Sequel: Love By Our Side
Status: completed

Everything's Changing Now

ready, set, go.

As Sophie pulled into the Cleary’s driveway, she noticed Delaney lying on a towel in a bathing suit on the front lawn. Rolling her eyes, she got out of the car and walked up to her cousin.

“We have plans tonight,” Sophie shouted so she could be heard over her cousin’s iPod.

“What? Plans? What kind? And with who?” asked Delaney, bewildered that her cousin could find anything to do in this so far God forsaken town.

“We’re going to a bonfire at this kid’s house, I met him when I went to breakfast. He lives right behind the Clearys, I’m assuming they’re nice enough people. He has a brother about your age,” Sophie replied, glad to have found something that seemed to spark Delaney’s interest.

“I get it. You think this kid is cute, don’t you? What’s his name?”

“That’s not the case at all, Delaney. I would like to meet some new people and make some friends down here, and he seems like that right kind of person to go with. His name is Stephen,” Sophie asked, trying to hide a blush. There was no way she would let her cousin think she liked someone, not after only being in Scottsdale for a day.

“Alright cuz, whatever you say.”
-----------------------------------
“Dude, she’s coming. It’s not even eight yet,” John said, startling his brother.

“What? I’m not even thinking about her, I just spaced out for a bit,” Stephen answered, annoyed that his brother knew him so well. Since 7:45 Stephen had been stealing glances at the clock. Now at 7:57, he could feel his heart beating faster at the thought of Sophie coming to his house. He hadn’t felt anything for any girl in over two years, not since he and Leigh had started dating, and it was exciting for him to have a new crush, even if he had just met the girl that day.

At 8:02, the doorbell finally rang. Stephen shot up, then caught himself from running to the door for fear of looking desperate.

“He’s got it bad this time, doesn’t he?” Jess directed the question at John, who just nodded.

“Shit, he hasn’t liked anyone since crushing on Leigh sophomore year. It’s about time he finds someone new,” whispered Josh. The rest of the group nodded in agreement. They wanted nothing more for their friend but for him to be happy.

Meanwhile, after Stephen gained his composure, he answered the door, greeted by Sophie and who he presumed to be her cousin, who, unfortunately for her, was exactly John’s type.

“Hey, Sophie! And…”

“Delaney. Pleasure to meet you, Stephen, Sophie has let me know about her crush on you, and it’s fine by me to pursue her. You definitely seem like the kind of guy she needs,” Delaney declared, to a much taken aback Stephen. Sophie just shook her head and made the crazy sign behind her cousin’s head, while in her head she vowed to kick Delaney’s ass later.

“Oh, right. Okay, hi Delaney,” Stephen mumbled, leading the two girls inside. “Guys, these are Sophie and Delaney, Sophie and Delaney, these are the guys. And Jess.”

“Hey! I’m one of the guys, too!” Jess chimed, then going up and hugging both girls. “We only hug here-and it’s gonna be awesome to have other girls to hang out with this summer,” she whispered to Sophie and Delaney.

“Hey, what about the rest of us? Don’t we get introductions?” asked Josh, mocking hurt. “I’m Josh, and I’m probably the coolest one here. That’s Brian, John, Taylor, Adam, and Slade. They’re okay I guess, but not Brian. We only use him for his vocal abilities.” The girls laughed, noting Josh was the jokester of the group. The rest of the guys simply waved, but two of them spoke up for themselves.

“Ha, funny. Thanks for the originality there Josh, you’ve never used that line before. Anyways, I’m Brian like the asshole said, and if we’re not hanging out at the Gomez household, we’re usually at mine,” Brian stated, as he shot Josh a glare.

“I feel I should introduce myself personally to such lovely looking girls. I’m John, and even though I’m the younger brother of the most attractive 2007 graduate, I think I have him beat in looks,” claimed John, kissing Delaney and Sophie’s hands. Sophie noted that he was the “suave” one, and looked to see her cousin blushing by her side. Sophie decided that she would try to set up these two, and she’d ask Stephen for help.

“There are more people coming later, but we can go out by the fire now,” called Stephen from the backyard, where he’d just set up the fire pit.

As everyone shuffled outside, Sophie walked over to Stephen and thanked him for inviting them tonight.

“Nah, it’s no big deal. We do stuff like this all the time, it’ll be nice to change up the group. Plus, you seem like a pretty cool girl, and my brother seems to like your cousin,” Stephen smiled, referring to John and Delaney who had taken seats next to each other and were already involved in a lively conversation.

“Well, Delaney needs a guy in her life, so her meeting your brother may be a very good thing,” Sophie chuckled.

“Wait, you’re trying to set your cousin up with someone? That was my goal for the summer, I mean for my brother, though. He flits around from girl to girl and hasn’t been able to find anyone he really likes yet. As soon as I saw your cousin I knew she was his type. We should hook them up,” Stephen suggested.

“I’m 100%, completely with you. Delaney’s the same way as your brother, I don’t think she’s kept a boyfriend longer than two months in her whole life.”

“This is perfect. It looks like they hit it off anyway, we just have to make sure that’s kept up. Come on, let’s go by the fire. I brought out marshmallows, and we should be getting some alcohol within the hour. Do you drink?”

Not sure how to answer the question, Sophie just gave a little head shake and smiled. She had sworn off all poisons this summer, but if this is how her new friends had fun, she may have to join in anyways.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well damn, I keep getting new subscribers, so I guess I'll post early! Stuff's finally starting to happen, comment and tell me what you think of Stephen and Sophie's interactions!

Thanks again for reading. :)