Sequel: Love By Our Side
Status: completed

Everything's Changing Now

i'm leaving the city.

“Delaney! We need to go now!” Sophie screeched at her cousin for the third time in two minutes.

“I’m coming! Calm the fuck down! I actually have people I’d like to say goodbye to!” Delaney hollered back, instantly regretting the last sentence. Well, at least it shut Sophie up. Within the next to minutes, Delaney hugged all twelve of her “closest” friends goodbye, promising to escape for a weekend or month to come back. Delaney approached the taxi that would be taking the girls the two hours to Scottsdale.

“Are our parents really so ready to get rid of us that they hired someone else to take us?” Delaney asked with a laugh. Sophie just shrugged and crawled into the backseat of the car. Their parents were leaving for the airport in an hour and had sent the girls out earlier than originally planned to say goodbye to their friends. Sophie just instructed the driver to take them wherever Delaney wanted to go, that she had no one to say goodbye to.

As the drive started, Delaney fell asleep with her head against the window. Apparently 11 AM was too early for her. Laughing and shaking her head at her cousin, Sophie made herself comfortable and started reading Pride and Prejudice for the fourth time. She was a sucker for classics, and tried to avoid any book written in the past twenty years. Most of her favorite books were literature that was required reading in school, which made English her favorite class.

Sophie smiled as the taxi pulled into the driveway of the Cleary’s house. She had been coming here since she was a little girl; the Cleary’s and her parents had gone to high school together in Flagstaff, both got married the same year, and both had daughters at the same time. Veronica and Sophie had been decent friends until Veronica started dating her boyfriend, Dan, freshman year. The two had been together for nearly four years and acted just like a married couple. They were moving to Florida together in the fall, so Dan could attend University of Florida at Gainesville for pre-med. Veronica would also be away the majority of the summer at a special needs camp in California, where she had a job to prepare her for her college studies in special education.

“Sophie! Delaney! Girls, we’re so happy to have you here!” Mrs. Cleary called in her sing-song voice, pulling both girls into a hug. “You’ve changed so much since you last visited!”

“We were just here two months ago!” Delaney laughed. She, too, loved the Cleary’s and had been journeying to their house as long as Sophie had.

“Well, come in, lunch is about ready! Bill can help you get your luggage in you rooms!” Mrs. Cleary said, leading the girls in. Sophie could tell it was going to be a good summer.
------------------------------------
Sophie’s internship didn’t begin until the middle of their second week in Scottsdale, so she decided to take the first few days exploring. Veronica was with her boyfriend at his relative’s house for the week before she left, which left Sophie with the car. The morning of their second day there, June 12th, a Tuesday, Sophie called out to whomever was awake that she was leaving. She waited a few seconds for a reply, but after no one called back she settled on writing a note and sticking it on the fridge.

She hopped in the black Taurus and plugged her iPod in, selecting All Time Low to listen to. No matter how much of an intellectual she was, she was a closet pop-punk junkie. She could never bring herself to go to the shows for fear of being found out and mocked. In college, she was planning on changing this and only showing her true colors. As she cruised around, singing along to Coffee Shop Soundtrack, she spotted a diner that only boasted the sign “Open 24 Hours” on it. She decided to check the place out and grab a bite to eat. She ordered pancakes, holding the sausage, as she was a strict vegetarian.

A few booths in front of her, Sophie noticed a boy of about her age sitting and eating the same meal she had in front of her, sitting across from a slightly younger looking boy. He looked familiar, but she couldn’t imagine how she would know him. Not wanting to be caught staring, she quickly got back to concentrating on her food, fixing her gaze out the
window.
♠ ♠ ♠
Wow, three new subscribers? Thank guys! That's awesome. :)

This one's short, but stuff is finally starting to happen soon! Hope you like it.

comment/subscribe