As You Wish.

In Place of a Ring.

Port Sapphire wasn't like Emerald Valley, where the royal family lived. Although Emerald Valley held one of the largest cities in all of Amaterasu, there was a feel to Port Sapphire that just couldn't be matched.

Perhaps it was the way you could smell the crisp ocean from even the tallest peak of the mountainside town, or the way the streets filled with people from the moment the sun rose, all the way until it set along the sparkling waters. Or maybe it was the port, and the great wooden ships that occupied its docks. Or perhaps it was the way, that from wherever you stood in Port Sapphire, if you were only to look up, you would always be able to see Sapphire Palace looming high above the entire town from its place at the very top of the mountain.

It was a mountainside, cliff side, seaside (what have you) town you see. The town itself rested just before the docks, filled with extravagant shops, warm bakeries, and beautiful streets. From there, the cliffs began to rise. This is where all the houses were.

They lined the mountainside, roads twisting from left to right, seemingly stacked upon each other until you got high enough to where all the bigger houses were. It was a very hierarchical system. The closer you were to the top, the better off you were. Therefore, you can imagine by the time the royal caravan had made its way to the large and looming gates of Sapphire Palace... they felt right at home.

Sophia peered out the window as the carriages came to a stop. The sun shone brightly as her eyes followed the red carpet up the marble steps of Sapphire Palace. There, waiting on the steps was a crowd of people. These were the maids and butlers of the palace, and joined with them at the very bottom of the steps was the Duke and Duchess of Sapphire and Prince Lucas of Sapphire.

Sophia's eyes sparkled when they met those of her cousin Lucas. She was told he wasn't going to be in Sapphire during their visit, which had made Sophia feel even worse off about the entire trip. But now that he was here she nearly forgot all the troubling things that had happened lately, that is, until she heard someone knocking on the door of the other side of the carriage.

Sophia, Olivia, and Jack all turned their heads as the tapping noise filled their ears to find the Queen looking at Sophia. Jack unlatched the door knob and swung the carriage door open for the hurried Queen.

"Quick Sophia!" Rosalinda demanded as she leaned into the carriage with her hand outstretched, "Your ring, give it here. No one must see it!" She exclaimed in a whisper, her fingers flexing quickly as she emphasized the hurry.

Sophia stitched her eyebrows together as her eyes fell to the ring on her hand. The ring felt like a weight as Olivia and Jack's eyes glued to it just as hers did. Slowly, without question Sophia wrung the ring off her finger, lifting her chin up as she dropped the gem into her mother’s outstretched hand.

The queen closed her fingers around the small band before retreating from the carriage and closing the door, the next second she was standing next to Sophia's father as he got out of their carriage. Slightly confused, Sophia, Olivia and Jack sat in a short silence as they wondered why the queen had demanded the ring.

But too soon there was a tap on the carriage door, this time on Sophia's side, the smiling face of their carriage attendant looking at them as he pulled the door open and offered his hand for Sophia to take. Pursing her lips lightly before giving him a faint smile, Sophia placed her hands in his as she pulled herself out of the carriage.

The sun shone brightly as it warmed Sophia's bare back, her dress skirt sweeping against the cobble stone ground as she stepped to her left to stand next to her father. Within the next few seconds, Olivia and Jack met Sophia on her right, and Lady Lucinda and Charles joined the queen on her left.

Sophia looked up to meet the eyes of her cousin Lucas just as the Duke of Sapphire spoke, "What a great honor it is to have you here, brother." He said with a warm smile.

The King replied by walking toward the Duke and engulfing him in a large hug. It was then the Duchess of Sapphire moved forward to greet the Queen, along with Charles and Lucinda, and Lucas strode toward Sophia and the two other teenagers.

Unlike Sophia, Lucas had inherited bright blonde hair from both of his parents. Although the King's was once as blonde as Lucas is, Rosalinda had passed down her dark hair to her daughter. Therefore, with his blonde hair, blue eyes, and towering 6'2" figure, Lucas and Sophia looked far from related. Lucas was a year and a half older than Sophia, but they had always been close.

