Caitlin's Trip

Better Days

The next morning I hear a knocking at the window, I open my eyes to see Jimmy isn't next to me but outside the door. I unlock the door and he slides in. "Got food," he says handing me a doughnut.

"Thanks," I say sitting up and taking a bite.

"I also found a club thing we can stay at," he says, eating his own doughnut.

"Cool."

We drive around the neighborhood before we pull up to a club called 'The Bay View'. "Is there even a bay around here?" I ask quizzically.

"I don't think so," Jimmy mutters as he parks across the street from this club. We grab our bags and climb out of the car. As we're about to open the door this maniac (probably on some chemical drug) runs out screaming.

"Very home like," I chuckle as we enter.

"Newbies!" a really hyper voice yells.

"Tunny don't scare 'em off," the girl sitting next to him warns.

"Hi I'm Tunny," he says obnoxiously.

"Jimmy and this is Caitlin," Jimmy says cautiously.

"You probably want to talk to Darrel," he says nodding his head towards a door in the back of the empty club. I walk up to the door and I'm about to knock when the girl with Tunny says.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you, he doesn't like being disturbed when he's sleeping."

"Okay," I say as Jimmy as I head to the bench where Tunny and the girl are sitting.

"Oh, this is my girlfriend Candy," Tunny smirks.

"My name is Darcy, Candy is just my stage name," she says as she slaps Tunny's arm.

"Stage name?" I ask looking over at Jimmy.

"She's a stripper!" Tunny says very happily. This comment is rewarded by another slap from Darcy.

"Erotic dancer" she says confidently.

"So, uh how'd you get into that line of work?" I ask trying not to laugh.

"To support my habit," she says lifting the sleeve of her shirt to show syringe scars. I look over at Jimmy who's very uneasy at this point. "What about you two?"

"Uh well, I was hitchhiking and he picked me up, and we've together ever since," I say casually.

"Where you from?" Tunny asks as he places a cigarette between his lips and motioning to everyone to ask if they wanted one. Jimmy and I each take one and light up.

"California," Jimmy mutters as he fumbles with his lighter.

"Wow, you traveled far."

"You're telling me," Jimmy says taking a puff. At that moment a really fat and hairy man walks out of the back room.

"Oy! Darrel! We got newbies!" Tunny yells, his voice echoing across the club.

"Rent is $10 a week," Darrel mutters as he pours himself a shot at the bar.

"Uh, okay," I say amused at how it's eight in the morning and he's already gone to the shots. I mean I've known people who'd drink beer in the morning but not hard liquor.

After two weeks of living upstairs the club, Jimmy started acting suicidal. The fact that the club was always full of heroine users and dealers was too much for him. "Maybe we should leave," I suggest to Jimmy.

"And go where?"

"Anywhere, I can tell you're not happy here."

"But don't you want to stay?" he asks, I just shrug my shoulders. Tunny stumbles up to us.

"Guess what buddies! We gots our own apartment!" he slurs as he pulls Darcy closer to him.

"Yeah, the two of you should stay with us," she says waving her arm. We get our bags and follow them down the street to this dingy little apartment on the third floor.

That night, I was trying to fall asleep spooned in Jimmy's arms. "I know what I want."

"What's that?" I ask lazily.

"I want to open my own live music club and I want you to help me."

"Gladly," I say. "Where will you open such a club?"

"Here, in Toronto, maybe in better area than where we are now," he says yawning.

"Sounds good."