Emptiness

Emptiness

The blank page stretches out before me, seeming to go on for miles and miles. It is empty, just like me. Just as the paper is devoid of words, I am devoid of hope. I am impassive and emotionless. I idly wonder what to fill the paper with. I have no inspiration. There are billions of topics I could write about, but none of them suit me. I lift my pencil and bring it to the paper's surface. I will write about my emptiness. I compare myself to the blank page, slowly filling up with words... meaningless words. As I finish writing, I realize the page is no longer blank, but it might as well be. Just like myself. I can fill myself with excuses to my problems, but underneath it all I am still empty. Nothing can be gained from the words on the paper, and nothing can be gained from the lies in my heart. I close my journal, shove it aside, and turn off my flashlight. I stare at the ceiling, knowing another sleepless night awaits me. I think about my discovery. I am a blank page. I am empty. And until I find some inspiration, I will remain a blank page, remain empty. Perhaps that is best... that I see the truth now. But I cannot accept the pain of life just yet. So I will continue to pretend, writing the meaningless words of my life until I am strong enough to fill myself.