Dark Nights, Bites and Bad Luck

2/2

Image

I woke up with a burning feeling. As though my whole body was on fire. I couldn't move. I thought the pain meant I was live, that I had survived and I was in hospital. What it really meant was I was becoming a monster, a vampire. I had never really thought about vampires. I had never read a book or even see a film about them but it turn out they were realer than the actors that play them. It wasn't fair. I was only eighteen, I hadn't even graduated yet. Instead of a diploma I was stuck with a yearbook page dedicated to me. My life was gone, I had no real future, I would never have a happy ever after or even just a happy for now. It was over, I had lost but still had to play the game.

I would realize where I was when I got movement back. At first I could move my eyes, it was too dark to see. It didn't make me think any different. I realize the truth when I was able to move my arms again. I could feel the soft yet rough fabric but smooth in away. Silk.

That weird for hospital bed

I was closed in, I was surrounded. I was in coffin. I did what any normal person would do. I panicked. I started banging on the coffin door. I had heard about people being buried alive and I thought I was just one of the rare few. If only. I had gain superhuman strength and I accidentally broke though the wood. I didn't even think, I tore away the wood and climbed out. I made my way though the dirt and broke though the surface. A normal person would of died with dirt crushing them. I wasn't even tired. It never crossed my mind how weird that was. I was too focused on my grave stone. It was a weird thing to see, not many people got to see theirs. It said plainly

Katia Stone
Taken too soon
1971 -1989


The flowers from the funeral were still there, it was just too odd. I start to stand up when I noticed the grave next to me. It was Steve's and next to it was Bill's. Only one not there was Angie, she survived the night. I felt briefly happy that one of them had made it. Very briefly, I got up and started to head for graveyard's gate. I was almost though the gate when I smelled it. It was smell like food, delicious food. Suddenly I had never been hunger in my life. The smell was coming from a shed in the graveyard. I step towards it carefully. I slowly open the door, there wasn't anything I would have called food. There was an old man sitting at the desk on the opposite wall. He must have been the ground's Keeper.

He hadn't heard me come in. I smell the air, trying to figure out where the smell of food was coming from. It was coming from the man. I slowly walked towards him, I could hear his heart beat and it was making me excited. I didn't know why. I put my hand on the man's shoulder. He jumped up and turned around. I could smell the fear from him, it was when I realize the smell was him and instincts took over. I lunged at the him and bit him on the neck. I sucked him dry.

It was when I was licking the last drops of his sweet blood from my lips that realize what I had done. What I was. I started screaming, I had just killed a man but I was the one screaming. That guy had been a vampire, I was a vampire. I wouldn't have believed if I hadn't just sucked the blood of a compete stranger. I had killed a man. I couldn't look at his body, I had to get out of there. I ran from the shed but I didn't get far before they caught me.

Vampires have a society, a government of sots. There are rules and laws they, we have to abide by. You could only kill people that wouldn't be missed, Oh, they were bloody missed but no one but their friends and family would look. The cops won't give a damn, if couple of druggies went missing or the local homeless population decreased without an explanation. I had actually broke the rules once or twice by killing a rapist and pedophile. I got away with it because the bastards I never been caught and they weren't that rich. The Vampires looked after me in the early years. Taught me the rules of survival. I stay close to the main group, I don't see the point in leaving. I have no where to go.

I was forbidden to see my family or friends again but I keep an eye on them. My father died of cancer last year leaving my mother all alone. I had been an only child. Angie, the only real survivor of that night, is married and has three grown up children. She had named them after me and Steve. In fact, she even has a grandkid on the way. She had everything I wish I could have but never would. I try not to think about them but they were all I had left of my life. They were the only pieces of the real me unharmed.

Becoming a vampire changes you and never for the better. Some embraced the monster, don't feel any guilt for the life's, they take and enjoy the lifestyle. Actually most do. I some times wish I was like them that I, too had lost their humanity. The others like me, are rare. They feel guilt, they remember the faces. I remember them but I had killed too many people to count. Why you ask? Because the hunger is too great. It always won and always would. I had give up all hope for control, there was no way to. The only way to stop it was to destroy the monster and it wasn't as easy as the movies make out. To kill a vampire it took great force. The force of another vampire. The only way to end this hell, would be to expose us in some way. Sure, they could easily cover it up but no mistake were allowed. If anyone connected Vampires to a murder, you were dead. I had some comfort to know that the monster that killed my friends and cursed me had been executed. I had thought of breaking the rules so many times but I could never chose someone to die. The people I had killed, I could always blame it on their bad luck. Like mine.

I had went though that night so many times and the events leading up it were all bad luck. If I hadn't forgot to check the batteries in the torch, I would of never of fell in the dark. I wouldn't of hurt myself. The vampire wouldn't of smelt my blood. I would of been home by the time Steve and the others drove home and they would have been safe at home by the time of the attack. Yes, it was all bad luck. It was my bad luck that got them killed. It was my fault.
♠ ♠ ♠
Every time a comment is made a writer gets her inspiration