Status: Next Update: 10/15/11

Better Sorry Than Safe

Prologue

“I’m sorry Isabelle,” His thumb caressed her cheek as he looked at her, “but you can’t have it both ways. It’s one way or the other. You can’t have us both and I’m pretty sure that your mind is made up.” He glanced at the painful reminder quickly.

“Please don’t say things like that.” Her voice betrayed her facade of being calm and detached from the feelings she’d lied to herself about.

“Goodbye Isabelle,” He removed his hand from her cheek and let it fall numbly to his side before turning and walking towards the door, trying not to look back at her, “I’ve always loved you and I always will.” The whisper wasn’t meant to be heard but she had heard it. Before she could respond the door was opened and then clicked closed behind him.

With a sigh she turned around, a folded white piece of paper with her name written on it catching her eye. She took it gently in her hands and just held it for a minute. She didn’t open it at first; she didn’t even look at it. Finally, several minutes later, she unfolded it.

Isabelle stood in the middle of the hotel room, tears running down her cheeks as she read the note. Feelings she’d long ago suppressed surfaced as she could hear his voice inside her head as she read the note he’d left. The empty room allowed her to break down more thoroughly; something she should have done years ago.

Now it was too late to do anything. He was gone, she’d managed to alienate the one person she needed most in a matter of a merely a week. Now she was left there exactly how she’d wanted to avoid. She’d run away to her sanctuary years ago just so she could avoid this. Now it was simply unavoidable.

Everything in her world was destroyed. She used to know what she wanted, where she wanted to be. Everything had been so clear to her less than a month ago. Now nothing was so clear, it didn’t seem easy.

Could she stay where she was safe? With the guy that she obviously loved but wasn’t in love with, the safe one? Could she forget what her heart wanted and make herself not love him anymore? Would she be able to make the choice that was safe? Or would she make the choice that would make her happy?
♠ ♠ ♠
So I've been playing around with this idea for a few months and after finishing six complete chapters I decided to post it. I'm not sure that it will stay up on the site, depending on how neglected it gets if I need to focus on my other two active stories. I do have a good feeling about it though so I'm going to give it a shot!