Status: Complete

You Ought to Smile More

I Can't Tell You Anything

The Batman took me to the police station and walked right in and to Gordan’s office. People stared and began to whisper to each other. He didn’t even knock, but opened the door and walked in.

“Gordan,” he mumbled. The man looked up from writing and gasped when he saw us.

“Batman, what are you doing here? And with Caprice Mateo… Why is she handcuffed?” he asked. I rolled my eyes and yanked my arm from Batman’s grasp. He was hurting me.

“I suspect her of working with The Joker. She needs to be taken to the interrogation room.” He said huskily. Gordan’s eyes widened and he grabbed my arm and pulled me to the interrogation room.

I sat down in a chair under bright lights and blinked a lot until my eyes adjusted to them. Gordan sat down in front of me and Batman stood close behind him.

“Batman, explain this,” Gordan said over his shoulder.

“I was tailing her because I saw her leaving an abandoned ship yard. I asked her why she was there, and she said her friend lived there. I highly doubt that. She has also had a run in with The Joker before so I wouldn’t be surprised if he forced her onto his side,” he said. Gordan stared at me when I didn’t say anything.

“Caprice, is that true? Are you helping The Joker?” he asked. I bit my tongue. If they knew, The Joker would hunt me down and kill me.

“I’m not,” I lied.

“Caprice, you're a horrible liar. Just tell me what’s going on. You’re such a nice girl who has done good things for teenagers. Your magazine helps so many of them…” I shook my head.

“I’m not helping The Joker,” I said through clenched teeth. The Batman growled and gripped both of my arms tightly. I could feel the bruises beginning to form. I bit my lip to keep from crying out. He squeezed my arms harder and shook me slightly.

“Tell us what is going on!” he demanded. I blinked tears back and let my head drop.

“He’ll kill me. I can’t tell you anything,” I whispered. The Batman slowly let go of me and just stood there.

“Caprice, what do you mean?” he asked. I held back a sob and shook my head. My emotions were getting the best of me and I was trying my hardest not to cry in front of these two men. It was just another sign of weakness.

“Just take a deep breath and tell us,” Gordan said kindly. I glanced up at him and sucked in a deep breath. I waited a minute or two and got my breathing under control.

“He kidnapped me in the parking garage of my building a few days ago and took everything so it didn’t look like I was kidnapped,” I started softly. I am so getting slaughtered for this.

“Go on,”

“He took me to the ship yard and into an old building. He has a lot of men on the inside, but 7 main ones named after the seven dwarfs in Snow White. He told me to help him or he would kill me,” I whispered.

“Help him with what?” Gordan asked.

“What else is there? He wants me to find out who Batman is,” I mumbled looking into Batman’s dark eyes.

“Me?” he asked.

“Yes because you wouldn’t take off your mask for him, he pulled me into his cruel games.”

“How would you be able to find out who Batman is if he can't?” Gordan asked.

“He has a list of suspects. He’s killed about 8 of them and there are 10 under watch. About 5 of them aren’t being watched but are still suspects. He wanted me to use my connection to Bruce to see if he was Batman. What a joke… Then he wanted me to see if Harvey was the Batman…”

“Are either of those men being watched?” Batman asked.

“Harvey is, but Bruce isn’t.” I whispered.

“Caprice is there—“

“No, that’s all. I just want to go home,”

‘But—“ I cut Gordan off.

“That’s all! I want to go home and sleep. I didn’t want to be involved with a man like him! I didn’t ask for this! It’s all your fault! If you hadn’t of fought with him then he would have left me alone, but now he’s convinced that you know me personally and want to protect me! I don’t even know who the hell you are!” I yelled at Batman and then slumped down in my chair.

Gordan leaned over and uncuffed me. He rested a hand on my shoulder and gently squeezed it.

“I think it would be best if we put you under some kind of protection in case he comes to you again.” Gordan said. Batman just stood there…

“He’s meeting me on my lunch break tomorrow. I don’t know where, but I know he is. He called me on my lunch break today when I was with Bruce and told me he was in my office. Turns out he scaled the building and got in through the window…”

“Sounds like he’s determined,” Gordan mumbled. I saw Batman stand up a little straighter and he looked stiff.

“Can I go now?” I asked standing up. Gordan nodded.

“Batman, can you escort Caprice back to where she’s living? I’ll call a few cops up and have then keep watch for The Joker. If he contacts you, you need to call me right after,” he handed me a small card with his personal number on it.

I nodded and The Batman led me out of the station. We passed by all the people again, but I ignored their questioning looks and whispers.

“So he forced you against your will?” the Batman asked as we walked home. He stayed on the darker side of the sidewalk out of the eyes of others.

“Yeah, do you think I would seriously help a mad man like him?” I asked. He shrugged.

“So, do you know me personally like how The Joker thinks you do?” I asked softly. We were getting closer to Todd’s apartment. The Batman hesitated a little.

“Yes, on a certain level,” I sighed and shook my head.

“How could I know you and not realize that you’re Batman?” I asked looking into his dark eyes. Where have I seen them before?!

“You probably just convinced yourself that it wasn’t me,” he said deeply. We walked into the parking garage and I turned to face him, but he was gone. I looked around and groaned. Man, he disappears quickly.

I walked up the stairs, avoiding the elevator, and got to Todd’s floor. I let myself in with the spare key and saw all the lights were out. Todd’s bedroom door was closed so I assumed that he was already asleep.

I quietly slipped off my shoes and tiptoed to my bedroom trying not to wake him up. I changed into more comfortable clothes and got under my duvet. The last thing I wanted to do was wake up and have to go see The Joker tomorrow on my lunch break…
♠ ♠ ♠
(: Comments are loved