Sequel: Love By Our Side
Status: completed

Everything's Changing Now

just wanna mess around.

When Stephen pulled up to the party, he noticed his brother and his friends and bandmates Jess and Brian waiting for him by the door. He parked a couple houses down, and walked up to greet them.

“Stephen! Hey, listen. Leigh’s a bitch. This breakup will be the best thing for you,” Jess hurriedly said while pulling Stephen into a hug. He glared at his brother, who just shrugged. Stephen knew he would tell everyone. It must have gotten around half the party by now, and if Leigh was coming still…he pushed the thoughts out of his head, he didn’t care right now.

“I’m not thinking about her anymore, and I’m here to have a good time. John, show me these girls you were talking about!” Stephen said through a forced smile. John patted him on the shoulder and led him into the party.

“Welcome to the party of the year, single man. Take your pick, I’ll look at the remaining,” John said, half joking.

Stephen knew he could have his pick of almost any girl here; it was well known that he was one of the most sought after boys at his school. He and his brother were both at the top of many girl’s lists, but for completely different reasons. Stephen was shy, quiet, and thoughtful, while John was loud, obnoxious, and wild. They shared a few characteristics, though, like respect for all and a sense of humor. John was more outright funny, with his crazy antics, and Stephen had a more subtle way of causing laughter. Not many had seen this side of him, it was something you had to earn. Both made offhanded comments that many could take as disrespectful unless they knew the boys.

Before Stephen could step into the kitchen, four girls had come up to talk to him. The news had gotten around much faster than he originally thought, and he made a mental note to kick his brother’s ass later on. Instead of making a move on anyone, he continued on to the kitchen and the liquor. He poured himself two shots of vodka and quickly did both, before he was joined by his other bandmate, Josh.

“Rough day, huh?” Josh questioned before pouring himself a shot and downing it. “Don’t let this girl get in her head, she’s not worth it. You must have gotten this talk from Jess and your brother already, but I’m letting you know again. Now, get out there and let everyone know you’re available!”

Stephen rolled his eyes as he quickly took another shot and walked away, not wanting to hear anything else from his idiotic friend. He got in on a game of flip the cup, making it three rounds before spilling on himself. He laughed, starting to finally enjoy himself. A few minutes later, he heard music starting as the whole party cheered, including himself. Starting to feel a buzz, he walked to where a mass of bodies had collected to start dancing. He didn’t recognize the song, but could feel the beat. He scanned the girls not paired with anyone until he noticed a girl, his brother’s age he thought, walk over to him.

“I heard about the breakup. I’m sorry,” the nameless girl said. Stephen couldn’t deny she was attractive, with her small stature and long almost black hair matched with light green eyes.

“Nah, don’t mention it. Tonight’s to help me forget about her,” Stephen replied, before making a motion asking the girl to dance. Smiling, she grabbed onto his waist and the pair started dancing.

After a few songs, they went back to the kitchen to pour more drinks. The girl, who Stephen still couldn’t seem to remember, handed him a red cup filled with a sweet smelling liquid. He sipped it while she downed hers and mixed another one. Not wanting to be outdone by a younger girl, Stephen quickly downed his as well. Grinning, the girl gave her new drink to him and made another for herself. Stephen started drinking this, which had much more liquor than the previous, and grabbed the girl’s hand and led her to the backyard. He spotted his brother who was talking to some girl he didn’t know, and John flashed him a quick thumbs up.

The two sat for a while, making almost incoherent conversation, until the girl grabbed Stephen’s hand and led him back into the house, upstairs and into a bedroom. On the way upstairs, he caught a glimpse of Leigh, whose eyes were wide in shock. He quickly turned away and made up the stairs faster. The two came to the first opened door and quickly shut it, making their way over to the bed. Soon, articles of clothing were strewn about the bed and floor and the two were under covers. Stephen suddenly shot up and gently pushed the girl off him. He rubbed his eyes and looked at the bewildered girl.

“Uh, I don’t think I’m ready for this. Sorry. I should, go,” he mumbled before collecting the clothing he was missing and making his way back downstairs. He ran into Josh, who clapped him on the shoulder before Stephen pushed him off.

“I didn’t do anything. I couldn’t do anything. I don’t know what’s wrong with me,” Stephen, exasperated, tried to explain.

“Dude, it’s no big deal. Go drink more, you’ll feel better,” Josh, ever ready with good advice, responded. Rolling his eyes again, Stephen made his way back outside and sat down. He checked his phone and saw it was already 3:30, and he wanted to sleep. Knowing there was no way he could drive, he stumbled into the dark, quiet basement where many other bodies seemed to be passed out. He found a spot on the floor and a couch cushion and made himself as comfortable as possible before falling asleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
I got a new subscriber, so you get another chapter. This is my favorite I've written so far, hope you like it too. :)

Please, please comment and subscribe.