Sequel: Love By Our Side
Status: completed

Everything's Changing Now

my papercut doesn't hurt that much.

At 6:30 that night, Stephen had checked himself in the mirror at least ten times before sighing and settling on wearing a plain black v-neck, skinny jeans, and slip on Vans. He had his usual mess of necklaces on, as well as a bracelet Leigh had given him for his birthday. He finished straightening his hair, then messed around with it a bit until he got the messy look he desired.

“Alright ma, I’m leaving!” Stephen called out.

“Okay honey. Please, please don’t do anything too stupid tonight. Have fun, though!” Mrs. Gomez called back.

Laughing and in the best of spirits, Stephen waved goodbye and walked out the door. When he pulled up to Leigh’s house, he checked himself in the mirror one last time before going up to her door. He knocked a few times, and Leigh’s mother answered the door, congratulating him on graduating with a hug.

“Leigh’s down in the basement, I believe. You know the way there,” she told Stephen.
Thanking her, he walked down the familiar steps, calling his girlfriend’s name. When he reached the bottom, he saw her sitting on the couch watching MTV.

“Hey hun, congrats on graduating today,” he told her in a silly voice before giving her a peck on the lips. “What’s wrong? You look kinda down,” Stephen asked, noticing the bags and subtle tear stains under her eyes.

“Listen, Stephen. I really think we should talk…” Leigh trailed.

“About what? I thought we talked about this already,” Stephen said, referring to their decision to continue dating after graduation. Leigh would be going to UCLA in August and was worried about their relationship, with her away and Stephen hopefully touring most of the year.

“I’ve been thinking more about it. I mean, I don’t want to sound like a bitch, and you know I love you, but there are going to be so many new guys and opportunities at school…” she trailed again. “I just-I don’t think it’s a good idea for us to keep dating. I thought long and hard about this all today and yesterday, and it’s not fair to you if I go off and end up doing something that’s beyond my control. You know how I get when I drink.”

“And that’s why I thought you decided you weren’t going to drink! Leigh, I’m really willing to make this work, and I thought you were too! I can’t believe you’d even suggest that you’d cheat!” Stephen nearly yelled, trying not to let those upstairs hear the conversation.

Stephen truly loved Leigh with his whole heart, he’d do anything for her. At one point when his band had started gaining a bigger following, he’d seriously considered quitting as per her request. She thought he was going to get too big and forget about her, and he told her that she was crazy and could never happen. After nearly giving his bandmates a collective heart attack, Stephen informed them that Leigh changed her mind and would let him stay in the band. Many, including Stephen’s best friends and brother, told him that Leigh was too controlling. He shook them off and said that she just cared about him and wanted what was best for their relationship.

“Stephen, I just really think this is for the best, at least for now. Don’t you wanna live the “rockstar” life for a bit? I know I want to live the college life, and I don’t see how that’s possible with a boyfriend tying me down at home,” Leigh said offhandedly.

“Oh, so I’m a burden now? Let me remind you who it was that made most of my important decisions for me over the past two years, cause it sure as hell wasn’t me,” Stephen spat back.

“You could’ve done whatever you wanted, Stephen. You made the choice to stay with me, and that’s how I am. You knew that going into this relationship.”

“I was doing what I wanted. I wanted to be with you. Now I see what a mistake that was. These past two years have been a mistake. Don’t talk to me again, fucking bitch. Have a great life,” Stephen said, leaving Leigh speechless. Never in his 18 years had he spoken to a girl like that. He had also never had his heart broken by someone he was planning on being with for the rest of his life. Shaking his head, he made his way back upstairs and out to his car, contemplating if he should still go to the party or not. Just as he was about to go home, his phone rang. It was his brother.

”Bro! Where are you? I know it’s still early, but this party is already in-“

“I’m not coming,” Stephen bluntly responded.

”What?! You have to come! Stephen, I’ve never seen so many girls in my life, they’re from everywhere around here. It’s nuts. Not that you care about them, but ya know.”

“Wait, are there that many girls? Maybe I will come. You have to meet me outside though. I don’t wanna show up alone.”

”Alone? What do you mean? And why do you care about girls?”

“Oh, right. Well, I just left Leigh’s house. She broke up with me. It seems I’ll be living the single life tonight, and you have to be my guide.”

”She broke up with you? Oh, yeah, that’s too bad…but welcome to my life now! I’ll be sure to show you a good time! Text me when you get here, okay? John said excitedly before hanging up.

“Fuck head,” Stephen mumbled to himself before setting off. He knew his friends hated Leigh, they’d be thrilled about the news John would undoubtedly spread within ten minutes. He had tried many times to show them the Leigh was a good person, but every time he’d try she would mess it up, only giving them more reason to dislike her.

Stephen decided to listen to Bright Eyes as he made the thirty minute commute to the party that night, figuring there’d be at least one song on the CD that fit his mood. He had no idea what would be in store for him, but he decided to not take this breakup personally, but as a flaw on Leigh’s part, and have fun tonight. He completely shut her out of his mind for the time being, swearing to never take her back.
♠ ♠ ♠
Woo, subscribers and comments! All from my friends probably, but ya know that's cool too. :)

I have a few more chapters written up and ready to go but I wanna get more comments before I post again, so it'd be awesome if you read to leave a comment, it could be a smiley face I don't care I would just like to know that people actually like this haha.