Status: Active so far. I would love comments.

Boy

holding hands

It's quiet in the kitchen that morning. With Tristan making coffee and Adam just sitting at the table, waiting for his coffee, things were silent save for the coffee maker making noise and Adam sneezing a couple of times.

Yawning, Adam folds his arms on the table, resting his head in them seconds later.

'Sleep okay?” Tristan glances over her shoulders, furrowing her brow. Eying her brother, she wonders if he even slept at all, noticing his messy hair and pale appearance.

“Hm.”

That's what she thought. Rolling her baby blues, she turns back to the coffee maker, tapping her fingers on the counter as she waits.

The more she waits, the more she thinks of their mom, she remembers her making coffee every morning. She remembers her saying how no one should talk to her before her morning coffee. And Tristan has to bite her tongue and swallow quickly before sniffing pathetically.

Adam turns his head when he smells the coffee brewing, eying the machine as it drips coffee into the pot. He turns his attention to look out of the kitchen window, watching as his neighbors work on the yard despite the temperature. “You know, I thought I would hate coffee after working at Starbucks.” And he remembers the awful people and the stench of old coffee grounds. Shaking his head, he stands from the chair, and gets a coffee cup from the cabinet.

Tristan pulls her bangs back behind her ear, getting herself a cup, trying to avoid bumping into him. She waits as he pours his coffee, and instead of putting anything in it, he just takes it as it is. "How can you drink it black?” She makes a face, mixing coffee creamer into hers.

“At least I don't add tons of sugar.” Making a face, he eyes the sugar as she pours it. “Honestly, I won't be surprised if you get diabetes.”

Shrugging her shoulders, she puts the sugar away in the cabinet. She sips her coffee hesitantly, making sure it's the right temperature.

“Is Dad awake yet?”

Adam shrugs, stirring his coffee with his forefinger. “I haven't seen him this morning, so probably not.”

Yet, as soon as Adam speaks, Eber walks in, his blue robe hanging loosely around him as he heads for the coffee pot right away.

“Morning, Dad.” Adam watches the man pour himself a cup.

Before he sits down at the table, he grabs the morning newspaper, opens it up and mutters something under his breath - probably something about football.

“Morning, kids.”

It's uncomfortable to say the least, and Tristan just eyes her coffee, trying to ignore how quiet it is. Is it always going to be this awkward now? She's just about to pour herself some Lucky Charms when Adams sets down his cup with a clank.

“I'm going back to LA tonight.”

Tristan freezes, totally not expecting it would be so soon. She looks down, taking a deep breath, trying to stay calm. Eber only clears his throat, setting his own cup down on the table, slowly folding up the newspaper, setting it by his cup.

The boy inhales sharply, wondering if it's too soon after their mom's death. He looks down at his hands, wringing his fingers together stressfully. “My manager called and apparently he wants me to go to an awards show tomorrow night,” he pauses, looking up at his dad, “I think it's time I go back anyway.”

Tristan doesn't say anything, but she goes back to pouring herself some cereal.

“I think I need some time to myself anyway,” Eber takes a deep breath, letting it out slowly. “Maybe Tristan could go with you?”

She almost chokes on a marshmallow, and with widened eyes, she looks between the two.

“Um, sure, I guess.” Adam bites his tongue, remaining cool in his dad's presence.

“Well, that's good to hear.” And he goes back to slurping his coffee, unfolding the newspaper.

The blonde breathes, sets her uneaten cereal on the counter, and walks out of the room, “I guess I'll go pack then.” Eber just nods, continuing to read the newspaper spread out in his hands.

Tristan closes the door behind her when she walks into her room. She blinks, as if she's in shock. She's never been out of the state before and even though this came at the last minute, she already feels excited.

Adam sighs heavily, closing his eyes. That wasn't what he was expecting, it caught him off guard and now that it's sinking in, he gets frustrated. That's not what he wanted at all, he was expecting to go back to LA, go back to his home, and attend events and perform shows like before. Narrowing his eyes, he stands up quickly and walks out of the room with a huff.

By the afternoon, Tristan's already packed, her tote hanging from one arm and her suitcase in her hand. She only waits for Adam and her dad, sighing as time passes. She snorts when Adam finally walks out of the bathroom. “Finally. It took you long enough.” Rolling his eyes, he only grunts, picking up his suitcase.

And as the two wait for Eber, they stand there, shifting from foot to foot, eying the clock on the wall. And when Eber walks in the room, the two are still standing beside each other, clenching their bags impatiently.

“Come on Dad.” Tristan rolls her eyes, watching as he slows his pace to get his mug and fill it with some more coffee. When she huffs, her dad only laughs and shakes his head.

“Fine, fine. I'm coming.”

Once they get the house locked, they put their things in the trunk of the car, hopping in after. And when they're on the road to the airport, Tristan and Adam turn on their ipod, leaving Eber fiddling with the radio.

The ride is long and somewhere during it, Tristan doses off, waking up a few times when the car stops at a red light or hits a hard bump in the road. But she snaps awake when someone sharply nudges her shoulder a few times. She stares at Adam, covering her mouth when she yawns.

“What?”

“We're here.”

“Oh.” Quickly slipping out of the back seat, she grabs her suitcase from out of the trunk, hurrying up after her dad and Adam.

When they stop walking, Tristan eyes the people around her. They're either talking on their phones, asleep, or hurrying passed. She suddenly gets nauseated, either from excitement or nervousness. She closes her eyes for a brief moment, wondering what it'll be like on the plane.

“There's your plane,” Eber looks up at the highlighted board, nodding his head when he sees their plane number light up. “It's going in a few minutes.” Grinning, he holds open his arms. “See ya kids.”

They both smile when they hug him, and when he ruffles their hair, they both pull back and narrow their eyes at him. Laughing, he shoos them off. “Keep your sister out of trouble!” Adam quickly grabs Tristan's hand afterward.
♠ ♠ ♠
First, I'd like to say thank you to Pam Halpert and Aelf for looking for this story and pointing out what was wrong. Go read their stories, they're beautifully written and you won't be disappointed.

So, I fixed the mistakes on this chapter and chapter one, so hopefully there's nothing wrong, but if I missed something - because it's late right now and I can't think straight - please point it out. I would like to know what you all think of this so far, I have big plans for this even though it's going to be five chapters or so. Enjoy.