Status: Complete

You Ought to Smile More

Money Can't Bring You Back To Life

“Hun, what’s wrong? You look like you didn’t sleep at all last night,” Todd said the next morning when I came in for work. I shook my head and sat down at my desk, sipping the coffee Alice had prepared for me.

I didn’t want to tell Todd The Joker was at my penthouse last night. He would freak out and call the cops, but I have a feeling that would only make things worse.

“Have you heard anything about Rosalina?” I asked flipping through a sack of papers that were waiting for my signature on my desk.

“She’s being hospitalized right now, but her staff is keeping The Red Carpet still going.” He said sitting on the side of my desk.

“Too bad,” I mumbled. Don’t get me wrong, I was concerned for her health, but her magazine is my main competition. If it were to go down the drain, Vintage would be number one.

“Caprice, you’re not telling me something,” Todd said. Darn him for being so observant.

“I just didn’t sleep well because I was shaken from seeing The Joker. I’ll be fine later, promise,” He looked hesitant, but nodded and left my office. I pushed the sack of papers aside and leaned back in my chair.

It’s going to be a rough day. I finally started to work and lost track of time.

Bruce walked into my office with a small smile. I smiled back even though I was confused.

“What are you doing here?” I asked standing up.

“It’s time for your lunch break and I came to take you out.” I didn’t object mainly because I didn’t want to be a lone again. What if he decided to show up again?

I grabbed my coat and Bruce helped me put it on. We walked outside and were ambushed by reporters and cameras.


“Why did The Joker target your fundraiser?”

“Do you know The Joker’s true identity?”

“Are you working with The Joker?”

“Are you and Bruce finally going out?”

“Have you set a date for the wedding?

“How far along is your pregnancy?”


Those are some of the questions they threw at us. I turned and faced them, feeling ticked off and not in the mood for their shit.

“Bruce and I are friends, we’re not getting married, I’m not pregnant, I don’t know the Joker or why he showed up last night. Fuck off!” I’m not one to usually say things like that, but I was seriously on edge about everything.

Bruce smirked and opened the door to his Lambo for me. We got in and he sped off. I sighed and leaned back in the passenger seat.

“Having a bad day?” he asked.

“You don’t even realize,” I grumbled. He glanced at me, concerned.

“Want to talk about it?”

“I just don’t feel safe in my penthouse. I have to change my locks and get a new alarm system installed,” I ranted.

“Why?” Bruce asked scrunching up his eyebrows. I shrugged my shoulders and tried to play it off, but he could obviously see through my nonchalance because he kept pressing the matter.

“Did something happen last night that you're not telling me?” I bit my lip and looked out the window.

“He showed up at my penthouse,”

“He?”

“The Joker. I got out of the shower and saw a message on my mirror. Then he was in my living room and before I could even comprehend it, he left. I'm scared, but I don’t want to call the cops or move. I have a feeling that would only piss him off,”

“Caprice! This is serious! Come stay at my place until this blows over,” Bruce said. He parked in the parking lot of a restaurant, but neither of us got out.

“I can't! He might take it the wrong way and hurt you or me. We don’t know what kind of crazy shit is going on in his head. He’s a sociopath for God’s sake. He could kill both of us and not even care!”

“I’m not that easy to kill,” Bruce muttered. I sighed and opened the car door.

“Money can’t bring you back to life,” I whispered and got out. Bruce followed me and finally dropped the subject as we ate. We ate in almost complete silence, and I could tell that Bruce wanted to continue our conversation, but didn’t.

When he drove me back to work, the reporters were gone and it was quiet.

“Thank you for taking me to lunch and worrying over me, but I’ll be fine. I can take care of myself,” I said as nicely as I could and walked back into the building.

I drowned myself in work so I didn’t leave any room to think about what might happen tonight. Todd walked into my office with a confused face.

“Caprice, what are you still doing here?” he asked.

“Working,” I answered curtly.

“Babe, it’s almost midnight and you always leave around 8 or 9. Why are you really still here?” he asked sitting on the edge of my desk.

“I just want to make sure Vintage is stable enough to compete with Rosalina when she gets out is all. I guess I’m having an OCD moment,” I said with a fake smile. Todd looked like he half believed it.

“I didn’t even realize it was this late. I should get going. I’ll see you tomorrow Todd,” I said grabbing my purse and jacket before he could say anything. My car was parked in the underground garage so to say it was creepy was an understatement.

I was constantly looking over my shoulder expecting The Joker to be there, but he never was. Now I’m just paranoid. I got into my car and drove quickly to my penthouse. I called the locksmith during work and he’s going to come over tomorrow to change my locks.

I walked inside my penthouse and everything looked like it normally did. After hanging my coat up in the closet, I settled down on my couch and stared at the wall. If I went to bed would he show up? Would he break in again and mess with me?

I feel like I’m starting to go crazy! I stood up and started walking to my bedroom. Sleep would probably take all this stress away.

Jingle jingle click…

The hairs on my neck stood up and I slowly turned around to face the front door. It was half way open, but I didn’t see anyone on the other side. My heart race sped up and I quickly let my wide eyes scan the room.

“Looking for me?” he whispered in my ear. My breath caught in my throat and The Joker walked around me so that he stood in front of me.

“Hello, Dollface,” he giggled taking my face into his hands.
♠ ♠ ♠
hehe more of the joker and batman is coming(:
Leave a comment!!