Until The End

American Slang

Still a little groggy the next afternoon, I opened my eyes. I pulled myself up, and I looked around. Johnny stood talking with Matt by the window, and Brian was sitting beside my bed. I smiled at him, but I continued to look around.

"Where's Naomi?" I asked.

"She went into labor about an hour ago," Brian explained. "Jimmy and Sam are with her. She decided if she couldn't have you, she would have Sam." He chuckled and shook his head.

"Is everything alright?" I said.

"Yeah, except the babies will be a few months early, so they'll have to stay a little longer than Emma," said Brian.

"I hope Naomi will be alright," I sighed.

"I'm sure she'll be fine," Brian said with a smile. "Sam's updating me when she can. Last I heard, Naomi hadn't dilated more than a couple centimeters."

"Have they given her anything?"

"They can't yet. They'll give her the epidural when she's almost ready for them to actually...come out."

"I'll bet Jimmy's having a cow right now."

"Oh, I'm sure," Brian chuckled.

There was a small silence between us then, and I wondered if I should say something. Johnny laughed at something Matt said, bringing me away from any need to break what silence there was. Brian rested a hand on mine.

"Emma's a beautiful baby girl, Liss," he said. "You and Johnny are going to have fun raising her."

"Thanks, Bri," I said, smiling. "It means a lot. Especially since a few months ago she was just that thing."

"Yeah, I'm sorry about that," Brian said. He ran a hand through his hair and said, "Really, I am."

"Well, don't worry about it too much," I replied. "I know you didn't mean anything by it."

The phone rang, but Johnny picked it up. I didn't listen to who it was. Instead, I lay my head against the pillow and smiled at Brian.

"Think you and Sam will ever have kids?" I asked.

"I'm not sure," sighed Brian. "I hope we can have half of what you and Short Shit have."

I smiled and opened my mouth, but I was cut off by Johnny handing me the phone.

"It's your mom," he said.

I took the phone and said, "Hello?"

Brian motioned he was leaving, and I thanked him silently again. He winked at me.

"Lissa, is everything alright?" came my mother's voice. "Johnny told me you were at the hospital. Did you have the baby?"

"I did," I said.

"Well, what did you name it?" Mom asked.

"Her name is Emma," I said. "Mom, she's the most beautiful little thing I've ever seen. Just wait 'til you see her. When are you coming back?"

"We can try to get a flight next week, if you'd like," Mom answered.

"That'd be wonderful, really," I said. "How's it feel to be a grandma?"

"Oh, I suppose I don't know yet," sighed Mom. "It doesn't feel like I am."

"I'll have Johnny get a couple pictures and send them to you," I said. "She's just such a beautiful little girl."

"I'm sure I'd like that very much. I'll call you when we get flights booked, alright? Tell Matthew to stay out of trouble."

I silently gagged and said, "Sure, Mom. I'll talk to you soon."

"I love you, Lissa," Mom said.

"Love you, too," I said.

She hung up, and I did the same. Johnny and Matt were looking expectantly at me, and I shrugged.

"They're gonna try to fly down next week," I said.

"That's great!" Johnny said. "What did she say about Emma?"

"I told her you'd send a few pictures if you could," I said. "Get on it."

"I will," he laughed, kissing my forehead.

I stopped him and said, "Check on Naomi, will you? I'm worried."

"I'm sure she'll be fine," Johnny said. "But I'll check."

"Thank you," I said.

Matt sat down beside me and asked, "Is your dad coming too?"

"Yes, you fucking pervert!" I snapped, smacking his arm.

He didn't reply, just sat back, smiling silently. If he tried anything with my mother again, he'd be six feet under in less than twenty seconds.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry I haven't been on top of these. >.<

Comments? :}