Caitlin's Trip

Pulling Tricks

I wake up to the rumble of the car engine starting up.
"Good morning stranger." I say yawning.
"Good morning Whatsername." He says smiling.
"So you've decided to call me that now?"
"I couldn't remember your name." he says apologetically.
"Caitlin." I mutter. "You hungry?"
"Sorta" he shrugs. I pull a couple of muffins out of my bag and pass him one. "Thanks."
"Yeah, yeah."
"Oh I'm so glad I picked up you as a hitchhiker." He says scraping down the muffin. I laugh and say.
"I'm glad you picked me up, you're haven't tried to rape or kill me." he laughs.
"Not yet anyway."
"Is that a threat?" I ask jokingly.
"Meh, you had a chance to run away last night, yet you stuck around, you're probably dying to get into my pants. So I should be more worried about you raping me." he says raising his eyebrows.
"Oh yeah, I'm the horny and villainous." I say sarcastically.
"You really make for amusing company, you know that." He says as he messes up my hair.
"Oh yeah and I'll give you a lap dance for five bucks." I say laughing.
"Wow, you're like the best hitchhiker ever!"
"Tis what I'm told."

We drive for a couple of more hours before he pulls over.
"We can sell the joints here." He says pointing at a 7/11.
"What? Are you sure? It's just a pitt stop."
"Nope, see look at the people sitting on the sidewalk, teenagers who are most lightly stoned as we speak and over there's a dealer; the only guy here who's not completely toasted." I can't help but laugh.
"You have a whole drug dealing psychology here."
"Indeed." He says glancing around the parking lot nervously. "You wait here."
"No, it's okay. I'll come along." I say unbuckling my seatbelt. He looks at me uneasy.
"Alright, but don't try to negotiate or anything, leave that to me." he says awkwardly.
"You're the drug dealer psychologist." I pass him the bag and he removes five and leaves the rest in the car. I follow him to the guy he suspected of being the drug dealer.
"How much can you give me for this?" he asks holding out the joints. The dealer picks one up and smells it.
"For all five, fifty bucks." I open my mouth about to complain but I remember what Jimmy said and I shut my mouth.
"Deal" Jimmy says as they exchange is made. We walk back to the car in silence.

"He ripped us off." I say after we drive away.
"No shit." Jimmy says rolling his eyes.
"Then why'd you take the deal."
"We need the money and he had a gun which means, no negotiating."
"I see."
"You have a lot to learn grasshopper."
"Grasshopper? Whatsername is one thing, but don't call me grasshopper."
"Fine then." He says laughing.
"Why didn't you fill up the gas tank at the 7/11" I ask looking at the dial.
"You don't eat where you piss." He says looking out at the road.
"What?"
"You don't hang around where you just made a deal."
"Oh" I say quietly.