Status: Active. Unless no one likes it.

Set Her Free

o n e

She closed her emerald eyes, blinking slowly.
“What the hell are you doing, Hayden?” her father bellowed from above her, waking her from a pleasant fantasy. She had been in another world, another place.
The girl swallowed, but did not speak.
“I’m talking to you.” His jaw clenched.
This love is a game to you.
“I’m sorry.” She whispered, standing up. She looked down to where her bottom had left a small imprint in the worn carpet.
“Working on the job again?” he shook his head. “Why the fuck do you do this to me?”
“I’m sorry.” Hayden said again.
“Sorry isn’t good enough.” He smirked, before a brief growl arrived from his throat. His mouth opened, and spit shot out like lightening, striking the girl on her cheek.
She whimpered, knowing he would strike her if she tried to remove the saliva.
“I expect everything to be done by the time I arrive home.” Hayden’s father held out his arm. The girl scurried to the corner, quickly taking her father’s jacket, and handing it to him.
“Yes,” she nodded tentatively.
“Yes, sir.” he corrected.
“Yes, sir.” Hayden murmured.
“Goodbye, Hayden.” He trumped to the door of their small cottage, slamming it behind him with a loud thud.
She ran to lock the door behind him, sighing with relief, and wipingthe wteness from her cheek.
Hayden walked calmly to the other side of the room. The dirty white carpet cushioned her bare feet with every step.
She reached the wooden wall on the far side of the door, and pushed her father’s clothes chest to her right. Her fingers delicately traced the engraved letters.
I will watch over you.
Her mother’s hand had carved these words so many years ago, before everything. Before the fights, the blood, the heartbreak.
“I miss you.” Hayden whispered.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please, comment.