Sequel: Love By Our Side
Status: completed

Everything's Changing Now

only love when you want to.

The two were seated by a window with a view of the back gardens of the restaurant. Sophie agreed to order the French toast under threat from Stephen, so as he ordered, she looked out the window and admired the flowers.

“I love nature. Flowers, especially. I could spend all day outside, just looking,” Sophie said, almost dream-like.

“I get easily lost outdoors too, sometimes. We’d used to go camping about an hour from here all the time when I was younger, and John and I would just wander around in the forests and fields. He’d mostly just collect and kill bugs, but I’d always like walking around, looking at all the trees and animals,” Stephen reminisced.

“That sounds like a place I’d love. When was the last time you went?” asked Sophie.

“Probably five or so years ago. Two boys can only sleep in a tent with their parents for so long,” Stephen joked.

“Hm, we-like, a group of us-should go out there for a night or two. I think it’d be fun!” Sophie said, hoping Stephen would take her hint. She felt an attraction to Stephen that she hadn’t felt since she started seeing Kyle, but she wanted to wait and see if it would go anywhere or if it was a small infatuation.

Stephen smiled at the suggestion. “I’d like that. I think everyone else would go for it, too.”

The two continued to make small talk before their food was brought out. Sophie talked about her plans to attend community college before going to university, as she had no idea where she wanted to go. She told Stephen about how she was starting her veterinarian career by interning at the animal shelter this summer, which was one of the reasons she was staying with the Clearys. Stephen informed Sophie that his band, The Summer Set, were trying to get on a few smaller, West Coast tours soon, and that they were currently contacting record labels about setting up showcases.

“We actually have a show next week, you and Delaney should come,” Stephen remarked.

“Yeah, for sure. That’d be really fun! I haven’t been to a show since my dad took me to see blink-182 in eighth grade…’ Sophie trailed

“You haven’t been to a show in five years? That’s nuts! How do you live?” Stephen half mocked.

“Well, it’s not like any of my friends would want to go with me, and Delaney only listens to that rap shit. I dunno, I just never really thought about going,” Sophie lied.

“Huh, we’re gonna have to find you some shows to go to this summer. I’ll be your escort to them, no trouble,” Stephen smirked.

“I’m down to go to any. Well, maybe not that heavy metal stuff. I could never get into that.”

“Haha, not a problem. The shows I’m thinking of are a bit more, chill than those,” Stephen said as their food arrived. Stephen waited for Sophie to take the first bite, wanting to see her expression about the food.

“Damn. You were right. Definitely some of the best French toast I’ve had,” Sophie gave her critique as she shoved another, bigger bite in her mouth.

“Told you! Now you gotta drive me up to Flagstaff!” Stephen teased.

“Oh no, not yet. You have to try my French toast first,” Sophie laughed between bites.

“Let’s try ‘em tonight. We can make a date out of it, breakfast and a movie at my house,” Stephen, somehow mustering up the nerve to ask Sophie out a second time in twenty-four hours, suggested.

“Sounds like a plan!” Sophie smiled. The two finished up their food, Stephen paid after a fight, and they headed off. Stephen was more nervous for that night, where they wouldn’t have a table to separate them.
♠ ♠ ♠
No update tomorrow cause I'm going to Take Action, I'm sure I'll get one up on Friday but I/'m not positive. Leave me some feedback, this chapter's not my favorite but that's okay.