Status: Progressing

Zombies in Wiard Howlam School!

Chapter 1

For reasons I cannot fathom, I never once thought (or even imagined) that I would be climbing up a rusty old pipe, desperately trying to escape the clutches of my now dead, rotting maths teacher.
If you’d walked up to me a few weeks earlier and told me I’d be locked up in school, fighting my life against the living dead (aka Zombies), I would have laughed in your face, mentally categorized you as a spaz and gone on with my boring school life.
But here I am; shimmying up the aforementioned pipe, now creaking horrifically under my weight and threatening to collapse at any given moment, whilst a zombie-fied teacher, ironically called Mr Brains, is hot on my tail...
Maybe I should start from the beginning and explain a bit; it might make a bit more sense. I’ll start from the day all hell broke loose in this school; Wiard Howlam School.

It started out as your average school day. Kids messing around, teachers giving long and tiresome lectures that nobody really cared about, groans in news of a 5 page worth of coursework that needs to be handed in the next day (little did we know that coursework would be the last things on our minds by the end of the day...if we still had our minds that is). A normal day, I suppose.
It was 3rd period and I was sitting in Science, my book open in front of me with its pages lacking the notes I was supposed to be taking. I had my hand on my cheek and was gazing off into the distance, staring at nowhere in particular, with the end of my pen between my teeth. Obviously, I was daydreaming, something I found myself doing a lot in school time. You couldn’t blame me- it was school for goodness sake.
Soon, I became slightly aware that something was poking my arm. I decided to ignore it, until my name was spoken in a hushed yet irritated tone.
“Roooxy, I’m bored”
Turning my head and brushing my dark brown hair out of my eyes, I faced my friend; Jayson Irving. He had one arm resting on the desk, tucked under his chin, whilst the other was outstretched, a small purple ruler clutched in his hand; he’d been using it to prod my arm.
Jayson had light brown medium lengthed hair, with blue eyes that were just lightly covered by his fringe.
Rolling my eyes, I let out a sigh and looked around the room for something to do. My hazel eyes dropped down to the desk, lighting up with an idea. Not necessarily a good one, mind you.
I took my flimsy green rubber out of my pencil case, and began to tear it into little pieces, sawing them with Jayson’s ruler to make the pieces smaller.
Jayson gave me a questionable look, raising one eyebrow when I divided the pile of rubber into two, and pushed one batch towards him.
The only response I gave was a smirk, as I picked up one of the pieces and turned towards the white board.
Our current teacher was Mr Brussels, who to be honest, wasn’t that great of a teacher. I waited till he had finished talking to the rest of the class (something about electrolysis or whatever, I wasn’t really paying attention to begin with) and turned to write something for us to copy off the board.
I narrowed my eyes; this was my chance! I flicked the little piece of rubber in my hand to his general direction and it soared across the room, missing his hand by an inch.
He spun around, his forehead wrinkled with frustration, his eyes darted around the room searching for the rebel who had thrown the rubber (which happened to be little ol’ me).
I pretended to be copying out the notes, scribbling across my page as if I were actually writing, when really I was just making a squiggly mess. Jayson was doing the same, but smirking to himself, shaking a little; trying to contain his laughter.
Luckily, Mr Brussels didn’t notice, so he settled for scolding the mystery person who had done the utterly terrible deed. If he caught them they’d be in deep trouble.
“Your turn,” I whispered to Jayson, softly pushing his arm towards his pile of rubber shavings.
He picked a piece off the top, rolled it between his middle finger and thumb as he waited for the right moment. I was grinning like a mad child, anticipating the next move.
To be honest, we’re really quite immature, seeing as something so trivial brings us this much enjoyment. Or maybe we’ve just sunk that low, I don’t know.
As soon as Mr Brussels turned back to the board, Jayson absolutely lobbed the rubber across the room.
And to our amusement, it hit Mr Brussels square in the middle of his head.
He whipped around, and this time his face was as bright as a tomato and his eyes were narrowed in an extremely pissed off glare. What made it all the funnier was how his nostrils had begun to flare and his ears were turning even redder than his face.
