Until The End

Demonoid Phenomenon

I was released after a couple days. My incision healed nicely, and I was assured they would release Emma in a few days if she was in good health. So far, she'd been taking milk in just fine and she was on a fairly regular sleeping schedule.

Johnny had taken interest in buying a stuffed animal from the hospital gift shop every day. So far, he'd collected a yellow elephant, a purple bunny, a pink kitten, and a purple bear. Emma seemed to be getting spoiled already, and she was barely breathing on her own.

Zacky had found a new interest as well. The nurse that had been taking care of me in the afternoon, Jemini, had caught his eye. He'd begun to call her Jemmy and had bought her every meal for the last three days. Each day I watched her protest, but he'd bring her something anyway.

Naomi had given birth to a boy, Alex, and a girl, Lita. I had spent the entire morning with her. She hadn't been able to see either of them yet, and I could see it was killing her. They were born even earlier than Emma was, but Naomi was assured that today would be the day.

I was wandering the halls now, enjoying a little time to myself. I walked by the nursery and stopped when I saw Jimmy standing at the glass. His arms were crossed and he was leaning against the frame. I nudged him, and he looked over at me.

"Hey," I said, sitting down. "Whatcha doin'?"

"Watching the kids," Jimmy replied. "Thinking."

"Oh, look out!" I chuckled.

He faintly smiled, and I pinched his arm lightly.

"Come on, Jimmy," I said. "What's up?"

"He doesn't look like me," he said, nodding to Alex.

"Well, there's some of Naomi in him, too," I said. "You're not the only one that contributed."

"No, I mean, he doesn't look like me at all. Lita at least looks like she might be related to me. Maybe they switched the name things. I don't wanna take home someone else's kid. That one over there looks more like me than this one."

I glanced to where he was looking and frowned.

"Jimmy?"

"Yeah?"

"That baby's black."

"...I know."

I scratched my head and shrugged. "I'm sure you're fine, Jim," I said.

"I mean, I watched him come out of Naomi's vagina, screaming, so obviously he's my kid," Jimmy said.

"The black one?" I asked.

"Alex," Jimmy said. "Come on, Liss, keep up."

"Jimmy, he's your son," I replied. I touched his arm and added, "How could he not be?"

"I know," Jimmy sighed. "Oh, look, look, look." He pointed to Lita and said, "She's gonna be a drummer. Just look at those feet."

I smiled and said, "Just like her daddy."

"Just like me," he said.

It was silent for a minute, his eyes flicking between Lita and Alex and the black baby. I resisted laughing.

"I'm gonna go get something to drink," I said instead. "You want anything?"

"Nah, I'm good," Jimmy said.

I turned and left him there. Truth of the matter was, I wasn't thirsty. I wasn't going to get a drink. I wasn't even going to the cafeteria.

I hadn't thought to ask Naomi about the paternity test until now.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it took me so long. I've been lax on this story, and I am really sorry. Hope this one was okay.

Comments?