Status: Complete

You Ought to Smile More

Live My Ass

I woke up the next morning and almost jumped out of my skin. The Joker was at eye level with me and he was staring at me only a few inches from my face.

“Shit,” I breathed and took a deep breath. The Joker laughed and stood up.

“Good, you're awake. I'm in the mood for bacon…” all of yesterday’s events flooded back into my mind and I almost collapsed. The Joker faked my death and now I'm living here with him like a maid.

I slowly got out of bed and followed him to where the kitchen was. I fixed my business skirt and blouse on the way. We passed through the living room and I saw a group of new men sitting around.

“New recruits?” I asked softly. The Joker didn’t spare them a glance, but nodded. I made eye contact with one and he winked at me and whistled. The Joker stopped suddenly and I ran into his back.

I wanted to ask him why he stopped, but when I looked up at his face, I saw pure rage on it and I didn’t want to mess with him. He strode over to the man who whistled at me and put the barrel of his gun to the man’s forehead.

“Did you just whistle at MY doll?” he asked icily. The man gulped and shook in fear.

“She’s yours?” he asked.

“Yeah, everything here is mine until I feel like sharing. I don’t like sharing though especially not with you…” the sound of the gun going off sent shivers down my spine. I closed my eyes and kept them shut.

“Ask Sneezy where the cleaning supplies are and clean him up.” The Joker ordered. I could hear him walking back to me. His hand was on my cheek.

“Let’s go,” he lightly tapped my cheek so I opened my eyes and I wearily followed him into the kitchen. Him killing that guy just reminded me of how cold blooded The Joker was.

“Start cooking.”

“Wait, what do you want?”

“I told you. Bacon.” With that he left the room. I looked around the dusty kitchen and sighed. Hopefully they bought food and dishes…

After 30 minutes of finding everything needed and cooking, I had made bacon, eggs, and toast. Before I could call him in, The Joker was already making a plate.

“Can I go shower?” I asked once he started eating. He nodded.

“You’re clothes are in the closet and dresser.” He unpacked my clothes? It didn’t even bother me as much. I just wanted to shower and get changed. on the way back through the living room, I saw that the man’s body had been removed and one of the guys was still scrubbing the wood floor.

I hurried into the room I shared with The Joker and shut the door behind me. Taking a deep breath, I walked into the bathroom and started the water.

The entire time I showered, all I could think about was my magazine, Todd, and sometimes Bruce. Had I died already? Was it already on the news? I went missing yesterday morning…

I sighed and turned off the water. I thought more as I got dressed. It’s too late to worry about it. You can’t change the mind of The Joker’s. Besides, it’s not like I can get away from him either. He’s watching me like a hawk.

I walked into the bedroom and saw The Joker at his desk, scribbling things on his Batman list.

“Made any headway?” I asked as I sat on the bed and brushed my wet hair. He glanced at me and nodded.

“I’m going out and I’ll be back in a few hours. Don’t get alone with the new guys. If you leave this room, find one of my dwarfs and stick with them.” he opened one of the desk drawers and grabbed a few knives, sliding them into his overcoat’s pockets.

“Watch yourself,” he mumbled as he left the room. I blinked and went back to brushing my hair. Since when did he care if I got hurt or not?

An hour passed before I finally went back into the living room. Doc was sitting on the couch watching the news so I sat next to him. He didn’t even look at me, but he knew I was there.

“Am I dead yet?” I asked softly. He nodded.

“Died yesterday at 11am, police found your car at 12 and you’ll be on the news in a few more minutes.” He told me.

“I see.” I watched the news come back on the blonde woman show a picture of me and my wrecked car. It was crushed and turned upside down on the highway. It also looked like the engine had caught fire.

“You guys don’t mess around…” I got up to go back up stairs, but there was a bang on the front door. I looked at Doc and he shrugged his shoulders. We walked over to the door and he slowly opened it.

The Joker fell forward and I barely caught him before he hit the ground. His blood got on my clothes and my pulse picked up.

“Boss, what happened?” Doc helped me take him to the bedroom before anyone else saw him. We laid him on the bed.

“Fuckin’ ambush. I’m gonna slaughter Maroni,” he hissed. He tried to sit up, but I softly made him lay down.

“Where are you hurt?” I whispered.

“I just got shot in the shoulder. I’ll live,” he pushed my hands away, but I glared at him.

“Not if the wound gets infected. Doc, go get me a first aid kit.” He hurried out of the room. I gently took off his coat and vest. The honeycomb pattern shirt was soaked in blood.

“Live my ass.” I grumbled and tore his shirt off.

“Woah there Doll Face. I don’t mess around until you’ve bought me dinner.”

“Now is not the time,” I said and looked at his wound. He already got the bullet out, but the wound needs stitches.

“How did you get the bullet out?” I asked.

“Dug it out with my knife,” it was like he did this every day. Why am I even helping him?! Maybe because I don’t like to turn my back on people in need.

Doc came back with the kit and then left, shutting the door behind him. I cleaned the wound and then looked for a needle and medical thread.

“I’m going to have to stitch it up,” I warned him. He nodded and relaxed on the bed.

“Do you get hurt a lot?” I asked him while I quickly started to push the needle into him. He cringed, but nodded.

“It comes with this line of work.” He grumbled. I saw all the other scars he had on his body. Once I finished, I cut the thread and then wrapped bandages around his shoulder and upper arm.

“Okay, I think I did pretty well. I’ve never taken any medical classes before but I did do the basics.”

“Well, you do come in handy, Doll Face.” He grinned and leaned up to peck my lips before laying back down and rolling onto his good side. What is with him and kissing lately?
♠ ♠ ♠
I am SOOOO sorry for the wait. I've been babysitting my sister's twins day AND night for the past 2 weeks and I'm so sleep deprived it's not even funny. But I'm trying to get some updates out so just bear with me guys. Thanks for all the support and comments!(: