Sequel: Love By Our Side
Status: completed

Everything's Changing Now

punch the clock.

Monday was Sophie’s first day working at the shelter. She worked 9:00 to 3:00, with an hour lunch break at noon on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays. She was grateful that she wasn’t starting any earlier; since she had been in Scottsdale and hanging out with Stephen and the rest of his group, the earliest she had been to bed was one in the morning. She didn’t mind it at all, she actually enjoyed staying up and out later, and she felt like she was finally experiencing things “normal” teenagers did.

The animal shelter Sophie was working at was located in Tempe, about ten minutes from the Cleary’s house. She left at 8:40 in the morning to get there a little early. When she arrived, she was introduced to her group and mentor. She would be working with three other kids her age, Jason, Liam, and Stephanie, and their group leader and mentor was Leslie, a 40-something woman who had worked at the shelter since she was 16.

“Today, we’re just going to go through orientation. You’ll be learning new things almost everyday you’re here, but by next week you’ll be expected to do the daily checkups of a specific group of animals. That’s what you’ll start learning to do today,” Leslie announced. “Now, who’s a dog person and who’s a cat person?”

“I’d love to work with the dogs,” Sophie answered.

“I would, too!” a high-pitched voice nearly shrieked. Sophie assumed Stephanie was the owner of the shrill voice, and she knew the two of them wouldn’t get along right away, but was amused at the fact that the two boys had to work with the cats.

“All right, the girls get the dogs, which leaves the boys with the cats. Follow me,” Leslie instructed.

“Hi, I’m Stephanie! It’s gonna be awesome to work together!” the girl introduced herself. It sounded like every word out of her mouth was followed by an exclamation point, and Sophie had to reserve herself from not hitting the girl in the head every time she spoke.

“I’m Sophie, it’s nice to meet you. Why are you working here this summer?” Sophie asked through clenched teeth.

“I wanna be a vet! I love animals!” Sophie was amused by the juvenile responses she was receiving. She really hoped that Stephanie would turn out to be smarter than she seemed, or else it would be a long summer.
♠ ♠ ♠
Boring shit, I know. Just a quick overview of what Sophie does for her job, I will barely write anything else about this.