As You Wish.

A Hint of Sadness.

Sophia, with a hard set face and frustration still flowing through her veins, walked through the thick maze of the labyrinth with Jack hot on her heels. The ring that now rested on her finger felt like an anchor chaining her to the sea floor, she wanted to rip it off and throw it far, far away, to be caught in the wind and be lost forever.

"If I knew any better, I would assume you were upset." Jack's taunting voice said behind her, a smirk plastered on his face as he found immense amusement in the princess being so distraught. He thought she looked particularly cute when she was so unable to control her emotions.

"Then it is to be assumed that you no nothing at all," Sophia said with her chin jutting out, she tried to keep her composure, but she was already certain that being stuck with Jack would be one of the most challenging things that came with becoming queen. "I want nothing more than to leave you to be lost in this labyrinth." She mumbled under her breath.

Jack snickered, "And what would your mother say if she heard her little princess mumbling, not very lady-like I'm sure she'd agree."

Sophia's fingers curled into her palms as she tried to contain herself from an outburst that Jack would only use against her. It seemed as if anything she said would only be turned around by him as he twisted her words. This was the most anger she'd felt toward any stranger before, and you could say she did not like it one bit.

His constant pestering was making it hard to focus on which turns to take in the elaborate maze they were both trapped in. Everything she did, he had a comment to make about it. Be it the way she walked, the way she constantly looked toward the sky, her posture, how often she licked her lips even, it was becoming more than annoying.

"Mister Malloy!" Sophia suddenly said in a hushed yell, "Your constant bickering is making it undeniably hard to maneuver through these tangle of paths and I fear I've taken a wrong turn." She said before taking in a soothing breath, "So, pardon me, but please refrain from talking for the next few moments."

Jack rolled his eyes as he walked on past Sophia who had stopped and turned to talk to him, "I don't know what your going on about Princess, the exit is right here." He said, his smirk once again taking refuge on his face as he turned to see Sophia looking on at him with squinted eyes.

As Jack walked out of the labyrinth, Sophia was soon to follow after, lifting the hem of her skirt to catch up with her husband to be, "Does that mean this is the conclusion of our tour?" She asked hopefully, silently praying that she could leave him and venture out on her normal daily routines.

"Of course not." Jack answered, Sophia's face falling just as soon. "We'll finish up after we tell our parents of our engagement." Jack smirked, watching as a look of pure horror and detest took place upon Sophia's face. You could say that her strong dislike toward him made Jack want to bug her more, he was beginning to adore her reactions.

With his lopsided grin in place, Jack held out his arm for Sophia to take, which, with a glare and a grimace she did, leaving the two to make their way toward up to the room where both of their families were still watching them like hawks.

"Do you see a ring?" Rosalinda asked someone, anyone who was able to see that far away. Every single one of them, Stephen, Charles, Olivia, Lucinda and Rosalinda nearly had their noses pressed upon the glass of the window as they tried to determine whether or not their kingdom would need to prepare for a wedding.

"It's too far, but their arms are linked..." Charles began, squinting as he tried to focus on the princess' hand, but his eye sight had been failing him for years, and it was no use. "Do you think-" He began to say, before he was interrupted by his sisters hand, which halted him from saying anymore.

"The princess and my nephew are engaged." Lucinda announced in a most certain tone, folding her palms over one, lifting her chin up as she kept her eyes on the distance.

"How do you know?" Rosalinda asked in an eager and excited voice, clapping her hands together as she looked toward Lady Lucinda with so much happiness.

Lucinda folded her hands over one another in front of her, before straightening her back and turning on her heel, her gold and emerald dress trailing after her as she took her slow and graceful steps toward the loveseat. After pouring herself a cup of tea, blowing away the heat and taking a sip, she looked up and turned her attention to the queen.

"Look at the princess' posture." She told the four of them as they all twisted toward the window to scrutinize the young princess.

"It's perfect." The king announced.

Confusion raked across everyone's faces except for Lucinda, the rest of them were still lost as to what Sophia's posture had to do with anything. "Yes, it is." Lucinda agreed, "But look closer, she is much more ridged, she stands straighter than usual. Her posture says it all."

"And it's saying that they are engaged?" Olivia asked carefully, hoping not to be scolded even though she could keep her own. Lucinda nodded, turning her head to the door. Lucinda had been watching the princess. She knew with much certainty that Sophia had been oblivious to the pending engagement or why her family had come to the palace at all.

She knew from experience that when something as serious as marriage came about, especially for Sophia who was destined to be queen, even the most practiced of princesses wouldn't be able to hide the horror of having to marry a stranger. "The reality," Lucinda said slowly, "that one day she is going to rule this country has finally begun to settle in her mind. Her rigidness is only a veil to hide her thoughts."

"Oh Stephen, our Sophia is engaged!" Rosalinda cheered excitedly, clapping her hands together as she continued to watch her daughter and Jack make their way toward the palace steps.

"Now, now Rose." The king said sternly, "You mustn't give her the slightest indication that we know. Otherwise knowing Sophia she won't speak to us for ages."

The four adults all agreed on the matter, talking about how they must seem pleasantly surprised. Olivia on the other hand, knew their efforts would go to no use. She knew how frank her brother was, and was certain he'd asked the princess in the most simple and appalling way. He didn't realize what an honor it was, to be chosen to rule the country by the king and queen themselves and Olivia loathed him for it.

At present, Sophia shared the same feelings. It took all her power to keep her composure as she walked with Jack back toward the palace, their arms linked together. She could feel the eyes of the gardeners, and as they walked into the large entrance hall, the eyes off all the butlers and maids burned into her skin.

Every step she took felt like a thousand pounds chaining her to the floor, but she continued to pick up her feet, step after step. Her arm, linked with Jack's felt dull and numb. But even her instant distaste for the boy couldn't mask the feeling of absolute sadness running through her veins.

And when the butler opened the door to her fathers study, the eager eyes of her mother, the proud look from her father both settling on her immediately, she knew her life would never be the same.
♠ ♠ ♠
I forgot how much I love this story.

Going to try and start updating it again!

Xox, Roux.