We were doing so well. That was until we shared that glance you exchange with your friends in the worst of situations; we burst out laughing, clutching our desks and tummies as stitches made themselves in our stomachs.
The result of our misbehaviour and rebellious actions was being sent outside, along with a lunch time detention or two.
Still snickering away, we did as we were told and stood outside the classroom.
“Jayson,” I whined, leaning against a wooden post that held up a sort of shelter around the science block “I’m bored, again”
“You’re spending too much time with Michelle” He replied with a chuckle, leaning against a post opposite me.
I rolled my eyes and looked around for something to amuse me and get rid of my boredom. I finally settled on watching through a massive window, showing another group of students in our year in a science lesson.
A teacher whose name I couldn’t remember was observing a class, who were following the instructions to an experiment. A pair of guys at the back of the class caught my eye. I think, if I remember correctly, that they were named Jacob and Sam.
Jacob was a tall, large boy with dark hair, gelled back into one of those mini mohikan styles; a little bit on the chubby side and his face was dotted with freckles. Sam was also tall, but lanky and skinny with messy blonde hair. He wore a black jacket; which he obviously wasn’t supposed to be wearing.
I sighed and shook my head, the two were obviously up to no good; casting shifty glances over their shoulders and, as I looked around at the rest of the classes experiments, collection the wrong chemicals and doing a different experiment completely. As if they were doing a particular experiment anyway.
‘Somebody’s gonna get hurt...’ I thought to myself, in a sing song tone, as the taller idiot poured a cloudy coloured acid into a cylinder, then adding another two suspicious-coloured substances to the mix. They chuckled and smirked evilly, as the shadowed over the glass, waiting for something to happen.
To their dismay, however, nothing happened.
Idiotically, they began arguing; their faces scrunching up and reddening as they began shoving each other aggressively. Talk about over reacting...
By now they had caught the rest of the classes attention, (what with all the commotion and what-not) but just as the teacher managed to push his way through the crowd that had gathered around the two, Sam had shoved Jacob hard enough to push him over causing him to collided with a desk behind him, knocking all the containers atop of it onto the floor.
They smashed, with what I imagined to be a deafening sound, on collision with the floor, the different coloured mixtures spilling across the plastic flooring mixing into a sickly coloured rainbow.
It seemed for a moment, as if everyone in the scene in front of me had frozen in a state of silent shock; expressions of horror on their faces.
The teacher, probably breaking the silence, told everyone to stand well back, and began to yell at the two students who had caused this mess. I would have expected that they got a few after school detentions, plus they’d have to pay for the broken containers.
Suddenly, a sizzling grey smoke began to rise from the mess of acids on the floor, making its way slowly across the classroom and engulfing the class in a thick fog.
My eyes widened, and before Jayson (who had also been watching the little seen unfold before us) could suggest anything and without thinking, I rushed towards the nearest fire alarm, smashing my hand through the glass, cutting my knuckles in the process.
Hissing in pain, I held my hand to my chest, as an annoying high pitched siren began to ring throughout the school and students began to file out of classrooms nearby, breaking the stillness that had previously been so calm.
Some students were joking about and having a laugh, praising the fact they had time out of lessons, completely letting the fact that this could be a serious situation (which, it could) pass them by. Others were looking through the crowd for their friends, some looking slightly worried that something major could have happened.
Mr Brussels appeared behind us, directing a hateful glare at Jayson and myself. He probably assumed we had set off the fire alarm as some sort of stupid prank. But his face fell slightly when he noticed the smoke filled room opposite us, and grumbled a quiet ‘get to the astro turf you two,’ before hurrying along with the other teachers and students.
I looked at Jayson, biting my lip. He only shrugged and gestured for me to follow the others.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey guys :) This is being re-written- sorry for the inconvenience!!