"Princess." Lucas said as he flashed his bright smile. He held his hand out and Sophia placed hers inside it before he lifted it to his lips and placed a kiss on it. In return Sophia flashed him a large smile. "Looking as lovely as always." Lucas nodded.

Sophia raised her chin in mock superiority, "Yes, it's very nice to see you again, Prince Lucas. You haven't changed a bit." She commented, although within the next moment Sophia had let out a laugh. Thus her attempt at being formal with Lucas failed and she engulfed him in hug.

"Sophia!" The queens voice suddenly screeched, loud enough only for Sophia and Lucas to hear, so Sophia rolled her eyes and retracted from Lucas. Knowing already that Rosalinda would scold her for being too personal with him.

Sophia couldn't help herself though; Lucas was one of the only people in her family she genuinely enjoyed. But she held herself back for she knew well enough a problem on this trip would do no one good. Curiously, Rosalinda wasn't the only one a bit off put by Sophia's behavior. Jack stood with his hands folded behind his back as he watched the scene unfold before him with a rigid stance. He hadn't seen Sophia react to anyone the way she did with Lucas, and although he knew they were simply family, he wondered why.

Olivia, on the other hand, was fixated on Lucas. She shook her fan in front of her face as she watched the Prince and Princess talk, a smirk of plotting gracing her face only until Lucas turned his attention to her with bright eyes.

"And who might these two be?" He asked as his eyes moved between the two Malloy children.

Sophia's smile dropped slightly as she said, "These are the Malloy's. Olivia and Jackson, children of Charles and Amelia..." She hesitated, "Acquaintances of the family."

Lucas' eyebrows rose as he looked at Olivia and then back to Sophia, "I am the family, you won't trick me as easily as you hope dear Sophie." He smirked tauntingly, "I'm well aware that this is your fiancé and your future sister in law. No secrets here." He reminded before taking Olivia's hand and kissing it just as he did Sophia's, "Miss Malloy, it’s a pleasure, really." Lucas said before smiling brightly at her.

Sophia held back a disgusted look as Olivia giggled, and Lucas held out his hand to Jack, "Jackson is it?" Lucas asked as they shook.

"Jack." He replied.

"Very nice to meet you." Lucas nodded, "It'll be good to have another gent around, gets a bit dull around here sometimes." He said as he lifted his head to look at the large palace behind him, a hint of sarcasm in his voice.

Jack smiled widely at him, "Can't imagine how."

They continued to stand outside until Sophia had greeted the Duke and Duchess and they had all been acquainted with one another. Shortly following their arrival, the royal family along with the Malloy's were ushered into the palace, shown their rooms and let loose to get settled for their stay.

The adults had headed to the back garden for a cup of tea and a catch up, while the teenagers settled into their bedrooms. Olivia had been complaining about the long journey and insisted she bathed. Anyone, however, could see she simply wanted an excuse to tidy herself for Lucas, who was due for archery lessons anyways. Jack had decided to join him, which left Sophia to take in her large room alone. A fact she was most grateful for.

Unfortunately, her seclusion was short lived. For moments after she had stepped out onto her balcony, there was a knock at the door. The butlers had arrived with her bags along with a few maids to put away all her clothes. Deciding she'd rather leave them to their work, Sophia ventured out into the hall and took the familiar path to the library.

She opened the large oak door and almost immediately she was overcome with the smell of leather and books. As she let the door shut behind her, she gained the attention of Harold, the library keeper.

"Princess, how great to see you again." He bowed as Sophia approached the large leather chair he stood in front of.

"You as well." Sophia smiled.

"I've taken some of your favorites from the shelves and put them here," He said as he touched the stack on books on the small table next to the chair, "Right next to your favorite chair, in your favorite line of light." Harold smiled.

Being a princess did have its perks, Thought Sophia as she thanked Harold profusely before taking her seat. Harold left her to herself and Sophia picked up a book, running her fingers along the spine and opening it before sighing contently.

The one thing she loved most about Sapphire Palace was that their library was nearly half the size bigger than her own library back home. When she was younger she used to insist on sitting directly under the skylight in the center of the library. So much, that Harold had caught on quite quickly and had them bring in a large leather chair there just for her. Now every time she visited the chair sat in the same spot waiting for her.

