Until The End

Born Like This

Mom put her arms around me, and I did the same to her. I closed my eyes and just sat there for a moment, letting the nostalgia flow out of me. I stepped away after awhile.

"Mom, how'd you get here?" I asked.

"Johnny picked me up at the airport," Mom replied.

"This was his surprise? God, I love that man."

"Clearly!" Mom touched my stomach and added, "How far along now? Three months?"

"I'll be in my second trimester in two weeks."

"Oh, this is so exciting! I get to be a grandma!"

"You want to be a grandma?"

"Of course I do! I went for seven years thinking you'd never have kids. You know how blessed I feel, both for you and me?"

I smiled and hugged her again. "I've missed you, Mom." Worriedly, I asked, "Where's Dad?"

"His best friend is in the hospital with a terminal illness," Mom explained. "I told him you wouldn't mind if he couldn't come. Besides, you know how close he and Freddy were."

"Freddy Wilson? He's dying? Dammit, he was so nice."

"An odd friend for your father, for sure, but he was a sweetheart."

"I'm sorry."

"Meh, let's get on with it. How's everyone been out here in beautiful Huntington?"

"It's been wonderful, Mom. Actually, Brian's found himself a girl now."

"Really? Do tell?"

We sat down on the couch, and I told her all about Sam and how Brian couldn't stand that she lived so far away. I told her how both Naomi and Johnny were expecting me to have a girl, and that led into a discussion about Naomi and Jimmy. It was almost eleven by the time Johnny came downstairs and interrupted us.

His hair was in disaray, and his eyes were only half open. He smiled when he saw me and Mom talking, and he leaned down and kissed me.

"See you've found your surprise," he said.

"Yes, yes I did," I replied. "I love it."

"Happy early birthday, Lissa," he said.

I smiled and said, "Alright. Matt's probably dying to see you more than I am. We should go over for lunch."

"I'll make something for them," Mom said. "I've missed that boy. He's so much like a son."

To myself, I thought, That'd be extremely awkward because we fucked.

I grimaced and kissed Johnny again. He squeezed my shoulder gently and left to change. My mom was smiling to herself, and she rested her chin in her hand.

"What?" I said.

"Nothing," she replied. "I just love how last time I saw you, you weren't sure how you felt with him. Clearly you have an understanding now."

"Of course," I said. "I love Johnny more than anything."

"I know you do, hun," Mom sighed. "And I know you'll both be wonderful parents."

I smiled and said, "How long are you staying?"

"I was thinking a couple weeks," my mom said. "I'll be back for the wedding of course. Whenever that will be." She chuckled.

"Well, I don't want to buy a dress and then have it not fit," I protested.

"I'm just giving you shit, Lissa."

I nodded, and Johnny rejoined us. He took my hand, and I smiled. Mom looked between the two of us and also smiled. I knew she was happy for us, especially knowing how Johnny had stuck by me even after I fucked every one of his friends.

"We should get over there," I sighed. "Matt's probably more anxious to see you than I was."

Mom nodded in agreement and said, "That boy..."

We all shared a little laugh, knowing Matt actually was going to be glad to have Christine Turner back for a couple weeks. Who wouldn't? My mom was the nicest woman you'd ever meet.

"We all missed you," Johnny said to my mother.

"And I've missed all of you," Mom replied.
♠ ♠ ♠
Matt's just gonna flip. Haha!

You know what goes here? This is where I tell you to "comment!" XD