Sequel: Love By Our Side
Status: completed

Everything's Changing Now

get close to me.

“I can’t believe it’s finally my last day of high school!” Delaney exclaimed, jumping into her cousin’s car. “And my last weekend in this shitty town! Scottsdale, here I come! Well, in two days…”

Sophie laughed at her cousin’s eagerness to move closer to her boyfriend, and start college eight months earlier than most of her classmates. If she could, Sophie would go back to high school in an instant. She was only attending community college at the moment, but it was definitely kicking her ass. She was taking four gen-eds, as well as interning two days a week at a local veterinarian’s office and working as a hostess as many days a week as she could handle. There was also the problem of her boyfriend being two hours away.

She and Delaney were oddly enough dating two brothers, Stephen and John Gomez, who lived about two hours away from their town of Flagstaff, in Scottsdale. Delaney had an agreement of sorts with her parents that she could graduate early and move in with family friends of theirs, the Clearys, while attending Arizona State. As it was the last day of first semester, it was also Delaney’s last day of school. Even though she wasn’t leaving until Sunday, she had been completely packed since Monday. Everyone had thought that she and John wouldn’t last, but at seven months and still going strong, they were out to prove that they would.

Sophie and Delaney made the trip to Scottsdale to visit the boys more often than the other way around, as it was easier for Delaney, who had three core classes, to miss school than it was for John, who was still a junior and in all “important” classes. Sophie and Stephen both graduated the previous year, and while Sophie needed as many hours at work that she could get, she was more than wiling to give her hours to her coworkers so she could see her boyfriend. It had been hard, at first, for everyone to agree on times to visit, but eventually they got in the habit of missing certain things to see each other. Nearly every other weekend they were together up to this point, and over winter break the boys stayed with Sophie and Delaney for the week before Christmas. Sophie would be driving Delaney to Scottsdale on Sunday, then staying there for the last week of her winter break.

Sophie was debating whether or not she wanted to transfer to ASU to be closer to Stephen, but after she was hired for her veterinarian internship, she decided it was best to remain in Flagstaff until at least the end of her freshman year. She and Stephen were in a much different type of relationship than Delaney and John; they had both previously been hurt after long relationships, and agreed to take theirs slowly, opposed to John and Delaney who wanted to practically move in with each other after a month of dating. When Sophie was ready to live closer to Stephen, she would follow through on the action. Right now, the occasional weekend visits would suffice, though they would be more often now since Delaney was going to live close to Stephen.

Before June, Sophie and Delaney could barely stand each other. They both wanted to be closer to their cousin, but different personalities and conflicting interests kept them apart most of the time; each cousin’s view on how the summer would be spent were even completely different. Once they started hanging out with the same group of people, they had begun to grow closer to one another, and by the end of summer they were almost what you would consider best friends. Now that they were back in Flagstaff, with Sophie almost completely friendless, and most of Delaney’s friends back to their single, party-filled lives, the two grew even closer. Sophie was jealous that Delaney would be so close to the people she considered her best friends, though it was her choice to not join her cousin in the move. This move gave Sophie more reason to visit Scottsdale as often as possible, and she was okay with that.

“I’m picking you up today too, be out here and ready to go at the last bell. I have to work later,” Sophie reminded her cousin, who gave a nod of acknowledgement before rushing off to her last day of high school. Sophie continued on to her internship, wanting to get through the rest of the day and weekend as quickly as possible so she could see Stephen that Sunday.
♠ ♠ ♠
Know what this means?

Take a look up in the right corner. :)