiling.

"See, that wasn't so bad." She shrugged.

"I-I guess not." I stuttered. "I still don't want to drown though." I laughed.

She rolled her eyes and pulled me over to the lazy river. We got a raft and laid in them as we drifted in the river. I don't know where Mikey went but at the same time, I really didn't care. I was with Annabell and that's all that mattered at the moment.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry about the long chapters.