I don't need you

I'm not one of your friends

Sitting on the edge of the cliff my legs dangling off the edge I wipe a falling tear from my cheek, I've been here since I walked out of school over an hour and a half ago. Hearing approaching footsteps behind me I already know it's Joe.
"If you're here to say I told you so, I'd rather you didn't." I said not bothering the turn around.
"I'm not, I want to make sure you're ok. Even though you don't want me to." he sighed sitting next to me.
"You want me to say it don't you?" I muttered
"I don't know what you're-"
"You were right ok, Calvin was the guy that tried to rape me. There I said it, are you happy? Are you satisfied Joe?" I suddenly shouted
"Why are you yelling at me?"
"Because I'm angry. I really liked him and- it doesn't matter. This is why I don't socialize with people anymore. They're all lying, manipulative, selfish-"
"Will you stop saying that!" Joe shouted "Not everybody is like that Erica."
Not answering I continue staring out "Look Calvin is a prick and what I did was wrong and I'm sorry for that. I'm sorry for not helping you when it came to trusting people. I know I've destroyed that for you but you can't keep taking it out on everyone else just because of what two immature teenage boys did to you."
Feeling Joe's hand on my back I look at him, I really hope he's being sincere. He looks it, but then again he looked sincere the first time. "I got into college." I said before looking back at the ocean.
"That's great, I didn't even know you applied."
"No one does."
"So why are you telling me?"
"I don't know." I shrugged
I could sense Joe still staring at me "I know you might not be able to trust me again, but I'm here if you wanna talk." he said
"Thank you."
Where did that come from?! I did not mean to thank him, now he's gonna think it's ok to be around all the time-
"I know it's a bit of a random time to ask, but.... are you going to prom?" he asked taking me a little off guard.
"Don't know, haven't thought about it." I answered finally looking at him again, not really sure of what he wants.
"Oh, well some of us are going as a group and if you want.... you can come with us."
"You know prom is months away right?"
"Yea but you have to plan ahead. So what do say?"
Oh god what have I gotten myself into? This is what happens when I thank people by mistake! Well I guess this is the time to straighten things out.
"Look Joe.... If what I say comes out sounding really mean and ungrateful, I'm sorry because it's not supposed to. I just want to be honest."
"Ok, what is it?"
"I'm not one of your friends, I'm never going to be one of your friends and I would really appreciate it if you would stop treating me like one." I sighed
"You want me to stop treating you like my friend?" he said looking confused and a little hurt.
"Yea, I know it sounds stupid but what you don't realize is that you're messing with my head. One minute I'm opening up to you and then the next I'm telling you to leave me alone. Joe I don't know who I trust anymore, and it's because I don't know if people are talking to me because of you or because they just wanna be nice to me. Prime example being Calvin I thought I could trust him, but obviously I was wrong." I explained
"Erica look. Your life was pretty screwed up before I got here, I made it worse and I'm sorry for that. I didn't mean to hurt you with the bet and everything, and I didn't mean to get you mixed up in random drama which by the way you did a really good job of sorting out, I mean you got rid of Calvin really easily."
I laughed a little, wiping another tear from my face. "Anyway, I know that you said you don't want me getting involved in your life or treating you like my friend, but-"
"No Joe, no buts. Buts equal options and I don't want options, I'm happy to call you if I need to talk but that's it. No more then that."
"Ok, ok. Calm down." he laughed "but-"
"No-" I interrupted again
"Just let me finish." he said cover my mouth with his hand "But if you want, I'm not saying you have to, but if you want. You're welcome to come back and live at my house."
"What?" I said through his hand, he uncovered my mouth so I could speak. "Joe I'm not moving back in with you." I continued
"Ok, that's fine. I'm not going to pressure you into it, but only because I don't want you freaking out on me again. But if you want it, the room is there."

******

"I wanna talk to you." Quickly looking behind me Calvin is stood staring at me.
"Wh-what?"
"I wanna talk to you." he repeated grabbing my arm and pulling me into an empty classroom.
"Calvin let go! You're hurting me." I shouted as I pulled out of his grip
"You know I tried- I tried really hard." he muttered angrily
"What the hell are you talking about?"
"You!" he shouted slamming his hand on the desk making me jump "Do you know how hard it was for me to let you leave my house on Friday." he continued.
"Calvin let me leave." I said trying to sound less scared then I really am.
"I was nice to you at the party and then you kissed me and I thought maybe I should give her a chance, but you're just a tease aren't you." he continued, walking towards me I step backwards my legs hitting a nearby desk causing me to stumble.
"Calvin please, just let me go."
"The only reason I walked away yesterday was because Joe was there, now I know I can kick his ass but I'm gonna give you the chance to just let me get on with it." he said his hand landing on my waist
"Get on with what?"
"Don't be naive, you know what." he muttered bringing his face closer to mine
"Cal-"
"Will you kids get out of my classroom." A teacher groaned as the door opened, Calvin glared at me as I took the opportunity to get away from him quickly rushing out of the classroom.

Practically running down the corridor I turn the corner slamming into someone and dropping my stuff.
"Sorry, I'm so sorry." I repeated quickly bending down and picking up my belongings.
"Freak" the person muttered as they walked off not bothering to help.

As I grab the last of my books on the floor a hand picks it up first looking up I see Joe, how does he always turn up in the same places as me? I know this is school and he's gonna be here too, but of all the corridors to be in he has to be in this one.
"Thanks" I muttered taking it from him I stand up and walk away before he can talk to me.