Status: Missed this?

Giving Up the World

Chapter 8

Frank
July of 1995
The next morning I woke up to no one in the tent except Annabell and myself. I began to wonder where everyone had gone. It was probably noon knowing how I always sleep in. Maybe Annabell and I have that in common. Sleeping in really late. Mikey hates that about me. He says half of my day is wasted on sleeping. Sleeping is amazing!

"Your awake." Annabell smiled as she sat up. I smiled and nodded, "You sleep for the longest time." She commented as I sat up as well.

I yawned and stretched my arms, "I know. Wait... Did you just lay here until I woke up?" I asked, furrowing my eyebrows. She nodded and blushed as I chuckled. "Aw," I cooed and pulled her into hug, "That was nice."

She shrugged as we parted. We got out of our sleeping bags and made our way into the house. Everyone was watching TV while eating breakfast. Annabell and I made ourselves some cereal before we joined the group in watching cartoons. This is also why 99% of our group is immature. The 1% that makes us mature is that we're all in school.

After sitting there for sometime, Annabell and Sally said they had to go home. I guess they had to be home before 2. After they left, I went and put my bowl in the kitchen sink. When I turned around all the guys were standing there with smiles on their faces. I blushed as my lips curved into a smile.

"Someones got a girlfriend!" Gerard spoke in a sing-song voice.

I chuckled and shook my head, "She's not my girlfriend."

"Oh but she soon will be Mr. Flirt." Gerard smiled in a weird seductive way which made me really uncomfortable.

"Yeah dude. You should ask her out!" Mikey pressed.

I shook my head again, "No. Not yet." I sighed and ran my hand through my hair, "I'm gonna go home and change. I'll see you guys later." I said, making my way out of the kitchen.

"Wait!" Mikey called, walking after me, "Go get Sally and Annabell."

"Um, alright." I shrugged as I walked out of the house.

I made my way across the street and noticed that both of my parents were still home. Usually my mom would be gone by now. She works at some diner in the city and she works there from 2 to about 9. I feel bad for her. As I neared the door to my house I heard shouting. They were fighting? I don't think I've ever heard them fight.

Bravely, I made my way into the house. The noise just got louder though. It made me really upset to hear them yelling at each other like that. I attempted to ignore it as I changed my clothes but I couldn't. They wouldn't stop and I had, had enough of it.

I walked to my parents room and opened the door, not bothering to knock. "SHUT UP!!!" I yelled at the top of my lungs before slamming the door shut and walking away, The whole house fell silent and I'm pretty sure my parents were in shock. The probably didn't even hear me come in so they didn't expect me to come yell at them.

I shoved my hands into my pockets as I made my way to Annabell's and Sally's house. My mood was just brought down by my parents. It really got to me, them fighting. Like I said, they had never fought before and kind of made me scared. What if they got a divorce? Who would I live with?

I shook off all my thoughts as I rang to door bell to Annabell's house. A couple seconds later a little boy, about 5 years old, answered the door with part of a blanket in his mouth. He just starred at me with his big brown eyes.

"Hey. Is Annabell home?" I asked with a smile on my face.

He nodded and took hold of one my fingers. He pulled me into the house and guided me up the stairs. He brought me to a door which I assumed was Annabell's. The little boy let go of my finger and knocked Annabell's door.

"What is it Benji?" Annabell called from the other side of the door. Benji, which I'm assuming is the little boy, knocked on the door again, harder this time, "Benji wha-" Annabell stopped as she opened the door and saw me standing next to her brother. She blushed before telling her brother to go to his room, "Sorry." She smiled, biting her lip.

I shrugged and smiled, "It's alright. Are you allowed to come and hang out now? Mikey wanted me to come get you and Sally."

"Yeah, let's go." She smiled.

She grabbed her coat off her bed before we made our way out of her house. We walked the short distance to Sally's house and knocked on her door. Her dad answered the door and told us that she'd be out in about an hour 'cause she was taking shower. Annabell and I nodded and then took off towards Mikey's house.

"Is something wrong Frank?" Annabell asked as we walked, breaking the silence that was around us.

I pulled my gaze from the ground to her eyes and shrugged, "I'm fine. Why?" I asked. It was sort of a lie. I was thinking of my parents and I was still upset.

"You're quieter." She stated, grabbing my arm and stopping me from walking.

I faced her and sighed, "My parents were fighting when I got home today."

Annabell shrugged, "My parents fight all the time."

"You don't get it. They never fight Annabell. Not ever. I've never heard them yell at each other like that... It upset me." I spoke out my last sentence softly.

"Oh..." Annabell quietly spoke, "I'm sorry."

She looked to the ground for a minute before looking back up at me. She moved closer to me and wrapped her arms around my neck. Instinctively, I wrapped my arms around her waist and rested my head on her shoulder. A tear escaped my eye and I sniffled a little. Wow that's a little embarrassing. I was crying. I couldn't help it though. The reality of what could happen if they split really upset me.