She began to read as she sunk lower into her chair, ignoring the little voice inside her head that told her her mother would scold her if she saw her lack of posture. She smiled as she relished the fact that her mother would be quite preoccupied for the next several hours, which meant no time to pay attention to her.

However, with the sound of a door opening echoing through the library, Sophia shot straight up as fear that her mother had been able to read her thoughts coursed through her. She shut her book as she tried to peer around a book shelf from her seat, hoping to see who had entered.

In the next minute, however not to Sophia's delight, Jack walked out of one of the many book shelves before stopping suddenly when he noticed Sophia sitting in the chair.

"Pardon Princess," He said with a small smirk, "Got a little lost."

Sophia said nothing in return, but instead stared at him without interest.

Jack rose an eyebrow, "Silent are you? I must have interrupted a very important part of the story." He said as his eyes glinted with amusement.

Sophia kept her silence.

"Alright, alright." Jack laughed, "Care to point me in the direction of the archery field?" He asked, but once again Sophia chose not to reply. Instead, she turned her head to the left until her eyes landed on the field where in the distance; you could see Lucas walking with his bow. Jack followed her eyes and flashed a smile, "Much appreciated."

Sophia pursed her lips as Jack strode past her and toward the door on the opposite side of the room, she had opened her book again and nearly let the expression leave her face until Jack stopped again and turned around.

"Oh Princess!" He exclaimed, "I nearly forgot!"

Sophia sighed loudly, "What is it?" She asked impatiently.

"She speaks." Jack commented, his smirk still plastered on his face. He moved to stand in front of Sophia and then reached in his pocket as if to grab something, however his face turned into that of confusion as his hand came out with nothing. He tried is other pocket, then his coat pockets before holding his lapel up to reach into his inside pocket.

With a bit of difficultly, he finally pulled out a tin black square box. Sophia's eyes widened slightly with curiosity as he brushed his hands against it. His deep blue eyes almost appeared green as they racked over the box. Then suddenly he held out his hand for Sophia, "Mind standing for a moment?" He asked.

Sophia stared at him unconvincingly, but obliged by setting her book on the table beside her and taking his hand. A wave of heat flashed over her as she stood, realizing their proximity. She also seemed to feel that way whenever Jack was near; he seemed to have a way of making her flustered simply for the fact that she felt like she should always be on her guard around him.

"I was saving this for later." Jack said pointedly as he continued to look at the box, before flashing his eyes to Sophia's nearly making her stop breathing at the intensity in his eyes, "But I thought with your mother taking the ring from you, that you could have it now..." He trailed off.

Sophia swallowed, her expression full of uncertainty up until Jack finally opened the black box. Instantaneously Sophia's expression turned to awe as she gazed upon the necklace placed delicately inside. There was a single pearl hanging from a thin gold chain, accompanied only by a small amethyst to add color.

Sophia's mouth opened slightly as she took in the jewelry, but in the next second she washed the expression from her face to avoid giving Jack the satisfaction he most definitely expected.

"That is quite kind of you." She murmured as she tore her eyes away from the present.

Jack smiled broadly as he took the necklace from the box, "Here, I'll put it on you." He said. Sophia sighed once more before turning around and lifting her hair so he could place it on her.

The cool metal chilled her skin, but Jack's fingers felt like fire as he struggled to lack the necklace behind her. Not quick enough, but just as soon, Sophia dropped her hair again and turned to Jack as he tucked the box back into his coat.

"Thank you." She said simply.

Jack smiled and turned his head to the side, "You're quite welcome." He said, and with that he turned, shoving his hands in his pocket as he strode away triumphantly with a grin on his face and out the library door.

Sophia stood fixed for a second and wondered how Jack always seemed to be so amused after every encounter they had. She reached up and delicately touched the pearl and amethyst with her finger tips, letting them grace the cool gems before retracting her hand and taking her seat once again.

She opened her book and began to read, hoping to shake the thoughts of Jack from her head as quickly as they occurred
♠ ♠ ♠
I love writing this story, I really do :)
More updates to come, Promise!
Hope you all are enjoying! Please comment!

Xox, Roux.